The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Parkour 2.0,... How Is The General Consesus?

D3ST

Don't like the bullet jump.  It's slower than the old forward flip, and the vertical movement makes it less useful / harder to control.

Don't like the wall hopping.  It's slower than the old wall running, and I haven't found a situation where it improves mobility compared to the old system.

I miss the momentum under the old system.  Maybe that's what players found hard to control, but I loved it.  It gave a good sense of speed, and I felt like a rock star every time I pulled off a maneuver.  The new system just seems dull by comparison.

You can stop on a wall at any point. You can go up a wall at any point, you can very easily jump from wall to wall. It's better in almost every way.

Are you just trolling or are you seriously implying that coptering is akin to using 3rd party software to change the speed values of players in game?

Counter-Question are you deliberately trying to read others words wrong? Well i think we´re done here. Have a nice day.

Counter-Question are you deliberately trying to read others words wrong? Well i think we´re done here. Have a nice day.

There is nothing in your sentence or your counter-question that would prove you meant nothing but comparing coptering to 3rd party cheating software. I do agree we're done here though.

You can stop on a wall at any point. You can go up a wall at any point, you can very easily jump from wall to wall. It's better in almost every way.

Wall grabbing/hopping is sometimes really buggy. Specially on not so clean surfaces like the tilesets in uranus or machinery tilesets with lots of edges and stuff.^^

I would wish some more fine tuning here since that´s the only thing in my opinion that´s missing the finishing touch in p2.

It's not momentum based, It's ALWAYS the same speed even as Volt with Speed. It literally slows you down if you're going faster than your run speed("Speed" is faster than run speed). It only matches your run speed, never faster, so it's bad for speed. 

Can confirm. Bulletjumping as a Jet Stream Zephyr slows me down.

On the other hand though, it's actually (gasp!) useful for it to slow down and be consistent like it is. If I want a speed boost while maintaining faster run speed I can always do a rolling jump > doublejump > aimglide. That set of moves preserves momentum. When I need to make specific jumps to get up higher or navigate tricky terrain I appreciate that bulletjump resets my speed to allow for more control over those jumps.

So overall I've grown to like our slower but more precise bulletjump, when there are already other tools that allow me to move along a corridor faster.

Still key spamming... Lol. Only thing to change was how fast you move and how fluid it is. Other wise it's the same repeat keys for the most effective movement. Bullet jump -> Aim Glide -> Double Jump -> Aim glide, Land repeat. You can get mad speed depending how you start the double jump off though.

Edited by ToMuch

Limiting.

There is only one method of faster travel while there were 3 before.

But this is what they were going for. They wanted all people using one method so they could all be together.

So instead of giving us the option of who to party with they completely reworked the system and everything is essentially in the same place because now people there is actually a new coptering method that requires the same amount of button presses.

If you're worried about the maximum achievable speed then try this particular combination of movements starting on the ground;

Bullet Jump -> Air Slide -> Double Jump -> Air Roll

Doing those things in quick succession causes you to be propelled forward at a rather high velocity that, while slower than the highest speed coptering of old, is still more than snappy enough for anything relevant or needed.  This can be done on a very low to the ground Bullet Jump, so large areas are not needed to achieve high speed.  If you do have more upward room you may also transition from the Air Roll into an Aim Glide, and then Air Slide during that.  This allows you to almost literally fly across the open maps.

For me, well I practically couldn't be any happier with parkour 2.0 as it is now.  My only issue is with the zoomed in FoV when aim gliding, and even that isn't too bad as I've been using it more to get used to it.  All in all it's a straight upgrade over the old system in effectively every single way.

Some of us made coptering an Artform though. Half the members of my Storm Clan could outrun even the best Parkour 2.0 players, Not even a close contest. But for the people who just thought of it as a Gimmick, Yeah you are completely right. The only ones who really were better off before were those in the upper echelons of Coptering ability. Parkour 2.0 is definitely better for the vast majority, Not a question about it.

Which is why you do a series of shorter copters in rooms that have very tight turns, not just a blind big copter into a wall. Coptering "experts" seems to be coming out of the woodworks since its removal with claims that it was commonplace to hit walls and miss, which in actuality hitting walls and missing your mark are signs you're doing it wrong.

You'd only do a really far copter if you had a chasm to clear, not in a tight room filled with obstacles. If you tried to, you'd most likely get stuck or hit a wall. Given map knowledge, anybody could find a room and know exactly what it takes to clear the room and what distance copter to use. It gives a sense of actual skill in the game, because faster missions can be achieved by knowing all the tilesets and correct movement for each map.

Do I need a big jump? Can I clear this or should I just do a little jump? Will I overshoot this?

Questions like these need to be answered with each copter a player does, making map clearing almost puzzle-like. Constant faceplanting and falling into pits means like you suggested means you weren't doing it right.

Dude, They aren't going to get it. Your mistake is that you took coptering to the same place that I did, and the VAST majority of people just can't wrap themselves around it. Its like a NASCAR Driver arguing racing to an Indy Driver.

You are totally correct, but you may just need to give it a break. If too many people get riled up about this (as they always do) it will cause a thread lock and all this conversation will have been for nothing.

I like the new system. It's more fluid and better incorporates melee into the combat system better than its predecessor. Though I think we need to have significantly higher blocking values on the weapons we have OR reduce the amount of energy channel blocking takes, because the drain is ridiculous.

Personally the best thing about parkour 2.0 for me is how new player friendly it is, as coptering before really really encouraged rushing. And rushing missions as a new player is one definite way to miss out on important resources and mods that could drop if players were given the opportunity to fight the mobs that are presented.

Miss wall running.

Mostly cause it was easier to run on wall, hop to the one next to it and keep going.

"Wall jumping" sideways down a hall and trying to bounce from left wall to right wall is too clunky and slow

I am much happier with bullet jump though. Glad coptering is gone.

Though I do wish they'd give us just a slight direction boost in the direction for aerial attacks.

Nothing insane like with the Tipedo, but just a slight distance

Also door frames need to be smoothed down. Getting caught on them is infuriating when you're going all fast and then BOOM. Stuck. Back up, go through and keep moving.

I absolutely love it now that i'm... fairly used to it. A lot of control, a lot of freedom.

There is one thing I really want back (kinda): vaulting. Not the old, hard-coded animation, but a momentum based one. More like Mirror's Edge than, well, Parkour 1.0.

Parkour 2.0 was long overdue, obviously, because people got way too accustomed to using coptering. Coptering was a glitch, not meant to be a game mechanic. Now that they can't move Sonic fast by doing a twirl in the air, they complain. I think Parkour 2.0 is amazing! DE did an excellent job!

Parkour 1.0 - > Wall Dependent

Parkour 2.0 - > FREEDOM! XD

Walls as a option rather than a necessary aspect.

I love the fact that it's centered on mobility and flexibility. Especially wonderful with the maxed parkour mods, but not the alternatives keep the gap relatively small.

I feel like i'm pressing more buttons than I did before? Even pressing V to slide + space bar I feel like I still need to stretch to do a power jump. Which is inconvenient. Would give the system 7/10 as it is not very user friendly and it's slower than coptering, and it's sometimes very awkward controls.

To me it just feels right and natural, no idea how I was able to play before, can't even imagine going back. No I just catch myself doin way more ninja stuff like dash jumping to a double jump into a zip line running over some fools, the like bullet jumping off and landing on some ledge like a god damn boss!

Seriously, now that I'm used to it, I just couldn't fathom gong back.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/620722512151075864/88B31C6B69D9B5273AF79A1359E32E8F09539B57/

Well it's made this possible.

A lot of the old parkour challenge is gone now, I'm in a parkour clan where one of the challenges with parkour 1.0 was getting to this near impossible to get location and ring the bell. We need a new parkour racing room as well.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/631978477694622227/3F25DF495CFA899097F038BDF8C5A9A14800E18B/

Here's an example of a parkour 1.0 challenge, getting up to that island inside a dojo was superly difficult. Now it's cheesy easy.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/620722512149784635/15557763454B2C107BE31D4F54F7CE0615190DE3/

Also I will need to find that tree on that picture and try to climb it. The trees are hard to climb and required a lot of trial and error.

Edited by ivlr3vil

To me it just feels right and natural, no idea how I was able to play before, can't even imagine going back. No I just catch myself doin way more ninja stuff like dash jumping to a double jump into a zip line running over some fools, the like bullet jumping off and landing on some ledge like a god damn boss!

Seriously, now that I'm used to it, I just couldn't fathom gong back.

I do waaayyyy more controlled ninja moves with P 2.0. It feels less restricted. I can easily jump pass cover, and take pot shots at an enemy before i land. I can easily go over or under when moving through the environment. i dont have to stop- look for some smooth walls, look for a ledge i can back flip on, etc. I can just- DO IT.

Like i mentioned in my last post- it seems like people forgot you couldnt even wall run up a wall and jump onto a perpendicular ledge, you could only backflip. p2.0 is so much of an improvement.