Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Pet Peeve

(PSN)beastbread

My point is they DO NOT negotiate. They want their low ! price and they won't take anything else. If you notice the second I gave a price they're all like nope. Also, there are many occasions where I, as a seller, give a price I don't expect to get and the buyer just says no. I put the price higher then average because i'm expecting him to negotiate it down. Then they don't even negotiate at all.

Ok I understand what you are saying.  I get annoyed too when people just say no without any kind of counter offer.  But sometimes it just means you are both too far apart to bother negotiating further.  In your example, he offered 20 and you said 75 is the least your expecting.  At that point the writing was on the wall for him that you were not going to go much below 75.  If he knew he wasn't going much above 20, there was no point in dragging it out.  I do get annoyed when people just abruptly say "no."  They could say "nty" or even "we are too far apart, nty."

To all the posters who argue that retail stores don't negotiate or that there is always a price tag at a RL merchant i say:

1. This is not a retail store but a SWAP MEET!

2. Anyone every been to a yard sale or flea market? Sometimes there are price tags but all prices are still negotiable and many times the buyer must start by saying "will you take X for that"

3. And yes i have seen people negotiate prices in retail stors on open box, returned, floor samples and items that dont have a tag or UPC code (maybe was never marked or fell off)

^^ example of #3. I purchased a new $125+ girls LAX stick for $30 from a sporting goods store because it had no tag and no other same items with price tag. Also have seen ppl ask for discount because packaging was open/ damaged but item was brand new untouched.

I do agree that sometimes asm for offer to get an idea of items worth, but if u dont like to take or give offers then its you who are loosing out on those great deals that come along once in a while.

If you insist on posting a firm price then u will sometimes get no buisness (to high) or loose a lot (if way to low)

If you are to lazy to find the values of you items in the first place then you wont be successful in trading whether you do fixed price or offers.

In the end. This is a game with a trade channel. Play it how you like (time is plat.) enjoy. If you hate the system sell all for credits or ducats!

I have found this topic very intriguing, especially since I have actually traded with some of you that have posted your views on the subject. It is very interesting because I traded for years in table top games (miniature gaming) and this is my first time trading in virtual currency where I did not have physical items or real world money exchanging hands. 

First let me say that the most important thing about how this is set up for Warframe is that almost 100% of you recognize how important a "thank you", "no thank you", or general acknowledgement can mean to a buyer or seller. I have yet to have a rude transaction with anyone I have dealt with whether we reached an agreement or not. I have been ignored only once during a negotiation and I can only assume the person got a better offer instantly from someone else as there were no harsh words exchanged between the two of us when the message that I was ignored popped up. Though a "I got a better offer" would have been a better way to handle it, I would have completely understood. 

Personally, I don't think it's anyone's personal preference or pet peeve that is the real issue. I think it's that there is no quick and reliable way to gauge a fair value on any given item. Emphasis on quick here. You also have people that are either rolling in plat or are very careful with it. This compounds the issue further as those that are careful don't want to get taken, while others with plenty may not mind spending more for what they want. With miniatures trading, it was easy. New or like new items traded at their MSRP dollar value for dollar value and used items generally traded at dollar for dollar value or sold for 50% of MSRP. This is pretty much known and defined in the community. While negotiations were still done, it was not as much of an issue. I have $100 in these miniatures you are looking for and you have $95 in these that I'm looking for, interested in a trade? That's pretty much how it went. With this, there are so many different types of players, that it is hard for someone to know what a "fair" price is. I honestly believe that a good majority of "low ball" offers aren't that intentionally, as much as someone who is just unsure of what to pay with the little plat they have.

Are there those that are going to offer you 15-20 plat regardless? Sure. But I think that a lot of the time, there just isn't any quick and easy way to gauge what something is worth and people have a hard time letting go of what little plat they have. Another problem with how it works is that those with plat enough to spend 500+ most of the time probably have most of those expensive items while the ones that really want them are newer players or players without the time to grind (for items for plat or just the items in question) that do not have a lot of plat.  So really, most of the target market is probably not plat rich to begin with. 

Anywho, those are just my thoughts on it. I honestly believe that the majority of folks handle their trades in a polite manner (at least in my experiences so far) and do their best to make it a bearable if not enjoyable experience. 

Kindness, politeness, and possibly discounts for folks that make bulk purchases go a long way in getting and keeping customers happy. Those that exhibit those qualities in an initial deal, usually end up with my repeat business in the future.

Reverse pet peeve.

So when I AM on trade chat, I say something like "Buying Unranked Primed Continuity - PM me your price!"

Then I have 8 people pm me with "offer". I always ignore these players, if they can't decipher a sentence correctly, how can I expect them to trade properly?

Not saying that you are doing that, but sometimes players like me aren't looking to give an offer. We ask for your price because we don't know what price to offer. So it can be frustrating when looking for an item, and people only ever want you to cough up a price.

I also agree. I take people answering my question about price with the question offer as combative - we're done here.

The customer is the person buying a product/service, and if they make public that they wtb something vendors make bids, try to make the sale, and try to gain the business of the customer.

if you are hoping to sell something and respond to a persons wtb post then have a price ready. The only reason you wouldn't is because you are scared you might miss out on the maximum price possible, and you write offer to see if the buyer is uneducated enough, in a rush, desperate, etc, to pay you more than average.

That's all fine. I have my opinion about how I interact with people, but one fact remains: answering a request for price with the word offer is rude.

Anytime a person answers a question with a question, unless they have nothing personal to gain, they are being combative.

Question dodging

Question dodging is the intentional avoidance of answering a question.

This may happen when the person questioned either does not know the answer and wants to avoid embarrassment, or when the person is being interrogated or questioned in debate, and wants to avoid giving a direct response.[1] Overt question dodging can sometimes be employed humorously, in order to sidestep giving a public answer in a political discussion: when a reporter asked Mayor Richard J. Daley why Hubert Humphrey had lost the state of Illinois in the 1968 presidential election, Daley replied "He lost it because he didn't get enough votes."[2]

A false accusation of question dodging can sometimes be made as a disingenuous tactic in debate, in the informal fallacy of the loaded question. A common way out of this argument is not to answer the question (e.g. with a simple 'yes' or 'no'), but to challenge the assumption behind the question. This can lead the person questioned to be accused of "dodging the question".