Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt's Shock And Overload.

Arturion

For a frame that in its description is said to be an alternative to gun play Shock and Overload are kind of terrible damage dealers. They have great utility with the stun procs. I will not deny that. I just wish Shock could be made to be in line with other 1st abilities and have a base damage of 500-650 and Overload needs to not depend on the environment for dealing damage and could use a small damage buff. Say..from 225 base at rank 30 to 500? Maybe even completely change Overload to something called Thunderstorm and just have it rain lightning bolts down on the enemy and each bolt having an aoe. What do you guys think? The utility of these abilities is not in question just the damage output since he is SUPPOSED to be a high damage frame as stated in Volt's description.

That old description is wonky. Since Electric shield increases the damage of guns he makes very good gun frame.

heck, at least if his 1 power was also increased when shot through electric shield that would be something.

To play Volt as an alternate to gunplay your best bet is to focus on the speed power to make him a melee damage dealer.

cause you know..melee is an alternative to guns. But at the end of the day, regardless of his description, the damage aspect of his 1 and 4 powers have really fallen behind. Volt's powers should do descent damage far into late game.

Unfortunately large portions of the community are happy with his powers being limited primarily to their CC potential.

thunderstorm sounds like spamming shock >_> not really an ult 

My main thing is honestly just removing having to rely on the environment for Overload and buffing its damage. I know Thunderstorm is not creative and does not sound all that great but Overload itself is not that great except for CC.

Edited by Arturion

Yeah. It is kind of sad that most of the end game frames are CC/Utility frames with barely a handful of high damage dealers. This really needs to change. Any play style should be viable for end game not just CC/Utility.

I agree with OP. Shock's damage is really lacking ...

I've been thinking, it could be nice if Shock was like a "hold the button" type of power,  like the Amprex maybe ?

My brother always thought it would be cool to be able to fire shock in a continuous stream OR the quick shot. I agree that it would be a neat thing to do. Especially with Volt Prime's energy pool.

Shock is called Shock because it is a shock used to shock enemies. It's not Zeus' ban hammer for Christ's sake.

I am not asking for ban hammer status. 500-650 is a norm. I guess Miasma is called Miasma because it puts a cloud of gas over an area and constantly does damage to anyone that enters it...oh wait...you instead get sprayed by Alien blood Saryn apparently collects. -rolls eyes- 

I am not asking for ban hammer status. 500-650 is a norm. I guess Miasma is called Miasma because it puts a cloud of gas over an area and constantly does damage to anyone that enters it...oh wait...you instead get sprayed by Alien blood Saryn apparently collects. -rolls eyes- 

Yeah, we know, Miasma is a bomb. I have a few nits to pick with Saryn and the names of her abilities as well. Names and eye rolls aside, you don't get my point.

Shock is not meant for damage and, despite Volt's "alternative to gunplay" false advertising, is relatively fine as it is. It is a one-handed, homing, chaining, spammable stun. That's why Shock is a shock, because it bleeds CC, not damage. People go mad over the capability to stun enemies on higher levels, meanwhile Volt has that in the bag, in spades. Look, I main Volt, always have, always will. You ask for Shock to be more in-line with other first abilities in terms of damage, but the problem is that Shock is not like other first abilities, it is not a "welp this is only good up to Saturn", it is always useful, and in fact becomes more useful the harder enemies get. Frankly, the only reason why Shock is not OP is because of its damage and non-duration affected stun. I have no doubt that a couple of things could be buffed, but only with caution, as it could be a powder keg.

Edited by Insizer

Yeah, we know, Miasma is a bomb. I have a few nits to pick with Saryn and the names of her abilities as well. Names and eye rolls aside, you don't get my point.

Shock is not meant for damage and, despite Volt's "alternative to gunplay" false advertising, is relatively fine as it is. It is a one-handed, homing, chaining, spammable stun. That's why Shock is a shock, because it bleeds CC, not damage. People go mad over the capability to stun enemies on higher levels, meanwhile Volt has that in the bag, in spades. Look, I main Volt, always have, always will. You ask for Shock to be more in-line with other first abilities in terms of damage, but the problem is that Shock is not like other first abilities, it is not a "welp this is only good up to Saturn", it is always useful, and in fact becomes more useful the harder enemies get. Frankly, the only reason why Shock is not OP is because of its damage and non-duration affected stun. I have no doubt that a couple of things could be buffed, but only with caution, as it could be a powder keg.

A damage buff is not going to make Shock over powered. I am not saying increase damage and reduce its utility. Rhino Charge does 650 damage base and can rag doll people and is just as useful as shock and that is not over powered. You CAN have damage AND utility. DE just gets very nervous about buffing and nerfing anything considering they either over nerf or over buff things. Shotguns are a recent example of over buffing. At least two of them anyway. Look at Equinox. She has damage and utility in spades. Nova has damage and utility in spades. Ash has damage and utility in spades. Especially Frost after the recent buffs he has received.

I'm on the fence on this one. Whilst I agree that he is kinda described as a damage dealer and doesn't deliver, I don't think that is all that bad, I still think that although shock does very little damage and won't kill anything above level 15, that doesn't make it bad, in fact imo it's his best ability. But however I do agree that Overload sucks. The thing with Volt is that he doesn't have a specific role, he doesn't deal damage, he has shock for stunning targets, shields for defensive capability, speed for supportive/buffing capabilities (also, speedrunning missions) and overload for getting laughed at. The thing is if they change Overload to stun or deal massive damage, that would either A). Make his first ability non Viable or B). Turn him into an Ult spammer. He is a problem child to say the least. 

A damage buff is not going to make Shock over powered. I am not saying increase damage and reduce its utility. Rhino Charge does 650 damage base and can rag doll people and is just as useful as shock and that is not over powered. You CAN have damage AND utility. DE just gets very nervous about buffing and nerfing anything considering they either over nerf or over buff things. Shotguns are a recent example of over buffing. At least two of them anyway. Look at Equinox. She has damage and utility in spades. Nova has damage and utility in spades. Ash has damage and utility in spades. Especially Frost after the recent buffs he has received.

It is because of the over buffing/nerfing that I say "don't touch Shock". Yes, it could be better, but increasing damage is a hollow buff because that runs out eventually. Volt, despite his description, is about versatile utility. If Shock were to be buffed, I'd much rather have its utility buffed rather than its damage.

Also, I have no idea how Ash has utility in spades, then again I'm not an Ash user.

Electric will always fell short because of armor reduction and -50% damage on alloy armor, even with the 50% damage bonus on the forced procs. But on Corpus which doesn't have armor and +50% damage to robotics, it deals a decent damage.

Buffing the damage will barely make any differences on Grineer but will bump Volt's damage output to Corpus significantly. This will only amplify his problem of being too faction specifics.

I do agree that Overload needs improvement, but better utility will be a better universal improvement compared to damage buff.

Shock's a really good skill because of it's chain stun so i really don't see a need to buff it's damage, though it would be pretty welcome. OVerload on the other hand, probably one of the most dull ults in the game. Slightly on the weaker side in terms of damage and could use a slight buff but range is kinda laughable IMO. Having to rely on machinery to extend further is honestly a more gimmicky side of the skill and it would be way better if it chained off both on machinery AND enemies instead. IMO shock is fine but overload needs a tweak/rework or they could just make volt like excalibur where he starts starts shooting lightning Cole Mcgrath style out of his hands if they really want to stay true to that alternative to gun play tag.

Edited by xdarkstriderx

Shock doesn't need more dmg, volt deals much more dmg.
The purpose is to stun lock enemies while reloading, holstering or doing something else^^.

Well at least thats my opinion about it^^.

But Overload needs a rework

These are my suggestions.

Ability 4:

Keep the name Overload, because for my suggestion it really fits.
Now instead of overloading his environment, he should overload his and his team squad's weapons.
What nearly everyone wanted for "Speed" could become true for his new 4th ability.
Overloading the Weapons:
-triggerspeed is boosted
-travel time for bullets, arrows etc. is boosted

-reload speed? depends on how OP this would be

Alternate 4th ability:

Volts defensive stat is his shield(150). But sometimes (especially in late game) the recharge time can be a pain in the ***

So this is my idea:

Volt overloads the suits of every frame of the Squad(himself included)

Adding:

-bonus shield

-an accelerated recharge time for it

-timer for recharge is decreased (or =0)

-if the shield gets depleted, the frame emits a electricity wave, releasing the rest of the overcharged energy(like a small ver. of the current overload)

The strenght and range of the small overload, decreases as the timer for the ability goes down

(If the ability for example lasts 30 seconds and only 20 secs are left when the shield depletes, the small overload has  only 66% of his stats. If 10 secs are left while the shield blows away, only 33% of the small overload is emited.

Also, would you guys mind to post your ideas for Volt in here?

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/501755-volt-20-some-ideas/?p=5610489

This way, we could have one big thread instead of many small ones, that aren't going to be seen by DE

Edited by SteaKnight-X

For a frame that in its description is said to be an alternative to gun play Shock and Overload are kind of terrible damage dealers. They have great utility with the stun procs. I will not deny that. I just wish Shock could be made to be in line with other 1st abilities and have a base damage of 500-650 and Overload needs to not depend on the environment for dealing damage and could use a small damage buff. Say..from 225 base at rank 30 to 500? Maybe even completely change Overload to something called Thunderstorm and just have it rain lightning bolts down on the enemy and each bolt having an aoe. What do you guys think? The utility of these abilities is not in question just the damage output since he is SUPPOSED to be a high damage frame as stated in Volt's description.

YES, i always wanted some ability like in skyrim where a storm starts and lightnings strike from above, i think this would be cooler for new players also and could help Volt, for now his ult hasnt a very high range and very low dmg for that, i really wont like the idea of thunderstorm, maybe you could even make it like an aura like embers world on fire but with No duration, just energy drain

I think having an ability like Ember's, whereby there is a continual damage effect being dealt with high proc chance, would work, as at the moment, Overload is completely ineffectual compared to most of the other ultimate abilities in the game.