Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Vicious Spread

RAZORLIGHT

Question

13 answers to this question

I always thought of the Torid as more of a strategic weapon than an in your face weapon.    Running right up and Tonkoring or Heking them in the face is one thing.   Laying a field of gas traps is another fine but very different tactic.

Edited by Don_T_Shoot

Because of the addition of Primed Point Blank, the damage added from VS is less (proportionally) than before.

Frankly, it's not good enough to warrant the slot if the accuracy reduction is at all a detriment to you. If you like the increased spread, it's still decent; it adds just a bit less damage than a Cleanse mod, but it adds less damage than a third elemental mod (although it's better than a 4th or 5th).

With PPB and Blaze, VS adds only 27.7% damage. Before PPB was introduced, it added 36% damage.

Edited by Darzk

what do you think, which Shotguns would be better/worse with it?

how about Sobek for example?

On Hek you can just stack all the dmg mods and still have room for punch through and 3 element mods. The best part is it hardly changes the spread and if anything makes it better with crowds. Beyond that Hek has a pretty quick reload and if you're going for one shot builds sacrificing another round or 2 isn't a big deal.

I always thought of the Torid as more of a strategic weapon than an in your face weapon.

Running right up and Tonkoring or Heking them in the face is one thing.  

Laying a field of gas traps is another fine but very different tactic.

I wasn't really 100% totally cereal you guys (BTW sorry for any thread derailment),

just saiyan, the impact damage of the actual projectile(s) is hardly inconsiderable,

and the death cloud capabilities at beyond-face-range are certainly more fun than damage falloff :P

Because of the addition of Primed Point Blank, the damage added from VS is less (proportionally) than before.

Frankly, it's not good enough to warrant the slot if the accuracy reduction is at all a detriment to you. If you like the increased spread, it's still decent; it adds just a bit less damage than a Cleanse mod, but it adds less damage than a third elemental mod (although it's better than a 4th or 5th).

With PPB and Blaze, VS adds only 27.7% damage. Before PPB was introduced, it added 36% damage.

Of course if the spread is making pellets miss that would lower the damage and the player would have to determine how close they like to use a shotgun and still maximize its effectivness.   But assuming you get in range to hit with enough pellets VS would win the damage numbers game.

I mean, your percentages are all relative to Primed Point Blank, correct?    Because in terms of raw total damage, VS is still better than a third elemental mod, better than a cleanse mod.   Not by much but still higher damage.

If that "not by much" isn't worth the increased spread to you, then by all means skip VS because it is true,  those other mods are very very close to giving as much damage without the increased spread.  But I just wanted to point out that it is still higher damage, as far as the totals go.

Edited by Don_T_Shoot

Phage is completely unaffected by it. Vicious Spread will increase the initial spread but the focusing time remains the same.

Hek and Tigris both utilize it well due to their small base spread. It's arguably unnecessary on the Tigris unless you want to one-shot level 100s, but the increased spread is actually handy for mowing down mobs when paired with punch through.

As others mentioned above, Primed Point Blank makes it less necessary due to diminishing returns from stacking base damage. It's generally better to spread between base damage, elemental damage, and faction damage rather than a single stat. This will give you bonuses that multiply rather than add.

My general rule of thumb for Vicious Spread is to put it on any weapon that won't force me to also throw in Tainted Shell to compensate (like Boar).

I mean, your percentages are all relative to Primed Point Blank, correct?    Because in terms of raw total damage, VS is still better than a third elemental mod, better than a cleanse mod.   Not by much but still higher damage.

If that "not by much" isn't worth the increased spread to you, then by all means skip VS because it is true,  those other mods are very very close to giving as much damage without the increased spread.  But I just wanted to point out that it is still higher damage, as far as the totals go.

Huh? VS is +27.7% damage with PPB and Blaze installed. Cleanse mods are +30%. A third element is +36%. It's not until you reach the 4th element that VS becomes more raw damage, which only adds +26.4% damage. (For the # of elements, I'm counting Blaze as one of them which may be the cause of confusion).

VS is still decent damage, but not better until you already have 3 elements installed and a Cleanse mod, if applicable. However sometimes you want the increased spread to hit multiple enemies in a crowd, rather than focusing all the damage on a single enemy, in which case VS is your only option for doing so and also provides a decent damage bump.