Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hotfix 17.1.5

DE_Adam

BUG: Lotus always says the mission was aborted even after we DEFEAT the G3. Is this supposed to happen? I think it is a bug.

BUG: Lotus always says the mission was aborted even after we DEFEAT the G3. Is this supposed to happen? I think it is a bug.

___________INCOMING_________

=====GREAT WALL OF TEXT=====

First, the immediately-relevant stuff:

I can't say I'm surprised in the slightest about the changes to CL heading in the 'ubernerf' direction, though I'm quite annoyed that it now requires the full animation time to kill, which is pretty slow when you've got a max of less than 30 seconds in stealth.

On the other hand, I'm thoroughly saddened about the upcoming changes to how syndicate mods won't affect exalted blade. The AoE procs became useless after a while, but the fact that we can no longer get the recovery or the passive buffs from them while using Exalted Blade is rather -- to put it mildly -- disheartening.

I love my Excal. He was my starter frame, and I got him back when he still had Super Jump as his 3rd and Radiant Javelin as his ult. I have nearly 750 hours logged on this game since the start of March 2015 alone.

Of that time, 450 of them are as Excal.

Thank you ever so much for the imminent killing of one of the most unique aspects of his ult. Other frames can just keep their active syndicate weapon stuck in their hands while they gain affinity from other players killing things nearby. And use their powers in the meantime. But excal?

No special passive or regen for him anymore.

Seriously, DE, while I'm definitely not supportive of all the changes you make, I do understand most of them.

But this is not going to go in the direction you intend.

At all.

The reason people used Covert Lethality the way they did was because it allowed them to survive almost indefinitely with good teamwork, and decent luck -- and because it allowed them to defeat threats as quickly as they appeared.

Enemy-damage and armor/health are scaling in ways which are broken. They increase without limit. And thus so must the players attempt to devise strategies which bypass these limitations in clever ways.

What you are effectively doing by deciding to implement this change is punish players who have played intelligently.

I can understand Covert Lethality, because that removed the limit entirely, but the buffs provided by those syndicate procs could mean the difference between getting that one prime part you've been hunting for, having survived with those procs for another 5 minutes or so, or having to do the entire hour-long mission over again because the drop rates are so low for that part.

You are telling us to get as far as possible in unending missions by increasing the rewards as we go, yet at the same time, making it a reasonable -- to a point -- challenge to get those rewards. Unless you try to outwit the game, which we of course can be expected to do.

You are quite literally trying to simultaneously implement something which punishes and rewards players for the exact same behavior -- with the only distinction between the two being just how well the players can combine tactics.

You're telling us not to trod on the hand that codes for us, then putting code into the game which rewards players for breaking the code.

Gmag making farming too easy?

Solution: Make it so that other players don't benefit from Greedy Pull's effect, so nobody else wants a 'dead weight' frame that isn't pulling the most weight it could in that squad.

Hydroid's Pilfering Swarm dropping too much loot?

Solution: Make it barely worthwhile so people stop getting so many of those rare resources that are suppose to be rare, dammit!

People wouldn't do this if you set things in certain ways such that, while they would be unable to scale beyond a fairly small set range, they would still be worthwhile enough for players to do them over and over.

For example:

The boss of a planet could easily be coded to have a guaranteed drop of 2-3 of the planet's rare* resource(s).

A Nightmare Boss node could get some other bonus besides just the mods and the 'sense of accomplishment' considering just how difficult some bosses are in nightmare mode. People would still farm them, and players trying to min/max their time will never go away if RNG remains the sole determinant of how frequently and in what quantity the almost universally-required resources seem to drop.

I've started to view RNG as the "One rand()", because it rarely seems to swing in favor of the players, yet so many things involving progression are essentially boiled down to luck and laws of statistics.

One rand() to rule them all, One rand() to find them,

One rand() to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

*And by 'rare resources', I do not mean Detonite Ampules, Fieldron Samples, and Mutagen samples. Because honestly, there's pretty much no reason to use those when Invasion/Crossfire missions can reward you -- for 3-5 battles -- with the equivalent of 20-30 of those samples, all at once, with no crafting time, no resource expenditure, and no credit spent on consumable bps.

I say this as someone who has to spend an inordinate amount of time trying to farm for neurodes and neural sensors especially -- because almost ALL standard warframes (and most helmets) use one of those two types of components somewhere in their crafting -- and they're also needed for forma, orokin reactors, and the vast majority of market weapons.

Some need a LOT.

The reasons people take opportunities like this to break the game most often boil down to these two bases :

1. It's fun to be able to (metaphorically) laugh in the face of the AI no matter what it throws at you. For the vast majority of players, the opportunity to do something like this on those rare occasions when they can is an opportunity not to be missed. It really is actually fun. You've been given the opportunity to strike a proverbial blow of retaliation in return for all those times when the AI simply wore you down through attrition. It's cathartic.

2. Most of the time they're trying to break the game, they're doing so because a particular aspect of it is so undesirable to endure that entire groups of people will gather together, agree on a single set format of play, regardless of whether or not they actually enjoy doing so, simply to get it over with already. I understand that to make the game viable, monetarily, you need some people to buy things to offset the cost of all the free players as well. But when you are incentivizing people to lessen the grind and open their wallets -- by simply having a lot of content which they consider 'boring', then, whether intentionally or not -- you've done something wrong in your design work.

If people are skipping your content -- any of your content -- just because it's truly boring them, then the chances are fairly good that they've already exhausted all the enjoyment they could squeeze out of that content before they realize it wasn't amusing anymore; and that means they experienced and re-experienced that content a helluva lot.

I get that not everything can be as engaging as the Natah quest -- which was excellently done, by the way, so thank you for that -- but when people are skipping stuff that you've spent time and money creating simply because they don't find sizeable portions of your game to be entertaining, that means you've done something fundamentally wrong with those portions. A game is by definition supposed to entertain, so I see the dichotomy you're stuck with here.

There will always be people who want to skip content with money.

There will always be people who will want the newest stuff immediately, to hell with the cost.

And there will always be people who want all the bells and whistles and SHINIES they can get because they like cosmetics.

But there will not always be people who were drawn to your game simply through word of mouth, decided to try it out, and only 5 months later, realize they have invested literally over 20% of their real life since starting that game, into the game, and who are not at all inclined to lessen the amount of time they play.

I realize that, statistically, I'm not even as loud as a gnat's toot in a hurricane.

But when 100,000; 200,000; 500,00 players all make their opinions known, that collective sound is loud. The tones and timbres may be different, the scales could be in different keys, in different tempos, and the length and placements of the notes and rests could very well make it sound less like a symphony, and more like a cacophony.

But the existence of the noise itself is undeniable.

When that noise starts to sound more and more like it's all the same sound, that's the point at which you should quickly take a step back and ask yourselves "Is this really a good idea? Is there absolutely no other good way?"

If the answer to both those questions is "Yes", then please, if so many of us still say "No", tell us why you see it as "Yes" instead. Not everyone will get it. Not everyone will agree. But those that understand will retain far more faith in you than if you gave no reasons at all. And they will more than likely explain it to those who do not understand it.

I respect DE as a studio, and I respect the people who work in it and for it.

But respect isn't just one-way. I respect those who respect me in return.

When the source of a river dries up, it affects life along the entire river in a cascade.

Small changes will snowball and escalate into one big mess that can't be easily fixed.

While I can understand the need to add new content to a game to retain the older players who have by and large completed everything else, and to attract new players through advertisements, new content should not come at the expense of what have sometimes appeared to be rather slapdash 'fixes' to some supposed problems, simply because they didn't fit quite within the balance idea framework you have planned -- while sometimes no attention whatsoever is given to things which people have -- for quite a while -- been begging for changes to.

Perhaps it would be better to note things which the community has done to make things more efficient for itself -- barring those which have obviously absurd levels of power, such as Covert Lethality, but which the community as a whole agrees on being useful or fun -- and adapt other parts of the game so that they mesh more smoothly with what the community itself has adapted to.

Water seeks its own level after all -- much like the community adapting to become efficient at using their time to maximize enjoyment -- and it's rather self-defeating to keep changing the shape of the container when you're trying to measure the meniscus accurately.

And I sincerely hope that you'll realize this before you actually release the patch, because once the proverbial $|-|17 hits the fan, it will become a lot harder to clean up.

This is deep, man. The Covert Lethality nerf was indeed appropriate, but the other nerfs, in addition to the previous debuffs, DE is pushing Warframe into another Blacklight Retribution. The resource drop rates are also ridiculous. Gallium? Orokin cells? Rare? Explain why I have over 600 of each, while I'm struggling with RNGesus with Alad V and his darn neural sensors.

This is deep, man. The Covert Lethality nerf was indeed appropriate, but the other nerfs, in addition to the previous debuffs, DE is pushing Warframe into another Blacklight Retribution. The resource drop rates are also ridiculous. Gallium? Orokin cells? Rare? Explain why I have over 600 of each, while I'm struggling with RNGesus with Alad V and his darn neural sensors.

Want an explication? Simple. You only played the kinds of missions on planets that drop Gallium and Orokin Cells (my bet is on Stephano and Draco) and never played Jupiter missions unless forced to, like right now. Actually, neural sensors drops are pretty good, being able to drop in 1-3 amounts. Do a couple of survivals on Jupiter and it's impossible not to stack up on neural sensors.