Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Grineer Behaviour With 17

Rajko

So far, I'm really enjoying the experience with Grineer throwing inflatable armored cover around, and mounting up in their turrets for suppressive fire.  They feel more squad oriented and cover prone, which is a nice change of pace (or a return to older behaviour, going back far enough).

A couple of odd things I've noticed so far:

- Sometimes I see some glitchy behaviour where a squad of grineer will bunch up at a tile entrance but not advance forward.

- The grineer can be less aggressive generally now, and don't prioritize manning their turrets as much as I'd expect them to

- once upon a time, grinner would bunch up behind a shield unit and move forward.  I haven't seen that happen in a while, but it would really make sense for closer range units like the scorch to prioritize that, while the lancers dig in and throw in cover

- heavies don't make any use of cover (still)  it's always been this way, but maybe it's time to look at their bullet magnet tactics again?

Other than the slight timidness and the glitchy doorway jamming, the grineer feel like a lot more fun to assault now for me.  Looking forward to seeing them evolving even more!  

I just wish punch through didn't work on shield lancers' shields because it makes them pointless and punch through mods are a pretty commonly used by most players.

I agree OP. I hope to see more AI improvements like this in the future for other factions as well.

The tile entrance mobbing glitch has been around for quite a while, unfortunately. It tends to happen when too many Grineer spawn in one room all at once. I guess it's because there's a limited number of patrol routes the AI can take in each tileset, and when too many of them cross paths they all end up crowding together trying to get past each other.

I agree with the developing AI though: with the introduction of Blunts (still keep laughing at the name) and Ramparts, the Grineer now feel more like a take-and-hold faction with great defense and lots of firepower, rather than a throw everything and hope one of them kills the enemy kind of faction.

Edited by 4MostlyHarmless2

I really like the new inflatable cover for the Grineer. I'ts kind of the right size so it covers them well (unlike rails for instance), it's kind of tough and a bit thick stopping some punch-trough. The only big problem with it that any Grineer that deploy it decides to turn their back to me, deploy the cover than take cover on the side that is facing me, which... kind of defeats it's purpose.

I just wish punch through didn't work on shield lancers' shields because it makes them pointless and punch through mods are a pretty commonly used by most players.

I agree OP. I hope to see more AI improvements like this in the future for other factions as well.

Totally agree, although it's fun to be able to puncture their shields, it wrecks the purpose of the unit completely.  I'm sure there's a halfway comprise here that makes it useful for heavies and close in units to get behind these tanks once again.

I'v hardly ran into the Ramparts. Only seen them a single time since the launch of U17.

I've seen them a lot on Phobos and in Galleons, which I guess makes sense.  

Some of the position for them gives them a pretty poor command of the area in the galleon, like the large cannon room that has 3 entrances, where 2 ramparts can spawn.  One of them commands on ramp up and the higher entrance (mostly, it's got some crates obstructing) and the other is in a place where it wants to cover the first rampart and the second ramp, but is too far back to really do the job.

On Phobos though, so far they just seem wildly awesome to assault, to commandeer, just, awesome.  

Totally agree, although it's fun to be able to puncture their shields, it wrecks the purpose of the unit completely.  I'm sure there's a halfway comprise here that makes it useful for heavies and close in units to get behind these tanks once again.

I was considering making a feedback thread about changing the way punch through works to make it more realistic and less overkill but It would be a nerf overall and I decided it wasn't worth the backlash.

Always though it would be cool to tailor how punchthrough works with specific types of weapons and make it % based rather then guaranteed.

Back to shield lancers: Exactly, punch through completely ruins their main purpose. Its not like they are hard to hit if you aim at their feet or near their head anyway. Shots always seem to find their mark. They're also easy to flank so punch through doesn't even have much of a reason to work on them.

I'm hoping to see the corpus get some cool gear as well like an osprey (or crewman) that deploys an larger energy shield similar to a blunt. Or better yet, has less durability but works like volts electric shield and increases dmg or projectile speed?

Something along those lines would be pretty cool.

There is a lot of potential for more general faction related gear and abilities like that.

I was considering making a feedback thread about changing the way punch through works to make it more realistic and less overkill but It would be a nerf overall and I decided it wasn't worth the backlash.

Always though it would be cool to tailor how punchthrough works with specific types of weapons and make it % based rather then guaranteed.

Back to shield lancers: Exactly, punch through completely ruins their main purpose. Its not like they are hard to hit if you aim at their feet or near their head anyway. Shots always seem to find their mark. They're also easy to flank so punch through doesn't even have much of a reason to work on them.

I'm hoping to see the corpus get some cool gear as well like an osprey (or crewman) that deploys an larger energy shield similar to a blunt. Or better yet, has less durability but works like volts electric shield and increases dmg or projectile speed?

Something along those lines would be pretty cool.

There is a lot of potential for more general faction related gear and abilities like that.

Makes total sense to me.

I want to point out (maybe it's always been this way?)  the amount of penetration on projectiles with loft like arrows seems to scale now with veloctiy, so that the arrow slows down and has more drop the further it penetrates through material.  So that's a start.

I'd say just flagging the shield trooper's shield as extra dense or giving it a breakable puncture resistant coating could be a fun solution.  But I don't want to scream nerf, just want to see what people thing about that unit with puncture.  I think we can probably all agree they were more fun when they interacted with other grineer troops.

It seems like faction chucked objects in general happen more and matter more, too.  I see a lot more seeker rollers at one time now, and more timed grenades, which seem to be more damaging now.  

Makes total sense to me.

I want to point out (maybe it's always been this way?)  the amount of penetration on projectiles with loft like arrows seems to scale now with veloctiy, so that the arrow slows down and has more drop the further it penetrates through material.  So that's a start.

I'd say just flagging the shield trooper's shield as extra dense or giving it a breakable puncture resistant coating could be a fun solution.  But I don't want to scream nerf, just want to see what people thing about that unit with puncture.  I think we can probably all agree they were more fun when they interacted with other grineer troops.

It seems like faction chucked objects in general happen more and matter more, too.  I see a lot more seeker rollers at one time now, and more timed grenades, which seem to be more damaging now.  

Not a bad idea. 

Giving their shields punchthrough resistance that can be worn down when punch through mods are used would be a way of making things better without fiddling with anything else for now. Just to give them a purpose again.

Definitely. I find its making the grunts more then just cannon fodder and slightly more threatening when alone or in small groups.

Its amped up the difficulty slightly without changing scaling or adding over the top mechanics.

I think small things like this are a good way of improving things over all.

Its definitely opened up some more cool ideas and mechanics for DE to explore at least.