Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Buff Glaive/kestrel/halikar/miter In The Following Way

YagoXiten

Currently these weapons bounce with respect to the angle they hit terrain. This works nicely for the first bounce, since you can aim it effectively off of the floor or walls with enough skill. After the first bounce, however, this does nothing more than look pretty, waste time, and ever so rarely cause the occasional lucky glancing blow.

I propose that they instead bounce with respect to the angle they hit terrain, with additional aiming adjustments to prioritize the closet available target, such as containers, or more importantly, enemies. This does not mean that they would home in, however, and quickly moving targets could still dodge the bounce.

This does two things: Buffs the effective damage output of these underpowered weapons, and also gives flight speed mods more use.

I have included a lovely diagram for those of you who are visual learners.

EDIT:

Now with a proper diagram because my link isn't broken anymore!

http://oi59.tinypic.com/ipp4jp.jpg

Edited by YagoXiten

WHERE'S THE DIAGRAM?! I'M A VISUAL LEARNER!!!

Also, yeah, I'd like this change. There is absolutely no benefit to using the Rebound mod currently and if you do you're a fool.

Sorry, my link broke and I had to fix it.

It's there now, though!

I wish the blades homed in on targets.

That's basically what I'm proposing, except it has a chance to miss*. You don't want to give Eviscerator's homing Miter blades. If you can't dodge those, you'd die to their silly bleed procs even more.

Edited by YagoXiten

This would be a great change to actually be able to use the throwing part of the weapons instead of just reducing the bounces to make it semi-functional against a single target. What is upsetting is the targeting on the Halikar right now though. The first attack NEEDS to be accurate to where your cursor is to avoid the Halikar problem where it likes to hit cameras instead of the enemy in front of me, then successive bounces can have semi-home.

Edited by Aezryn

+1 OP

personally i dont think this should be an innate feature of the weapons, but i think this should be what the rebound mod does [to actually give it something useful]

but i also think that all of the glaive-type mods need to offer dual stats, as they require too many slots and give too little

FWIW power throw is a great example of this, since it not only gives punchthrough but also the blast

quick return could give less bounces as well as additional flight-speed [say half what whirlwind gives]

whirlwind could give its base flight-speed bonus as well as additional base dmg 

then rebound could give the additional bounces as well as the better post-bounce tracking

IMHO these changes would really be a huge boon to the throwing melee weapons

still sad that i cannot throw the glaive from a wall-latch or from a zipline however =[ [epic sadface] {this would be an awesome QoL improvement as well}

+1 OP

personally i dont think this should be an innate feature of the weapons, but i think this should be what the rebound mod does [to actually give it something useful]

but i also think that all of the glaive-type mods need to offer dual stats, as they require too many slots and give too little

FWIW power throw is a great example of this, since it not only gives punchthrough but also the blast

quick return could give less bounces as well as additional flight-speed [say half what whirlwind gives]

whirlwind could give its base flight-speed bonus as well as additional base dmg 

then rebound could give the additional bounces as well as the better post-bounce tracking

IMHO these changes would really be a huge boon to the throwing melee weapons

still sad that i cannot throw the glaive from a wall-latch or from a zipline however =[ [epic sadface] {this would be an awesome QoL improvement as well}

Yes, throwing weapons would still require additional buffs, in addition to this, though I still assert this should be an innate feature of the weapons. The Miter wouldn't have access to Rebound, for example, and I should not have to put a mod on my weapon to make it function at all. And I can't really say bouncing around pointlessly and wasting my time I could be spending /using/ the weapon is actually functioning.

the wall bounce being utterly useless because it doesnt "gravitate" towards enemies is something that leads a lot of players to run -bounce. They never experience the magic that is the "hit an enemy, it moves to a close enemy" thing you get when you actually have a bounce (since -bounce removes them all). In esscence you want the bounce to behave the same regardless of your bouncing off "platform" and i can agree with that

the wall bounce being utterly useless because it doesnt "gravitate" towards enemies is something that leads a lot of players to run -bounce. They never experience the magic that is the "hit an enemy, it moves to a close enemy" thing you get when you actually have a bounce (since -bounce removes them all). In esscence you want the bounce to behave the same regardless of your bouncing off "platform" and i can agree with that

Pretty much. And it's a real shame. When the Glaive first came out so long ago I was super excited for the bounces, but they weren't useable. For awhile, just after Quick Return and Power Throw came out, it was a power house, since the thrown damage on it ignored armor. But when damage 2.0 changed, the damage tanked dramatically as a result of the non-armor ignoring damage, plus you can't really use it reliably without running Quick Return, which hurts your damage even more.

It'd be nice to see them returned to something around their former strength, and I think improving the base mechanics of the weapon would help a lot.

Miter + Bullet attractor should hit the same target repeatedly but in reality the blade just loop around their legs....

It will occasionally actually hit the target again. And it's enough to still provide a significant DPS boost. But I shouldn't have to play Mag to rely upon those weapons. Even if it's still only slightly more reliable.