The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I Honestly Thought This Was A Joke

Renathy

Excuuuuuse me, princess.

9X3UIR7.png

Now I know what was CasualBot's purpose. His name is totally irrelevant to anything that I had in mind. I apologize if I offended you by activating a key in my keyboard, which is also present in every keyboard ever made by man, that allows me to capitalize every single letter.

I didn't know this is what they wanted to do by supposedly throwing the trading chat away. Good on ya'!

Information I gathered on this topic:

● Mostly every user dislikes capitalized sentences (regardless of the message)

● It floods the chat (more than anything else, even spam itself)

● It is considered as spam (again, regardless of the message)

● Fully capitalized messages are obnoxious and garbage (see underlined word above) ✓

● The trading chat has been reworked to accommodate this specific issue (by banning any fully capitalized message) ✓

● It brings out people's inherent hate (albeit many other worse issues are present)

I can understand that capitalized messages flood the chat. I can't understand anything else.

Edited by JRMC

ALL CAPS IS CONSIDERED SPAM. now with that out of the way, yes kick bot is in the right. nobody wants to see all caps all the time

What you're telling me is that you're spamming, right now? Should I report you? - Jokes aside, that was, literally, the first trade request I posted in months. First sentence I posted too. Bam. Kicked right away.

What you're telling me is that you're spamming, right now? Should I report you? - Jokes aside, that was, literally, the first trade request I posted in months. First sentence I posted too. Bam. Kicked right away.

There is a certain ratio of caps allowed. If you absolutely NEED to have something in caps for some reason it is all right, just don't make a major part of your message have caps. I've done this so I know that whatever amount of caps you had compared to the rest of your message was unreasonable.

Edited by GravesTheOutlaw

There is a certain ratio of caps allowed. If you absolutely NEED to have something in caps for some reason it is all right, just don't make a major part of your message have caps. I've done this so I know that whatever amount of caps you had compared to the rest of your message was unreasonable.

That same sentence would also work, if you replaced that word with "stupidity".

Edit: About four words total. Sounds about right. Yeah.

Edited by JRMC

CasualBot is kickbot.  He changes names to various injokes regularly.

Kicking for caps-lock is a good idea.  Only reason to type in all caps was to make your message stand out over other people, who would just use Caps-lock themselves to prevent being drowned out.  This way, we don't end up with everybody in all caps for no good reason.

I don't understand. Someone explain to me why choosing to type in all caps is considered spam while typing the exact same message in all lowercase, in camelcase, or in standard capitalization isn't. Have people really gone so far as to redefine spam to include using a key that is on a keyboard?

Edit: 90% of the posts made on tradechat are copy-pasted. The only thing preventing them from being spam is the post-timer. So why does it matter if someone chooses to type in all caps?

CasualBot is kickbot.  He changes names to various injokes regularly.

Kicking for caps-lock is a good idea.  Only reason to type in all caps was to make your message stand out over other people, who would just use Caps-lock themselves to prevent being drowned out.  This way, we don't end up with everybody in all caps for no good reason.

What's wrong with typing in all caps? You're working under the assumption that all caps is agreed to be bad, but I can't see any logical reason to come to that conclusion.

Edit: If you're going to make a claim that all caps is harder to read, be prepared to provide cite the study that proves that to be true.

Edited by SquirmyBurrito

Isn't that how advertisements work? I just learned with their marketing strategies. Marketing 101. Development 101, however, heh...

I don't understand. Someone explain to me why choosing to type in all caps is considered spam while typing the exact same message in all lowercase, in camelcase, or in standard capitalization isn't. Have people really gone so far as to redefine spam to include using a key that is on a keyboard?

Edit: 90% of the posts made on tradechat are copy-pasted. The only thing preventing them from being spam is the post-timer. So why does it matter if someone chooses to type in all caps?

What's wrong with typing in all caps? You're working under the assumption that all caps is agreed to be bad, but I can't see any logical reason to come to that conclusion.

Because all caps is more visually flooding than regular typing

Edit: 90% of the posts made on tradechat are copy-pasted. The only thing preventing them from being spam is the post-timer.

it's really just unwanted. in these types of situations, spam = unwanted. it's also an eyesore if you have to read an entire paragraph of all caps.

I don't consider it spam as much as I do consider it someone being obnoxious. 

At a functional level, it is substantially harder to pick out key words from rapidly scrolling, all-caps text, than it is from normal, mixed case text. If you actually want your stuff to sell, capslock is bad.

At a social level, the rest of the internet decided a long time ago that capslock is the equivalent of shouting, because... well, it is. It's used to gain attention, and when that's all you get, it's really annoying.

Kicking the captains of capslock from trade chat was 100% the right way for DE to go.