Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My View Of What Mag Is Missing To Be Used More.

gkuoni

So just to make things clear, sure you might all say things about Mag being magnetic based warframe and such, however that niche has to stop.

Mag is only good against Corpus and Corrupted (somewhat). Her biggest downside is that 3 of her abilities are focused against shields. 

My idea:

Change her Pull and Crush to no longer deal Magnetic damage. Instead, make it deal any other damage type such as: puncture or electric (or another damage type).

Keep her shield polarize as is.

What this will do:

This will make it so that she can actually be used for more than just corpus or void. The damage she deals against grineer and infested is always reduced to nothing simply because magnetic is terrible.

Another solution:

Make magnetic more viable against other factions than just corpus and 'void'.

EDIT:

Bullet Attractor change:

(Could be done as is or with augment)

Bullet attractor will cause nearby enemies to get pulled  towards the affected enemy (they won't get ragdolled), making it so that each bullet they fire will be redirected towards themselves. The bullets shot will take all damage from all enemies shooting into and from the bullet attractor, and from the warframes shooting at the bullet attractor.

Edited by gkuoni

I think Crush needs a bigger rework than just a damage type change. Its only utility is a short knockdown, which Pull does better anyway. The damage isn't fantastic either, even against Corpus. (And damage against Corpus is what shield polarize is for, right?)

I think Crush needs a bigger rework than just a damage type change. Its only utility is a short knockdown, which Pull does better anyway. The damage isn't fantastic either, even against Corpus. (And damage against Corpus is what shield polarize is for, right?)

My personal crazy idea for crush is to make it a toggle type move where she keeps enemies suspended in air during 2nd damage tick. Pressing 4 again will make her crush and drop enemies. There could be a duration attached to suspension, or maybe it could just be an energy drain since it would make mag immobile.

For added craziness, I would make the mass of suspended enemies movable while in air. It would be a limited range, but enough to be of some utility. Enemies can be held in air for a breather, for teammates to attack, or moved out of way.

After the crush, enemies will be rag-dolled the way they are now. I would also give crush a 20% armor reduction.

Edited by Hypernaut1

My personal crazy idea for crush is to make it a toggle type move where she keeps enemies suspended in air during 2nd damage tick. Pressing 4 again will make her crush and drop enemies. There could be a duration attached to suspension, or maybe it could just be an energy drain since it would make mag immobile.

For added craziness, I would make the mass of suspended enemies movable while in air. It would be a limited range, but enough to be of some utility. Enemies can be held in air for a breather, for teammates to attack, or moved out of way.

After the crush, enemies will be rag-dolled the way they are now. I would also give crush a 20% armor reduction.

Seems interesting...

This would actually be amazing. To make it fair it would deal less damage, however would drain energy more while moving around. However, you are locking in the lifting animation (where you can't attack with weapons and it will show slight movement of hands for suspension). You might then also move slower.

If they would add that and maybe give mag some more energy for casting (maybe solely to mag prime - then also of course change the damage type) she would then become useful for the utility she is meant to be.

My complaint about this suggestion is that she ismagnetic based Warframe. Therefore, her abilities should continue to deal magnetic damage. However, magnetic damage is only good against shielded opponents or those with a robotic archetype. Allowing her abilities to deal an additional damage type or have some sort of debuff attached to the ability would make it more useful. Pull should, by default, pull anything magnetic (ammo, resource containers). Greedy Pull should not have to be an augment. That being said, that should be an added "bonus" to Mag, not her main attraction. A possible debuff that could be applied to abilities could be Residual Magnetism. Residual Magnetism means that for a short duration after using Pull or Crush, enemies have a chance to have any magnetic projectiles pulled back toward the enemy, dealing damage. The chance should be lowered over time until it is nothing. Crush's residual magnetism could be much stronger than Pull's, with the possibility of pulling nearby enemies into an affected enemy, dealing damage and knocking them down. Pull should have an augment where it pulls enemy armor off, reducing armor by X%. Crush should have an augment that can pull items such as ammo, and resource contains toward the enemy after using crush, dealing damage as they walk by.

I don't see it as an issue that Mag is most effective against the Corpus, I think the issue more that the Corpus are a joke compared to the Grineer (and in some ways even the Infested). The factions are grossly unbalanced towards armored enemies since they exponentially become tougher to kill than unarmored ones, which only serves to devalue Mag's skillset as well as magnetic damage in general.

Magnetic damage could afford to be made a bit more useful, but I don't think Mag's damage type should be changed so much as the Grineer shouldn't become such massive meat-tanks to the point where you can't afford to focus on anything but frames, weapons, and damage that excel in damaging/reducing armor.

As for Mag's skillset, Bullet Attractor should hop to a new target after you kill the initial one and possibly auto-target weakspots on certain enemies (even if it's at the cost of x2 damage bonus). And rather than just life enemies for a few seconds and deal damage, Crush should physically use the enemies you pick up as magnetically-charged projectiles, either slamming them into one another or launching them at enemies outside the casting radius. Pull and Shield Polarize are fine as is IMO (although it would be nice if Shield Transference gave overshields to the whole team rather than just Mag).

As for the bullet attractor change, an augment should be created as to where bullet attractor can be detonated by cancelling it prematurely. Detonating it would pull all enemies within range of the bullet attractor to be ragdolled toward the target enemy. Damage done would scale with both enemies in the radius and the amount of damage recieved from bullets. Therefore, enemy bullets flying into the sphere would act as a way to keep Mag viable in endless scaling missions. However, the damage will be capped at 90% damage that the projectile would've done otherwise.

Example:

If an enemy level 40, and for math reasons doing 100 damage per shot, the amount of damage that would be recieved by enemies within the bullet attractor sphere would be 90 for each shot he fired. Therefore, if he fired 10 shots, they would each recieve 900 damage.

Keep in mind, this may need to be tweaked in terms of numbers for game balance, but so far, we have very few endgame options in terms of damage scaling.

I don't see it as an issue that Mag is most effective against the Corpus, I think the issue more that the Corpus are a joke compared to the Grineer (and in some ways even the Infested). The factions are grossly unbalanced towards armored enemies since they exponentially become tougher to kill than unarmored ones, which only serves to devalue Mag's skillset as well as magnetic damage in general.

Magnetic damage could afford to be made a bit more useful, but I don't think Mag's damage type should be changed so much as the Grineer shouldn't become such massive meat-tanks to the point where you can't afford to focus on anything but frames, weapons, and damage that excel in damaging/reducing armor.

As for Mag's skillset, Bullet Attractor should hop to a new target after you kill the initial one and possibly auto-target weakspots on certain enemies (even if it's at the cost of x2 damage bonus). And rather than just life enemies for a few seconds and deal damage, Crush should physically use the enemies you pick up as magnetically-charged projectiles, either slamming them into one another or launching them at enemies outside the casting radius. Pull and Shield Polarize are fine as is IMO (although it would be nice if Shield Transference gave overshields to the whole team rather than just Mag).

I do see a thing that Overshields could give shields to everyone, however it would have to be 75% of the shields that mag gets from one casting (imo).

EDIT: However the grineer scaling is reduced to a pulp with corrosive projection.

Edited by gkuoni