Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Survival Balancing

[DE]Whirrrrr

4 hours ago, (PS4)WINDMILEYNO said:

The infestation wouldn’t do this,

Have you played Infested Excavation? It doesn’t make sense; Phorid has been smoking something and not sharing.

where would the void enemies get these?

lololol just use their facemasks!

In all seriousness, if the Infested have them, the Orokin Towers should have something equivalent hanging around since all the stuff still works.

Thanks for reading and giving feedback :3

unless a survival is sort of a mix with a sabotage…

Hmmm. That’s an interesting thought. It'd have to be a different mode entirely, though…

Let’s say you can’t actually go to the Tower directly because of a “Voidstorm” or whatever. You show up on <tileset>, and pop your key into the portal. Once your squad is through, Lotus sends an infinite-supply LS capsule and an Operative who grappling-hooks to the roof and disappears.

After the Operative leaves, you use some unknown mechanic (probably defense/interception style, but IMO that'd be lame) to fight off Corrupted from reversing the portal polarity while receiving rewards every 5 minutes. When you decide you've had enough, you reverse the polarity yourself so you can extract. (This also happens if the Corrupted succeed)

Once the portal reverses, you must keep the Corrupted from escaping and alerting the enemies on the other side for another 5 minutes. You may send part of your squad to kill any who manage to get through, but that decreases your manpower on the other side by a lot and also creates the risk that your squadmate alerts the <faction>.
If your whole squad goes through the portal, you fail the mission. (I feel like it might be good to have a way to get back to the Tower for someone who leaves on accident, but can’t think of a good one atm)
The Lotus capsule becomes active and destructible during this time. You don’t fail if it blows up, but you get the HP/shield drain while in the Tower.

If the <faction> is alerted, you ALSO have to defend the portal from that side. They’ll be spawning about 50% heavy units and/or be at 1.5–2x the level of the Corrupted you're fighting to discourage/encourage alerting them.

At the end of the 5 minutes, your Operative arrives at the portal (level-scaled to the enemies and armed with a Paris Prime, Spira Prime, and Nikana Prime for extra salt). You leave, blow up the portal from <tileset>-side, and take him to extraction.

I am not very good at editing posts down and have no clue how to create hidden content....this will be long:/, I will try to make it better by just making a bunch of posts. I want to add some things and suggestions, though I agree with your points, and like your ideas! 

Infested Survival/ Excavation: for survival, life support shouldn't drop. It's a non issue. The infested do not have any systems to shut down, they release toxic spores, that must not be all that toxic, as the easiest way to survive is just to breath in slightly cleaner air that is still mixed in with the spores. Let's say for one second that because warframes share infested flesh, it's not actually toxic to us, but we still need life support to breath for some reason.... the lotus just says its toxic because she herself perceives it to be toxic (idk). The infested may have actually half concious beings under control of the hive mind or collectively in control of it unknowingly (is the hive mind like the corpus board?). These beings that can still function, or even retain most of their mind and body, like Alad V, would probably be the ones releasing the spores, so for instance there is a giant brood mother (or huge kraken monster) that begins releasing spores or something to get rid of intruders. This will be the life support room you have to take control over, as then kill the miniboss, the spores will cease until another boss appears. Life support simply cleanses your warframe for a bit. Failure can cause your frame to become feral for small amounts of time, failing too many times to take over the rooms= same penalty(like the fight with mutalist Alad V, when he takes control of you) where your team mates must defeat you, or you must try to regain control of your frame...or you could just drop down to 5 health like normal.

Infested Survival / Excavation: for excavation, the infestation can have a chance of infecting the excavator (possibly if it sits at zero energy for too long, where it becomes an enemy).

A special enemy mechanic can be added, where may be you pick up electric crawlers and shove them into the machine before it turns, so that you get the cryotic and it explodes.

57 minutes ago, (PS4)WINDMILEYNO said:

this will be long:/,

Newlines are wonderful things.

58 minutes ago, (PS4)WINDMILEYNO said:

(is the hive mind like the corpus board?).

No. The hive mind IS the Corpus board.

59 minutes ago, (PS4)WINDMILEYNO said:

the lotus just says its toxic because she herself perceives it to be toxic

Have you tried the Jordas Verdict? I feel like that would be a good base for the mechanic, and provide an actual use/way to farm the stuff outside of JV, which would be very nice.
The Lotus capsules could be a mechanic to give you free armor integrity over time in a ~30m radius. I'm liking this idea.

33 minutes ago, (PS4)WINDMILEYNO said:

for excavation, the infestation can have a chance of infecting the excavator (possibly if it sits at zero energy for too long, where it becomes an enemy).

lolwut

That sounds kinda silly, IMO. Just let it be relative EZ mode.

34 minutes ago, (PS4)WINDMILEYNO said:

A special enemy mechanic can be added, where may be you pick up atomic crawlers and shove them into the machine

….YES. DE, pls, I need this.

The mechanic would almost certainly just be you kill them and you can pick up the corpse, but it actually makes sense.

15 minutes ago, (PS4)WINDMILEYNO said:

Void survival can’t remain in the void? Why on a separate tile set?

5 hours ago, ChronoEclipse said:
10 hours ago, (PS4)WINDMILEYNO said:

unless a survival is sort of a mix with a sabotage…

Hmmm. That’s an interesting thought. It'd have to be a different mode entirely, though…

I like some of the ideas from the last page about making the life support system more complex, so that it requires some degree of thought and teamwork to maintain.

The way survival works now would make more sense as a 'Horde' mode - just fighting endless waves of stronger and stronger enemies for rewards. Maybe each 5th wave could have a boss style enemy? There needs to be something in between the bosses that exist now, but a bit more interesting than just a really tanky eximus.

7 hours ago, TheMostFrench said:

There needs to be something in between the bosses that exist now, but a bit more interesting than just a really tanky eximus.

I would argue that one Hyena Pack member, one of Sprag/Venk'ra Tel (or even one of the pre-rework bosses?), and the Juggernaut all make decent sense as minibosses.

Well, except for the fact that the Juggernaut is made of 100% Cheddar and is much harder than Phorid is. Phorid lost a fight with Effigy.

SImply put survival is survival  do away with ls  spawn massive hordes of enemy that scale and scale fast  simple as that dont need complex mechanics do this do that just survive is all survival needs to be  you people  want to add missions within missions  if you do that then it isnt survival anymore its    the only thing survival should be is survival and as you progress harder opponents appear then at a certain time a boss or mini boss appears make it true survival leave complex goals for other missions

On 4/19/2016 at 7:42 AM, magusat999 said:

or at least keep them consistent across all levels of play

Enemies have the same Chance to drop Life Support one minute into Survival, as 1000 minutes into Survival.
you have Confirmation Bias.

Been reading this topic and I noticed people taking about LS and PLS. Only one guy noticed that this whole Life Support thing is ridiculous.

Remember, what's our objective in survivals? Be a freaking distraction! 

If the enemy is going to pull that "life support" thing on us, it makes no sense for us to distract the enemy since everyone is going to die eventually after all the life support is gone. Sure the Tenno will be gone by then, but it also allows them to effectivelly protect most of their cargo since the Tenno operatives wouldn't be able to carry that much cargo while minding their own life support, what's the point in raiding the ship then? So all survivals end with the enemy winning, is that it?

People are also suggesting solutions for the camping problem, but think again, is camping really a problem? You're there to distract the enemy, it's makes no sense for you to make the enemy run all over the ship. I'd be in you best interest to keep the enemy's attention in only a small part of the ship, this would realistically allow for the operatives to do their job unhindered. Instead of getting rid of camping the mode should allow for players to spend enough time in a room, while slowly but surely ovewhelming them with numbers, making players find another room to keep the enemy distracted while also giving a brething room for players to recover, to fight another horde.

Rooms should be filled with obstacles for parkour or cover, that could be used strategically to defeat the enemies in other ways, other than just running and shooting, or keeping everyone stunlocked. Really now, the game should encourage us to use more variations of warframes instead of only presenting situations that can be easily solved by the usual cast. People rarely use parkour for anything other than pvp or quick runs.

Edited by DreadWarlock

13 hours ago, DreadWarlock said:

Only one guy noticed that this whole Life Support thing is ridiculous.

The problem is that, without some sort of equivalent to the LS mechanic, people will be able to stay literally as long as they want (without necessarily even fighting). Even with LS, someone solo'd a literal 5 hour run.

Tenno are too OP lol

Basically, the mode needs to force you to keep killing at a given rate in some way or there’s no way to force the Tenno out. Perhaps there should be a “win” condition where the ship is out of stuff to pillage, but allows you to pick your drop? That'd be cool, but I still think there should be an option to do endless for the crazy people who want to.

I think tower survival missions should have 30 minute or hourly milestones punctuated by a boss (Not a Bombard or Heavy Gunner eximus) a Real and really powerful augmented boss. Maybe corrupted versions of existing ones or bosses unique to tower survival missions. It will kill the monotony and will give more incentive for players to actually play survival missions.

I do not understand survival anymore for the life support part.  Due to the fact of the second dream quest.  it is made very apparent that the warframes are nothing more than metal put together with no one inside.  It is a puppet controled by the tenno, who sit in a chair and deliver their thoughts and actions into the warframe.  the guy's idea to make it to where you must activate this at certain time intervals to proceed with the mission sounds more reasonable.  Maybe it is a security system that is about to purge the tenno, ie venting thr reactor core, sudden explosion of windows in a sea lab, crushing the tenno,etc.

3 minutes ago, blazeshadow44 said:

Due to the fact of the second headache with pictures quest.  it is made very apparent that the warframes are nothing more than metal put together with no one inside.

Warframes still bleed. There’s something alive there.

The problem with survival right now is that a person can go in and never use the air support the Lotus drops. I’ve ended the mission with so many still not activated… I really should have counted but I didn’t. So my solution is instead of PLS’s having a set amount given to you ie: +4 seconds. Have them diminish over time. After a minute goes by instead of +4 seconds they lose a second and become +3 seconds…. and after another minute they go to +2 seconds. Once you use the air support from the Lotus then they would reset back to +4 seconds. This would make the player have to use the capsules… make them move around. Right now all you have to do is sit in a corner and kill the waves of enemies and never move.  

Look at it this way if the Gineer are running around with no air they have to use some of their PLS air right?

I would like to something else happen in survival missions, like some big boss monster brake the ship hull and enter, changing everything. Like some time ago when the mission objetive change sometimes. I don't think that altering the mission mechanics would improve it, I think is fine at the momment, but I would like to see some random event that bring some excitement into the game.

On 4/24/2016 at 3:06 AM, ChronoEclipse said:

The problem is that, without some sort of equivalent to the LS mechanic, people will be able to stay literally as long as they want (without necessarily even fighting). Even with LS, someone solo'd a literal 5 hour run.

Tenno are too OP lol

Basically, the mode needs to force you to keep killing at a given rate in some way or there’s no way to force the Tenno out. Perhaps there should be a “win” condition where the ship is out of stuff to pillage, but allows you to pick your drop? That'd be cool, but I still think there should be an option to do endless for the crazy people who want to.

This problem is easy to solve, as things currently stand, diffcult enemies only comes in waves. And only a few of them ever show up before 40min, it takes hours for the big enemies to show up in greater numbers. And that's what's making this all too easy. (And Hard at the same time, for those who want to farm rare stances from freaks like the Bombards and their sickeningly low drop rates, these guys are too freaking rare, either you make a contract with a Leprechaun or you'll never see that Crimson Dervish for the rest of your miserable life.)

The real problem with this game is that the enemies have become so difficult that forced players to become ridiculouly OP with their min/maxed builds for lvl 500 enemies. Now people start their account thinking on making those OP builds, they buy plat, gather the necessary mods, and so the game becomes easy, and threads like this show up.

Maybe this is the reason why am i so excited for damage 3.0, this and the fact that some more weapons may become endgame viable due to having an extra slot to use in their builds...

On 4/26/2016 at 5:42 PM, taiiat said:

Warframes are part mechanical, part biological. it's a living thing.

"Part Bionic and Organic, not a Cyborg, call him Psychotron."

Somehow, this one song fit's completely in Warframe's universe

Edited by DreadWarlock