Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How To Mod The Dread ?

DonGheddo

Question

Putting on a Point Strike will increase it's Critical Chance to 125% which makes it perfect for an all out Crit damage build. Any other mods that you should always have on primaries are Serration and Split Chamber. If you don't mind the accuracy loss then Heavy Caliber is perfect. Of course with the new Fire Rate buffs where everything is 2x for bows you could add those as well.

Serrations, heavy caliber, vital sense, point strike, split chamber, your choice of 3 elemental mods. To maximize damage, you can use critical delay, but be wary of missing. To maximize cc, add speed trigger.

-My main weapons are Tonkor and Dread. With both, be careful to head shot to maximize their potential. They're also very good with Volt.

Increase damage with Serration, Heavy Caliber is up to you at the cost of your accuracy for more damage personally I use it, Vital Sense for Critical damage multiplier increase and Point Strike for a Critical Chance Increase and Split Chamber so you fire two arrows instead of one cause we all know that a second arrow appearing out of nowhere when your drawing back one arrow is Epic. Elemental damage I've used Blast, Magnetic and Viral for Corpus. Corrosive, Radiation and Viral for Grineer. Gas and Corrosive for Infested hoped this helped.

I have a r3 Point Strike on my Dread, which brings my criteria chance to 100%. Is there any reason to put an r5 Point Strike on it? In other words, will I see a difference between 100% and 125% critical chance?

With a Rank 5 Point Strike, you have a 25% chance to deal a critical strike on top of your 100% critical strike, meaning much more damage in one shot, which would be good if you need the extra damage. 

However, if you are going for stable damage, I would recommend just using Rank 3 Point Strike. 

With a Rank 5 Point Strike, you have a 25% chance to deal a critical strike on top of your 100% critical strike, meaning much more damage in one shot, which would be good if you need the extra damage.

However, if you are going for stable damage, I would recommend just using Rank 3 Point Strike.

Ok, makes sense...thank you.

Max damage dread is silly amounts of overkill for 99% of the game's content.

Unless you're going on a raid or plan to spend an hour or more in an endless mission, don't waste your slots on max damage. Then even in raids / long term endless your team is probably running 4xCP plus various buffs and debuffs... so think about it before you jump on the bandwagon and use something detrimental like Split Chamber or Heavy Caliber. When damage is not an issue all those mod really gives you is proc bonuses, accuracy reduction and the promise that 1/10 shots will only do half damage.

I just took this build to the sim.

Serration / Point Strike / Vile Acceleration / Arrow Mutation

Vile Acceleration / Infected Clip / Rime Rounds / Thermite Rounds

With arrow mutation unranked it's a non-forma build @ 59pts and I can one hit kill any Grineer heavy with a headshot up to about lv35. Napalms seem to be a little tougher than everyone else though so I might be tempted to use Split Chamber if I had no forma on it and was expecting a bunch of those above lv30 for some reason but I'm just being careful now because I expect criticism for this idea. I wouldn't hesitate for an instant to use this build say... on the new Uranus tile set right now (22-29).

With three forma for ~ you can run four 90%'s on it.

Serration / Point Strike / Vital Sense / Speed Trigger

Hellfire / Stormbringer / Infected Clip / Cryo Rounds

I took that to the sim and I can instagib all the Grineer heavies at lv45 with headshots. No problem. Could easily go higher, I just didn't feel like continuing to test it. That's T4 or whatever you want to do. From there you'd remove damage to get utility, not add more. I even pulled out a lv45 Corpus Tech just for lulz and that died in one headshot as well, using the wrong damage types. :P

Edited by VKhaun

about the crit number,

100% = always yellow number (crit!)

125% = 25% chance to red number (super crit with super damage!)

Ok nice, I'll have to forma one more time but I'll gladly do it...cuz if you're not going for red crits on the Dread, I don't even get what you're doing with your life...

@Vkhuan: Nice breakdown and sort of what I've been running. I'd just like to do both, for those times when I just want to see red crits...mostly for funsies, though, as the build you've described has taken care of mostly everything I've run into, including t4 content up to 20 minutes. I'm sort of new to the Dread, however, and was wondering about damage fall off past the 20 minute mark.

Edited by (PS4)PeetSquared

depends on what you are doing.. general purpose would be corrosive, cold, crit, crit damage, speedup (speed trigger, etc), maybe slash if you have room left after all those.   If in groups that strip armor, use something else, adapt as needed...

ZpgCCa0.jpg

Personal build. But You may customize any way You want. Like if You are using it up close, You may consider using Heavy Caliber. Etc.

You're using the same exact build that I am on my Dread... OMG.

I do only have 3-Forma on my Dread though, so I have to use a Dual-Stat mod

Still. Good build.

Edited by AEP8FlyBoy

Ok nice, I'll have to forma one more time but I'll gladly do it...cuz if you're not going for red crits on the Dread, I don't even get what you're doing with your life...

@Vkhuan: Nice breakdown and sort of what I've been running. I'd just like to do both, for those times when I just want to see red crits...mostly for funsies, though, as the build you've described has taken care of mostly everything I've run into, including t4 content up to 20 minutes. I'm sort of new to the Dread, however, and was wondering about damage fall off past the 20 minute mark.

To answer your question, a well-modded Dread can certainly carry you close to an hour in a T4 Survival. Equivalent levels being about 50-60 Waves in a Defense of the same tier.

My 3-Forma Dread can easily take out Level 50+ Corrupted Bombards or Heavy gunners as long as I aim for headshots. If the initial shot doesn't kill them, if I proc a Bleed, It will easily bleed them out.

Serration, Split Chamber, Speed Trigger (Might use Shred now, since they both offer +60% to bows.), Fanged Fusillade (For that Extra slash damage) Vital Sense and Point Strike (Both important) and two elementals of your choosing. For my Viral Build I have to use Rime Rounds and Infected clip. (You don't have to use a dual-stat elemental, I just haven't forma'd my Dread again yet.)

This build will certainly carry you to very high level enemies. It's damage will start to fall off near level 80-90. (without a squad of Corrosive Projection of course) ;)

Good luck in your modding. Hope this offers some insight.

Serration, Split Chamber, Point Strike, Vital Sense, <option 1>, <option 2>, 90% elemental, 90% elemental

<option 1> - Vile Acceleration, Speed Trigger, or Hammer Shot

<option 2> - Fanged Fusillade, 90% elemental, or Heavy Caliber

This is the fairly standard way of building the Dread. Guaranteed to wreck face.

I'm actually considering something a little off the wall, personally. I wonder if Split Chamber could be replaced with Heavy Caliber without too much of an accuracy loss. It would result in slightly less average damage, but it'd eliminate the 10% chance of doing half damage. And it's the multishot arrow that suffers the most from Heavy Caliber, so hopefully without it the accuracy would be okay.

Edited by OniGanon

Vile Acceleration / 90% element / 90% element / Point Strike

Vital Sense / Serration / Split Chamber / Shred

...I pass on heavy caliber because I think the hit to accuracy it too much past 30 meters.

I like vile acceleration and shred for really great pull-string speed and punch through.

Vile Acceleration / 90% element / 90% element / Point Strike

Vital Sense / Serration / Split Chamber / Shred

...I pass on heavy caliber because I think the hit to accuracy it too much past 30 meters.

I like vile acceleration and shred for really great pull-string speed and punch through.

Shred is useless, bows already have innate punch through.

Shred is useless, bows already have innate punch through.

It's a bit questionable, but I wouldn't say useless. Shred would give it punch through on uncharged shots, and while the innate 1m Punch Through is usually sufficient, an extra metre can come in handy especially against Infested.

It's a bit questionable, but I wouldn't say useless. Shred would give it punch through on uncharged shots, and while the innate 1m Punch Through is usually sufficient, an extra metre can come in handy especially against Infested.

But if you are running two speed mods how often are you even firing it uncharged anyways? And if you are firing it uncharged often why even run 2 speed boost mods to begin with?

But if you are running two speed mods how often are you even firing it uncharged anyways? And if you are firing it uncharged often why even run 2 speed boost mods to begin with?

Well, I wouldn't run two speed mods on anything except the Opticor...

you should never use uncharged shot as far as bow are concerned in this game.

There's two points of contention regarding the bows (by which I'm referring to Dread and PPrime).

The first is Heavy Caliber. Critical Headshots deal 4x damage; because the Dread always crits, it always gets 4x damage. This means that headshots are a LOT more valuable in terms of damage done than body shots, making accuracy important. Now it depends on playstyle, but I like to aim for heads, meaning I won't install HCal. However a good number of players can't be bothered (or will only at point blank range) so HCal is a valid option.

The second point of contention, which is not as well known, is Split Chamber, as touched upon by VKhaun earlier in this thread.

Generally speaking, the Dread deals more damage than is needed to kill most enemies. The second arrow from SC usually does nothing at all beneficial, and it costs a lot. Outside of endless gameplay with extremely high level enemies, I wouldn't bother with adding in SC. Build so your arrow one shots the enemies you face, add in some RoF mods, and the extra slots are better off used for Reload or Ammo Mutation mods.

The same argument applies to red crits. NEVER USE CRITICAL DELAY and recognize that redcrits are usually overkill. For most content, a rank 3 Point Strike will be effectively the same as a rank 5, and cost less mod points.

So an 'economy' build which is intended for nothing beyond about level 40 would be:

Serration

Point Strike R3 and Vital Sense

Vile Acceleration or Speed Trigger

180% element of your choice (Rad for Grineer, for example)

Arrow Ammo Mutation

(Primed) Fast Hands or 3rd 90% or Bane of XXX

You can also use 60%/60% mods to reduce effective costs. 

Best 0 Forma setup: http://goo.gl/3spOnx or http://goo.gl/nMn10N (depending on 60/60 availability)

Edited by Darzk