Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hunting Memory Leaks

[DE]Glen

Ok that's interesting, and I'm taking a look -- but you're kind of having to wave your mouse around continuously to bleed 50mb -- that's gross for sure but I don't think that would that explain 2GB of bloat like we've seen -- that would be a LOT of mouse wiggling!

Glen, that one monster PC you have there, to have 400+ FPS...

on-topic: no ram leak on my side, just 400 to 510 MB used (in & out/ non- combat)

Monster PC? lol.... I idle in the liset at over 1600 fps... in mission if I release my FR cap of 120, I see FPS over 500 in mission under load... its not that 'monster'. Warframe is incredibly CPU intensive, not GPU. 

That said... I had an insane memory leak yesterday in mission... CTD & blew 196 corrupted files. Unfortunately, I wasn't recording at the time, but I have pretty good idea of what I was doing at the time. I'll attempt a repro, but no promises.

We would call that a bloat. When I reproduced the one time it was in the color picking page -- as soon as I left the page it flushed 30+MB away. 

I see, i suppose it could be of some use in some other way. I've uploaded it if you're interested in it. 

In ~2 minuets it goes from ~450MB to over 1GB... If i enter the colour picker and start selecting colours in there that helps it move along too. At ~800MB the game starts hitching slightly.

it's pretty unlikely i'd notice, as usual, as i always have a background cleaner running. and chances are it would clean up the loose ends a leak leaves behind.

so then, the only memory usage related oddity i've seen is that when leaving a Mission and returning to liset, the memory that was used to store the Misison i was just in, doesn't release.

it doesn't increase endlessly, but you still need to load from disk even if you do the same one (loading screen doesn't get any shorter), so it's probably for the best to just dump that every time. it does dump it sometimes, but other times it doesn't.

I'm curious because I haven't done any recording before, how much space is needed on average per hour of playtime? What software do you recommend? What resolution do you recommend recording at? Do you have any codec preference for diagnostics?

space per minute required greatly varies depending on how or what you record.

Open Broadcasting Software is popular (and what Glen uses), but there's many other good choices.

you want to preserve most of your Resolution ideally, to preserve detail(and readability), but you want to trim down resolution and quality so that it takes up less space, but you can still see everything clearly. as if you can't read anything in the video, it doesn't do much good! :p

IMO, a lossless Compressed Video Codec would be ideal, but would also take up much more local space than lossy compression set to not compress too harshly.

all in all, you'll need to guess and check a lot, recording, watching your recording, and finding a good balance for you based on how much space you can dedicate to recording, if you will be doing any editing (to clip Videos shorter usually), how large of file sizes your system can handle in Video Editors, your Uploading Bandwidth if/when you need to upload something, Et Cetera.

note that not bothering to record Audio will help file size some, and you don't really need it for these purposes anyways.

p.s - I should note i run with an FPS limiter... It's supposed to be 120fps, though it doesn't actually cap at that....

DirectX 11 will go to ~127.5 rather than 120.

it's odd, but in my experiences consistent across a lot of games, so it's not an outlier.

I see, i suppose it could be of some use in some other way. I've uploaded it if you're interested in it. 

We have a winner! MillbrookWest your reproduction works for me -- I see part of why it's happening and will be fixing ASAP.

NOTE: the hunt is not over! Just the hunt in the loadout screen is for now :)

Congratulations MillbrookWest, you won a thousand platinums. Message our Twitch page with your ingame alias, your PSN ID or your Xbox gamertag and we'll hook you up!

Edited by unknow99

got even blue screen of death sometimes due to warframe ram greedy

I get BSoD A LOT OF TIMES

Here is how to recreate it:

#1 change load outs and get ready to go on a T1 defence.

#2 (and this is key) start get everyone railed up (just kidding this isn't step too but we did chat alot)

#3 Click start on the mission and vwallah!

The host and key holder gets the BSoD with a bad pool caller error.

I hope you guys find this soon. because:

2e241cbbfa40b515d22f0718ddaab4f25631dfed

]\'[okuto Bunshi

Peace Out.

Before I begin, I'd like to mention that monitoring and recording software is simply a "no no" for me, for reasons I hope this post can clarify. It will be a bit lengthy, so please bear with my explanations.

My Toshiba Qosmio X505 is old, and has a bit of an odd problem that thus far nobody has been able to fix. I'm not here to find solutions for it, just to explain my situation.

When playing Warframe, my entire laptop crashes and force restarts when plugged into AC power. The trigger for these things, hilariously, is the little window in the bottom right corner that pops up when an Alert goes live. It's none of the billions of particle effects... it's that stupid 2D window that causes an issue.

That said, when playing directly off battery power, it has never crashed. As thus, I play Warframe in roughly 40-minute bursts off battery life only. While this is limiting, I've gone from MR10 to MR19 in those 40 minute bursts, so it's obviously not crippling my ability to play or progress. So yay Warframe.

Okay, that all said, I have kept an eye on my battery life like a hawk for the last year or so. I can tell when certain things are draining it a bit more than they should be, as evidenced by my battery suddenly missing about fifteen minutes (that's over 35% of its charge) from a single mission.

Primary culprits here seemed to be Defense and Survival missions. Now, natch when you have more players involved, it's going to tax the battery further. I've had it, at times, with certain frame/weapon combos, where I can muster about thirty minutes before the battery is just out-and-out. it IS an old battery and I have a new one coming soon, so maybe I can test this further.

I have a few staples of gameplay I adhere to. When I do Seiminei runs as Mesa, I can safely always get 5 runs in before I use my remaining battery power to re-color things, fuse mods, and talk to my alliance. Again, obviously, my battery life improves in the liset from not being taxed to hell and back.

The issue I've noticed here, however, comes from experimenting in T1Ds and T1Ss both solo and in full groups of 4. Perhaps this issue is related to enemy spawn-ins and will be changed up when spawn locations are adjusted in full. However, it very much seems to me that there is a very heavy leak in endless missions, and it's either related to drops or enemy spawns. It becomes vastly exacerbated when within a mission for at least 20 minutes, regardless of solo or full squad, and regardless of frames used.

If anyone else would like to attempt to pinpoint the issue(s), then hopefully this gives you another lead you can specifically monitor. I've only noticed them out of desperation to keep my battery functioning as long as possible and get as much farming as I can within a small time frame.

o3o

Does it count as a Memory leak if it clears at a later point?

If i enter a regalia sigil properties menu, adjust the alpha (even a tiny bit), the memory usage starts to climb, It clears to normal when i leave the regalia menu. Importantly (i think) this bug stays; If i go to second frame and enter a regalia sigil properties menu, the memory will again start to climb, despite not changing anything with the second frame. Update: Watching back my footage, I don't think it stays as i described. Update 2: Tested again, it stays. moving to a second frame and doing nothing save looking at it's sigil screen causes memory to rise.

Looking at any customization in the regalia menu after adjusting the 'Alpha' value seems to exacerbate the issue.

This is after a few minutes just idling [Note: Both are from separate boots of Warframe - Banshee on first boot, Excal second]:

vlcsnap-00019o6ojl.png

vlcsnap-00020j9rt6.png

I have videos of both attempts if you want them....(though i will have to do something about the files sizes before i upload them).

p.s - I should note i run with an FPS limiter... It's supposed to be 120fps, though it doesn't actually cap at that....

Where did you get the Mastery sigil??

-snip-

since UI is the presumable problem there, if you haven't updated Flash Player in a hell of a long time, i'd do so.

probably not actually the cause, but it's atleast somewhere related so it can't hurt.

Congratulations MillbrookWest, you won a thousand platinums bugs. Message our Twitch page with your ingame alias, your PSN ID or your Xbox gamertag and we'll hook you up!

fix'd

:p

Edited by taiiat

Just to double confirm, mine leaks at the exact spot as Millbrookwest's  -- It does clear / fix itself as soon as I exit the menu where I can edit the sigils positioning though.  I have a video as well.  I really wish I would've checked this thread before recording the video etc...  lol!  

Ninja'd by Millbrook!

Additional info:

Frame = Oberon and I was having it leak with more than just the mastery sigil  (any of them worked).  Front or back. I'd say it was leaking roughly 75-100 mb per minute give or take a few.

I do have a video if you would like me to post it here -- it's pretty much identical to Millbrooks though.  

I get BSoD A LOT OF TIMES

Here is how to recreate it:

#1 change load outs and get ready to go on a T1 defence.

#2 (and this is key) start get everyone railed up (just kidding this isn't step too but we did chat alot)

#3 Click start on the mission and vwallah!

The host and key holder gets the BSoD with a bad pool caller error.

I hope you guys find this soon. because:

]\'[okuto Bunshi

Peace Out.

This isn't a bloat or a leak -- this smells like you have a hardware problem. I couldn't deliberately blue-screen your PC even if I wanted to. I would suggest you run a memory test.

Before I begin, I'd like to mention that monitoring and recording software is simply a "no no" for me, for reasons I hope this post can clarify. It will be a bit lengthy, so please bear with my explanations.

My Toshiba Qosmio X505 is old, and has a bit of an odd problem that thus far nobody has been able to fix. I'm not here to find solutions for it, just to explain my situation.

Again, sounds like a hardware problem and off topic. sorry.

hmmm not sure if anyone mentioned this, but enterying and exiting the foundry rises usage by about 20mb,

and creates leaks if you contiune to do so,

it rises the memory usages, after every few ups, it would refuse to go back to the way it was...

this result in rising from under 500mb (about 480mb) on linest to 747mb >>;;

hope this helps :D

pics

normal

2kasSRC.jpg

boosting hard over 800!

feXAQdn.jpg

stabe 749mb

yJ1UZhX.jpg

Edited by NotWhoItSeems

hmmm not sure if anyone mentioned this, but enterying and exiting the foundry rises usage by about 20mb,

and creates leaks if you contiune to do so,

it rises the memory usages, after every few ups, it would refuse to go back to the way it was...

this result in rising from under 500mb (about 480mb) on linest to 747mb >>;;

This turned out to be the same root problem as the Sigil Alpha bloat; the fix for both is currently pending the next hotfix.

We're chasing down the stink in the color picker now -- it's less severe but definitely bad.

In ~2 minuets it goes from ~450MB to over 1GB... If i enter the colour picker and start selecting colours in there that helps it move along too. At ~800MB the game starts hitching slightly.

the bug is the sigil 

ur frame has already a Sigil = nothing ... BUT > change the Properties with the mouse, the game Read/Write the pic or a other file in the ram again and again [64K file] 

[if u click on Deflaut Properties also nothing] u must change with ur mouse

ur frame has not a Sigil = nothing ... BUT > add a sigil and the ram goes up 

maybe this clear the bug more ...

and sry for my english or what this is :) 

Aka: BierWurstGER (Dataminer)

Edited by DarmaKarma

The hotfix that just deployed fixed an nasty bloat that would manifest in a lot of different places (but most spectacularly in the sigil and color customization pages). It also includes several optimizations to the front end so I'm guessing that this will kill at least one of the three different types of bloats we were after.

However, I'm willing to bet that there's something still lurking out there so please be on the lookout for more!

The hotfix that just deployed fixed an nasty bloat that would manifest in a lot of different places (but most spectacularly in the sigil and color customization pages). It also includes several optimizations to the front end so I'm guessing that this will kill at least one of the three different types of bloats we were after.

However, I'm willing to bet that there's something still lurking out there so please be on the lookout for more!

Are there any other specific areas that one would keep an eye on? Perhaps one more common than others?

Thats a hard fish to catch.

Im on a G751JT-DH72-CA   Asus ROG.

Geforce GTX 970M

16 gigs ram.

That is something i have never actually encountered. A situation that causes a percievable gradual slowdown has never occured on my system. 200k kills on this machine and 800 on the one befor it have never seen this happen.

Sorry I can't be of more help with a example for your bug hunt :(.

I run with the following programs operating in the background

Hamatchi

Asus web storage

Steam

Origin

Content manager assistand for PS Vita.

Are there any other specific areas that one would keep an eye on? Perhaps one more common than others?

At this point I've got nothing -- on Monday I'll get some data from the weekend of play to identify new suspects but at this point I have no leads.

In reviewing the diagnostics I currently have it seems a lot of these crashes are from people turning off their page file; maybe it's time to make a warning page in the launcher telling people that if they turn off their page-file then it's not our fault if they crash.