The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Grineer Nightwatch - Some Thoughts On Leadership And Purpose

Morec0

I was reading this thread ( https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/510264-what-planet-do-you-want-to-get-a-unique-tileset-next/ ) when good ol' Grizzly and I started to think about what kind of update Sedna could get. I kinda considered Malachor V (From Kotor 2) as potential visual inspiration, to which he added

Boring?! That was the most interesting planet in the game! I would absolutely love Sedna to be like that. They could even have an 'academy' for Kela's elite Grineer!

And while I was writing a response, something hit me.

Kela's update:

Kela.jpg

Now compare that coloration and even the patterning on the... I dunno, buttguard? - and the collar to the nightwatch color and pattern. It reminded me of:

1LXb8D8.jpg

I think we figured out who the Nightwatch Corps is led by and where they are set up at.

Which leads me to their potential purpose: what do they do? The obvious answer would be "act as a secret police for the Grineer" and that may be it, but another thought crossed my mind:

If Kela IS the leader of the Nightwatch Corps, then that may make Sedna their base of operations. Something like that would be a perfect spot from which to act and monitor the actions of potential threads to the Empire and plan against them - it's significantly out of the way to be a potential blackout site - but it's also the farthest-out planetoid in our solar system.

And that name, Nightwatch. Watching the dark of night? Yeah, weak possibility, but the idea still crossed my mind:

The Twin Queens are paranoid about the Tenno awakening, what if they're just as paranoid about the Sentients coming back? We know now that they were born during the Old War, raising during it, they likely would have seen what the Sentients could do, so it would make sense for them to set up a elite Corps SPECIFICALLY for the purpose of keeping an eye out for the Sentients coming back.

Edited by Morec0

I like this a lot, however, that sort of pattern also appears on the armor of Grineer Scorch troops and good old Clem from the Steel Meridian room on the relays, so it's not exactly conclusive proof that Kela is behind the Nightwatch. 

I like this a lot, however, that sort of pattern also appears on the armor of Grineer Scorch troops and good old Clem from the Steel Meridian room on the relays, so it's not exactly conclusive proof that Kela is behind the Nightwatch. 

I see what you're talking about, but it doesn't look like it's QUITE as much a match to me as the Nightwatch is to Kela. It IS a Grineer pattern, no doubt, but the two above just feel much closer... But maybe that's just because of the limited usage of it on Kela's part, it is still up in the air. But I am fairly certain this is - or at least was, I'm actually kinda convinced that anytime someone figures something out before it's released in this community DE hastily changes it for Shamamamlyama "twist!" - the intention DE's working with.

Wow. That's totally exactly where the Nightwatch gear came from. Nice catch. Can't wait for Kela's update...

If one her her abilities ISN'T grabbing our Warframes and throttling us with her bare hands before tossing us away or using us as a meat shield, I will be VERY disappointed.

Good catch. I had a feeling Nightwatch Corps wasn't something they just made up for the skins (well hopefully not anyway, it could just be a coincidence). I wonder how screwed our Alloy-armored hides are if they actually use the Nukor though...

Well, as a potential saving grace, the description does say "modeled after", so it's not necessarily a given they'll have these.

But I am fairly certain this is - or at least was, I'm actually kinda convinced that anytime someone figures something out before it's released in this community DE hastily changes it for Shamamamlyama "twist!" - the intention DE's working with.

When did you become convinced of this? Edited by S.T.M.P.D

When did you become convinced of this?

I think it had something to do with my theory about the Cephalon-looking cores in Sentients, or generally all the back-and-forth on what the Tenno are. But I'm also an incredibly paranoid man so that may just be it.

I'm leaning more towards the Nightwatch being concerned with internal threats rather than external ones.

I recall Steve mentioning a long time ago that Babylon 5 was a thing this game drew from or he was interested in, and there was a secret police organization called Nightwatch in that show.

So Grineer get yet another reskin of their mooks? And Corpus are still stuck with same old palette swap crewmen. Why am I not surprised...

Your theory sounds solid though. Getting hyped for Sedna.

Edited by oinkah

So Grineer get yet another reskin of their mooks? And Corpus are still stuck with same old palette swap crewmen. Why am I not surprised...

Your theory sounds solid though. Getting hyped for Sedna.

I'm with you here.

Best possible answer I could have for it is that the Grineer take on a very militaristic approach, different uniforms for different divisions of their armed forces (Marines vs. Air Force) while the Corpus take a more unified corporate "suit and tie" unified approach to the matter.

But really I'd LOVE to see a different take on them as they get more varied tilesets instead of just ice and space. Perhaps a molten Venus could give us something new?

As for Sedna itself, as you might have seen in that other link I'm hoping for it looking like this:

Malchorvfull.jpg

aAfKzaD.jpg

• 1 month later...

My sense of foresight is telling me to expect a glimpse (or the full rework) of the new Kela sooner than the others. Also, I am excited to take a look at the Grineer equivalent of the secret police. Could offer some insight into the inner workings of their empire.

Looks like a few of the enemies are using the Kerek Waith hopefully this means it's returning soon I need this weapon since PS4 chose Dara Vandle:( hopefully soon we get it!!

Thank goodness for that too, and these guys are just ever so slightly weaker, but will still wreck a Tenno in an instant.  The scaling on the normal Karak in a level 30-40 Grineer's hands would gib you faster than a Ballista could one shot you.  I'm dead serious.  If you have the simulcrum unlocked and have access to the Elite Frontier Lancer, good luck taking any length of fire from one starting at level 30.  Sadly, our spectre's do not scale the Karak as well as the Grineer do.

As for the Nightwatch themselves, Kela De Thaym's troop or the Twin Kweens personal troop.  Of course, since Kela was specifically designed for combat by the Twin Kweens themselves...

Edited by Littleman88

Ive got something to add.  On the Xbox, completing the Tactical alert gave us an achievement for defeating the Nightwatch.  There was a little text attached to it saying, "Deal with Ruk's regiment of Nightwatch Corps on Eris".

Im sure there's more than one way to interpret that, like saying Ruk was granted a regiment of Nightwatch by the commander of the Nightwatch, or he is the commander and so on.

There wasn't any mention of this so far so I decided to add it here.

Ive got something to add.  On the Xbox, completing the Tactical alert gave us an achievement for defeating the Nightwatch.  There was a little text attached to it saying, "Deal with Ruk's regiment of Nightwatch Corps on Eris".

Im sure there's more than one way to interpret that, like saying Ruk was granted a regiment of Nightwatch by the commander of the Nightwatch, or he is the commander and so on.

There wasn't any mention of this so far so I decided to add it here.

Interesting... I'm not sure how console achievements and the like work so I'll admit I'm a touch "hmmmm" about the whole thing, not to mention it just seems weird to try and bring Ruk back to me, especially with Kela going to be needing her introduction, establishment of threat, and underlings.

Morec0, dude, Sargas is the most badmutha in the whole game so far, closely followed by Tyl. I mean, like, Vor found his other half, Hek is hiding like a coward, Lech is Lech, he is cool, but nothing more... and the Corpus capitalistic pigs are all sore losers.

Sargas won the war and man, his speeches were just awesome to listen. If he will help to develop Kela's character, it will be really awesome. It's not that weird to bring him back. So far he is the only officially undefeated dude in the whole game.