Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hydroid 2.0

Magnus

For the longest time after its release, Hydroid was worthless. It wasn't until Pilfering Swarm came out that he had any merit for use and quickly became an important part of farming along with Nekros, an ideal way to minimize the amount of grind one would have to do to find mods or fill up on needed resources. This even included drones and other enemies that could not be grabbed by tentacles, as they could still damage such things and force multiple loot rolls, something Nekros could never do for drones. It was great for Oxium and drone mods.

Now, here we are, Hydroid the same as Nekros but significantly less reliable because his tentacles are so random and unreliable, his CC capabilities nothing but a poor man's Vauban. He's now back down in the bottom tier where he once was, his only company being Oberon.

So, here's my rework for him. You can find my other writings here.

---

1. Tidal Shield - Toggle - Hydroid pulls up a sheet of water, somewhat curved around him, and maintains a current upwards as he holds it with his left hand. It blocks all incoming fire as it's held, and Hydroid and any teammates can freely shoot through his end. Any enemy that tries to run through it gets flung up into the air instead of passing through.

Hydroid can only walk while maintaining the shield and can only operate weapons that would require one hand.

Pushing 1 again will make Hydroid throw the shield outwards, flinging all enemies it hits back along with it while dealing damage and continuing to block bullets, only vanishing upon hitting a wall.

Tidal Shield is affected by Strength and Range. Range changes how wide the shield is.

Augment - Tidal Surge - Any ally to walk under or through the shield gains bonus magnetic damage based on Hydroid's strength.

Augment 2 - Glacial Current - Tidal Shield will move much slower upon release, and instead of ragdolling enemies back, freeze them in place for a time based on duration.

Reason to Update: This is a combination and improvement of Tempest Barrage and Tidal Surge. Alone, both were very lackluster. Tidal Shield provides a moving shield with the same CC and an added defense for the same effect, making a skill worthy of a Warframe.

---

2. Undertow - The same, except you can move around slowly in it now.

Augment - Curative Undertow - Also the same, except teammates will move where Hydroid moves.

Augment 2 - Rolling Tides - While in Undertow, tapping roll will cause the puddle to well up and flood in the direction pushed. Enemies held within Undertow at the time, as well as any enemies hit by Rolling Tides, will be moved at first, and then ragdolled outward in the direction rolled. You do NOT exit Undertow from performing this, nor do any players if using Curative Undertow as well. Rolling Tides costs an extra 10 energy on top of the toggle.

Reason to Update: Now you can use it for stealth a bit more than you could before. Still can use it to recover shields and etc. You're also giving more control over your CC. Find some stray enemies, pull them in, and throw them over into some tentacles!

---

3. Riptide - In a massive circle around Hydroid's casting point, the floor visually has small trickles of water flowing around on it towards the center. Any enemy to step into this area will have their feet grabbed by small tentacles and physically dragged towards the center. Slamming into an object will do bonus damage, but also drag the enemy around it eventually.

Once at the center, enemies are free to stand up and move around in a small area. Only one Riptide may be active at a time.

Riptide is affected by Strength, Duration, and Range. Strength affects damage, duration affects how long Riptide stays in place, and range is its overall size.

Augment - Oil Spill - Enemies affected by Riptide will be covered in oil, slowing their movement upon recovering and making them more vulnerable to Heat damage.

Augment 2 - Bermuda Triangle - Gain the ability to create three Riptides, each smaller than the original. Casting Tentacle Swarm on any one of the three will create tentacles in each active Riptide. (Idea by TPDG.)

---

4. Tentacle Swarm - Essentially the same. Remove range affecting how far you can send the tentacles, and only have it affect how far they spread out from that area.

If there are no enemies in the area, it spreads out evenly and blocks the path, or makes a large cluster of tentacles to cover an open area more thoroughly. Such as, if targeting an area between two pillars, tentacles will intelligently place themselves on the pillars to cover the most distance, blocking the area entirely, while other tentacles would dot the area to grab anything to sneak by.

If cast while looking anywhere within Riptide, Tentacles will automatically fill in all of Riptide's center. Riptide pushing enemies into Tentacles results in Riptide's bonus damage of slamming an enemy into something.

Most importantly, more Tentacles can be cast while one set is already active and can also grab drones.

Augment - Pilfering Swarm - The same.

Reason to Update: Basically making the tentacles smarter makes the power better. Having it work in conjunction with Riptide is also a big bonus to quickly throw enemies into it. Being able to spread out more CC and recast it, much like Vauban, puts him on par with Vauban.

And now that it can grab drones, he has an edge up on Nekros for looting drone tables.

-----

Hydroid was never special originally, made for CC but always outclassed by Vauban. The full idea of this rework is to make him more valuable for CC as a mix between Frost and Vauban, while also creating a massive synergy with both of them, as well as many other frames.

Riptide itself would drag enemies into a Snowglobe to freeze or become slow, only for Frost to recast and force enemies to slam into walls far away. It can be used to indirectly amplify Repelling Bastille, bumping out whatever enemies aren't being held up and forced into a loop while players happily pick off each one held with whatever headshots, or with Banshee in the team, Sonar points.

Even with the augment, Oil Spill, Ember becomes a great assistant to Hydroid, furthering the damage her world on fire does to the enemies stuck in whatever trap, boosting it further with Accelerant, and even casting her imbue on teammates for an even higher amount of damage.

Like Vauban, Hydroid can now also shut down areas with Tentacles in his own way, giving merit to using one or the other on their own. With Tidal Shield, he can go through an Exterminate while taking little to no damage as he slows down for more serious targets, or in defense, blocks against heavy units as he kills them, before releasing the shield to brush away the trash.

With these changes, Hydroid keeps the objective defending one way or another, and not just that, but helps other frames set up their own powers for a maximum benefit. And still can help out with more loot drops at the same time.

Edited by Extraxi

---

1. Tidal Shield - Toggle - Hydroid pulls up a sheet of water, somewhat curved around him, and maintains a current upwards as he holds it with his left hand. It blocks all incoming fire as it's held, and Hydroid and any teammates can freely shoot through his end. Any enemy that tries to run through it gets flung up into the air instead of passing through.

Hydroid can only walk while maintaining the shield and can only operate weapons that would require one hand.

Pushing 1 again will make Hydroid throw the shield outwards, flinging all enemies it hits back along with it while dealing damage and continuing to block bullets, only vanishing upon hitting a wall.

I love this idea, and the skill I quoted is probably my favorite skill idea. Warframe is basically built on the idea of mobility, yet we have no frame with the ability to provide mobile cover. Sure we have snow globes and volt shields, but they are in the end a static object. When so much of the game rewards mobility to not have a ton of mobile utility skills feels wrong. I also can't see a better way to start than to provide a frame with a unique set of skills with solid synergy between them.

Edited by TPDG

I play T4 interception with Hydroid.

I have him on around

186% range

165% power strenght

and 165% efficiency 

with nearly no duration

I always play him with telos akbolto, because the syndicate ability finishes off everyone in the pool and in the area. 

He's a good choice when you are too lazy to run around slicing everyone. You just drown them in your pool and finish them off with telos akbolto power.

I play T4 interception with Hydroid.

I have him on around

186% range

165% power strenght

and 165% efficiency 

with nearly no duration

I always play him with telos akbolto, because the syndicate ability finishes off everyone in the pool and in the area. 

He's a good choice when you are too lazy to run around slicing everyone. You just drown them in your pool and finish them off with telos akbolto power.

Range doesn´t affect undertow.

@OP: leave my tidal surge alone, it´s my favourite ability about Hydroid.

Edited by Kuestenjung

---

Tidal Shield is affected by Strength and Range. Range changes how wide the shield is.

Augment - Tidal Surge - Any ally to walk under or through the shield gains bonus magnetic damage based on Hydroid's strength.

Augment 2 - Glacial Current - Tidal Shield will move much slower upon release, and instead of ragdolling enemies back, freeze them in place for a time based on duration.

Reason to Update: This is a combination and improvement of Tempest Barrage and Tidal Surge. Alone, both were very lackluster. Tidal Shield provides a moving shield with the same CC and an added defense for the same effect, making a skill worthy of a Warframe.

---

3. Riptide - In a massive circle around Hydroid's casting point, the floor visually has small trickles of water flowing around on it towards the center. Any enemy to step into this area will have their feet grabbed by small tentacles and physically dragged towards the center. Slamming into an object will do bonus damage, but also drag the enemy around it eventually.

Once at the center, enemies are free to stand up and move around in a small area. Only one Riptide may be active at a time.

Riptide is affected by Strength, Duration, and Range. Strength affects damage, duration affects how long Riptide stays in place, and range is its overall size.

Augment - Oil Spill - Enemies affected by Riptide will be covered in oil, slowing their movement upon recovering and making them more vulnerable to Heat damage.

Augment 2 - Bermuda Triangle - Gain the ability to create three Riptides, each smaller than the original. Casting Tentacle Swarm on any one of the three will create tentacles in each active Riptide. (Idea by TPDG.)

I love these two ideas, simply because they are different from what every other Warframe has. If I had to choose one power, though, it would definitely be the first. As TPDG said, Warframe is extremely mobile, and why we don't have a form of mobile cover is beyond me.

I really enjoy your tidal shield idea greatly! I would love for that skill to replace anyone of his existing skills, it s simple yet fitting ability for a pirate/water frame.

However one thing about tentacles i don't think you address, if an enemy has to be grabbed by a tentacle it has to be in a controlled manner so we don't have the issue of Tentcle swarm being unwanted CC due to mobs being flung around in an erratic manner. May i suggest that when a tentacle grabs an enemy the enemy is hung upside down and continually shaken (steadily) to inflict damage? With the occasional slamming the enemy to floor for a more thematic feel. This would allow tentacle swarm CC to be alot more usable as the tentacles seeks out enemies.

For the longest time after its release, Hydroid was worthless. It wasn't until Pilfering Swarm came out that he had any merit for use and quickly became an important part of farming along with Nekros, an ideal way to minimize the amount of grind one would have to do to find mods or fill up on needed resources. This even included drones and other enemies that could not be grabbed by tentacles, as they could still damage such things and force multiple loot rolls, something Nekros could never do for drones. It was great for Oxium and drone mods.

Now, here we are, Hydroid the same as Nekros but significantly less reliable because his tentacles are so random and unreliable, his CC capabilities nothing but a poor man's Vauban. He's now back down in the bottom tier where he once was, his only company being Oberon.

So, here's my rework for him. You can find my other writings here.

---

I like the idea, but i think it would make him too OP... how about this?

Tidal shield: creates a fixed waterfall-shield that reflects bullets and prevents melees such as infested from going through and receives damage when they attempt to or collide with the waterfall shield. Having enough counters on the shield via bullet intake or collisions, makes the shield explode within X radius. Have this activate at the same time with at least 3 more Tidal shields to have that volt-like utility as well as frost-like defense for high tier jobs.

Action: 1 sec cast, range:beside hydroid (naturally as close to him as possible) power range affects the range                                         cast.

Tidal Surge: Still duration based as per its distance but allow hydroid to cancel the skill upon re-click. This makes hydroid flexible in terms for his preferred distance to travel. Hopefully some animation modifications too :)).

Undertow: sh*tty puddle ._.

REPLACE WITH

Mist: Duration based also, however have hydroid drain energy per second that this skill is activated; also toggled on/off by re-clicking. 

*1st perk: Hydroid casts a mist that allows him to go invisible within the area of effect. (power range)

2nd perk: creates a damage over time as against enemies that enter the mist only to the extent of the                                                        AoE

**3rd perk: either a) enemies that get caught inside upon cast receives blind OR

b) enemies that get caught inside upon cast receives confusion

*Upon leaving the area of the mist, hydroid will become visible to enemies.

**Enemies that are caught within the AoE upon cast gets affected by either A or B but enemies entering the mist only receive damage over time.

Tentacle Swarm: Duration based, may now be toggled on/off upon re-clicking + since it shall be duration based now, have hydroid drain energy over time as well. This imo allows hydroid to be less OP... i thunk D:

Effect 1: Have tentacle swarm only spawn at a certain AoE radius on hydroid's target area (PLS PLS                                                          PLS no more random derpy tentacles on the ceiling... its weird and unproductive... :| )                                                                  Meaning, there's a certain area where X number of tentacles will spawn from side-by-side                                                            which would grab X number of enemies based on the tentacles.

Effect 2: Tentacles would have the tendency to grab up to X number of enemies. (The range of grab is                                                      affected by power range.) Tentacles would then start smashing the enemies and upon death,                                                      would grab another enemy till the end of duration or upon deactivation of hydroid.

I think hydroid is due such buffs so as to increase the frame's utility in high tier modes (and also, the puddle.. really..... pls.. no...).

I would like to think that giving hydroid a better 3rd skill like the mist I suggested is to have him not only as a caster/support but also allow him to have ninja-like skills i.e. going invisible. That way it won't be hard to revive those sweeper frames when your squad is surrounded by high lvl enemies.

Any other suggestions or comments is appreciated; FOR THE GLORY OF THE PIRATE!!

side note: why not make hydroid have something to say or mutter like valkyr when she goes hysteria or warcry...make hydroid go "yo... ho... hoo...." or "arrrr...." when casting mist for example.. dunno, just a random idea.. :)

Edited by deviantru

what hydroid needs is just current abilities fixed

-tidal surge => let us cancel it by meleeing or by going into undertow. cost reduced to 25

-undertow => let us move at walking speed in it, remove the stupid submerging of enemies which does not stop auras agianst your team. it is more annoying than helpful. let us use tidal surge out of undertow. the only use it has is to exploit interception by submergin enemies till map cap is reached thus no further enemies spawn and this is questionable at best.

-tempest barrage => fix the issue causing it to hit the ceiling, the projectiles should home into enemies. ability to cancel and recast at different spot

-tentacles => fix spawning it anywhere but on target. fix tentacles not fetching targets even if they walk right into it. if tentacles have no target fetched they should submerge and reappear on an enemy and fetch it. ability to cancel and recast of course

-abilities count as one handed abilities thus can be done midair and not interrupting shooting/reloading

Edited by (PS4)CptCosmic

I like Hydroid's Tempest Barrage and other abilities a lot mainly for its concept, and I don't think a complete rework is at all necessary. With some minor changes, he could become a lot better.

Tempest Barrage - Range mods affect impact radius and the salvos tend to home in on enemies, allowing for more effective coverage.

Tidal Surge - Enemies are dragged the full length of the wave and launched at the end

Undertow - Fine as is

Tentacle Swarm - Tentacles will spawn next to enemies and will actively lash out towards enemies instead of random flailing. The tentacles should also generate a small AoE when doing a ground slam with an enemy.

I like the idea, but i think it would make him too OP...

I disagree and would rather you expand on how you mean he's OP from this. Many other frames have very useful CC, but it doesn't make them OP.

Now that coptering is gone, movement speed buffing moves are more valuable than ever when it comes to getting through crowds of death.

Getting good with Bullet makes it very hard for enemies to hit you at all. You can easily float through level 100 enemies so long as you don't miss a beat.

I like Hydroid's Tempest Barrage and other abilities a lot mainly for its concept, and I don't think a complete rework is at all necessary. With some minor changes, he could become a lot better.

You didn't really suggest any changes at all. Both Tempest Barrage and Tidal Surge essentially do the same thing, targeted CC. Combining them into a rail of CC with added defense benefits only makes it much more useful, freeing up a space for another unique skill that grants massive synergy with other frames. Why not have Hydroid have more useful skills?

You didn't really suggest any changes at all. Both Tempest Barrage and Tidal Surge essentially do the same thing, targeted CC. Combining them into a rail of CC with added defense benefits only makes it much more useful, freeing up a space for another unique skill that grants massive synergy with other frames. Why not have Hydroid have more useful skills?

I did suggest changes.

Minor changes, like I said earlier in the post. Tempest Barrage and Tidal Surge do targeted CC, but one does it in an area and locks it down without you needing to be there, while the other is a mobility power as well. 

Tidal Shield really isn't fitting the pirate theme at all (pirates aren't known for using shields) and is essentially a tweak on a suggestion that was made for an augment for lightning shield + an exalted blade effect.

Riptide would have very little use unless it moved creatures in towards the center very fast, and even then, the player would simply much better off just killing the enemies.  Sounds just like a weak vortex all in all.

In essence none of these changes will make him any better for CC than as you already mentioned that Vauban wouldn't just be better at.

Tidal Shield really isn't fitting the pirate theme at all (pirates aren't known for using shields) and is essentially a tweak on a suggestion that was made for an augment for lightning shield + an exalted blade effect.

Riptide would have very little use unless it moved creatures in towards the center very fast, and even then, the player would simply much better off just killing the enemies.  Sounds just like a weak vortex all in all.

In essence none of these changes will make him any better for CC than as you already mentioned that Vauban wouldn't just be better at.

Usefulness > Theme

Also, you basically just said why use CC at all, to which I would have to say 'Vauban is useful for a reason against Infested, and even Excalibur has Radical Blind to help out at times' so I cannot take your opinions on CC seriously as they seem to be from lack of experience. Just know that he will be better at CC with it.

Tidal Shield sounds awesome, as does the reliability tweak to Tentacles.

However, I feel like Undertow should be combined with Tidal Surge somehow for a complete mobility package. Your proposed moveset feels too static; Tidal Surge at least gives him the properties of crashing waves on his enemies. After playing a lot of Splatoon recently, I think it'd be sweet if Hydroid somehow was able to splash his environment and swim around in it like you can in that game, though that's a bit too much to ask for in WF. Perhaps we can come up with some kind of compromise?

I like this first ability idea, because it would just be so awesome. I'm not sure if it would fit into theme or whatever, but meh. On the other hand, I really like the idea of a mist/fog ability because it would REALLY fit in with the pirate theme.

Mist: Duration based also, however have hydroid drain energy per second that this skill is activated; also toggled on/off by re-clicking. 

*1st perk: Hydroid casts a mist that allows him to go invisible within the area of effect. (power range)

2nd perk: creates a damage over time as against enemies that enter the mist only to the extent of the                                                        AoE

**3rd perk: either a) enemies that get caught inside upon cast receives blind OR

b) enemies that get caught inside upon cast receives confusion

*Upon leaving the area of the mist, hydroid will become visible to enemies.

**Enemies that are caught within the AoE upon cast gets affected by either A or B but enemies entering the mist only receive damage over time.

I'm not sure if I'd like it to work the way deviantru has suggested, but I like the idea of him having a mist/fog ability.

Edited by BloodForTheBloodGods

I'm not sure if I'd like it to work the way deviantru has suggested, but I like the idea of him having a mist/fog ability.

RIGHT? yea i guess it needs a few tweeks, but at least give him invi right? well, i think anything would do just to replace undertow tho...

Tidal Shield sounds awesome, as does the reliability tweak to Tentacles.

However, I feel like Undertow should be combined with Tidal Surge somehow for a complete mobility package. Your proposed moveset feels too static; Tidal Surge at least gives him the properties of crashing waves on his enemies. After playing a lot of Splatoon recently, I think it'd be sweet if Hydroid somehow was able to splash his environment and swim around in it like you can in that game, though that's a bit too much to ask for in WF. Perhaps we can come up with some kind of compromise?

I've gotten that request a few times. I'm writing up something to edit OP with later today.

RIGHT? yea i guess it needs a few tweeks, but at least give him invi right? well, i think anything would do just to replace undertow tho...

I like undertow...

Maybe not Invis... but something more thematic, like ships lost in fog.

Fog of War

Enemies within fog can no longer see to target Tenno.

They can still hear, and will be drawn/attack towards sound and gunfire.

Enemies will take damage from collisions from objects and allies/enemies.

Friendly fire will be enabled for enemies, and can mistake gunfire sound for enemies, and target allies.

Visually it may look similar to the rift, maybe less intrusive.

Edited by BloodForTheBloodGods

I like undertow...

Maybe not Invis... but something more thematic, like ships lost in fog.

Fog of War

Enemies within fog can no longer see to target Tenno.

They can still hear, and will be drawn/attack towards sound and gunfire.

Enemies will take damage from collisions from objects and allies/enemies.

Friendly fire will be enabled for enemies, and can mistake gunfire sound for enemies, and target allies.

Visually it may look similar to the rift, maybe less intrusive.

i get ya, but maybe a little less tenno.. say they only lose sight of hydroid, making everyone in the party benefit in the fog/mist via augment?... however i still fail to see how i can visualize this in actual combat... :( but i do get you about ships being lost in the fog given that it only have an AoE. My purpose of the mist is to maximize hydroid's mobility, when he's using undertow, his mobility isn't that useful cuz he's just sitting there...

I disagree and would rather you expand on how you mean he's OP from this. Many other frames have very useful CC, but it doesn't make them OP.

What i meant was only the 1st skill being OP, i mean, if hydroid can carry the shield, and have the effect as that of volt's shield where ally bullets go through would be OP... thats why i suggest that instead of the bullets going through, the shield would more or less "bide" meaning it would absorb the incoming fire and would explode in a radius if it had reached its limit of say X damage? any thoughts?

Edited by deviantru

Usefulness > Theme

Also, you basically just said why use CC at all, to which I would have to say 'Vauban is useful for a reason against Infested, and even Excalibur has Radical Blind to help out at times' so I cannot take your opinions on CC seriously as they seem to be from lack of experience. Just know that he will be better at CC with it.

If you feel usefulness is greater than theme then whats the point of anymore than a single frame, one that can do everything is clearly more useful than the all themes we currently have.  We have so many frame's simply because the theme is the important part.  How a frame does something (it's Theme) is more important for making it individual despite similar effects.

I said nothing of the sort about not using a CC (though you have little idea what my experience actually is to make presumptions on it).  What I said was Riptide would be basically useless, given the description, as all it is doing is moving enemies to it's center (dragging only implies forced movement), with a conditional damage if the enemy even hit blocking terrain.  

I gather you have some knockdown or ragdoll effect with the power, you failed to clarify, thus making it an effectively long range vortex.

However this suggestion (quoted below) actually maintained Hydroid's theme and improves on his CC.  Theme and effectiveness don't have to be mutually exclusive.   Also as a minor tweak DE is more likely to implement it in the short term.  Plenty of players like his power-set as they are (few ppl are saying they dont need tweaks by liking them however).

Tempest Barrage - Range mods affect impact radius and the salvos tend to home in on enemies, allowing for more effective coverage.

Tidal Surge - Enemies are dragged the full length of the wave and launched at the end

Undertow - Fine as is

Tentacle Swarm - Tentacles will spawn next to enemies and will actively lash out towards enemies instead of random flailing. The tentacles should also generate a small AoE when doing a ground slam with an enemy.

Edited by Loswaith