Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

De, Seriously Get Rid Of Your Energy System..it's Dull

Pixues

Another thread about this, because gameplay is extremely flat.

It's spam everywhere you go. 

The main example of how bad this system is can be found in most of the Ultis/ubers.

Kill a group, collect the orbs. Find next group, repeat. 

The game already is lacking depth, the energy system which allows spam just adds to it.

It is dull, it's just dull. 

You seem to have created a third person dungeon crawler. It's a bit different, but it's not the re-invention of the wheel. Cooldowns are better, it demands the tinniest bit of using strategy. 

Gameplay is flat. Do something about it. You must be aware of it too.

Obligatory suggestion:

Cooldown system. Kills (or damage) by weapon and melee reduce cooldown. (i think it would create some synergy between gun/melee play and the use of abilities).

Now a cooldown system doesn't need explaining. The start of a cooldown should be depending on the specific ability. 

For some it starts as the ability is cast. For some it start when the ability and its effects have ended.

Change Flow into a flat Cooldown reduction for all abilities. ( percentage based)

Change Streamline into an increased reduction gain upon killing (or damaging) something. 

Cooldowns are better, that is why the majority of games use it. DE, please join them.......again 

You've clearly never played higher level defense, I'd love to see you pull that off against a dozen of 100+ level enemies with your MMO style cooldowns.

You've clearly never played higher level defense, I'd love to see you pull that off against a dozen of 100+ level enemies with your MMO style cooldowns.

Anything will stop working when enemies are sufficiently higher than your level. Even your guns. What about level 200 enemies ? level 2000 ? 20,000 ? Can your guns handle that ? At some point enemies will become so strong that they will wipe your group just by sneezing at you.

MMO style cooldowns are interesting if implemented right. But given so many things in this game are implemented differently, I doubt there exist any "right" way to implement anything MMO'ish into it.

Yes, because the most important thing in this game is doing defense missions against lvl 100+ enemies. Cooldowns would ruin this entire game! Because lvl 100+ enemies! 

You know, the i'm-so-pro posts and creating an actually useful argument don't go well together. It's either one or the other. 

Easy.

Remove energy orbs.

Make energy regenerate at a decent pace.

Killing enemies gives you +5 energy.

Ability kills don't give you energy.

AoE attacks give you less energy each kill (muh balance).

Melee kills give more energy.

Combat flow is uninterrupted and no more tacky energy balls.

Edited by Tangerine

Keep the orbs and...

No cooldown. However...

Go raw dog! This could be a way to add a new personalized difficulty. Play normally with orbs. Or turn them off and be forced to gain energy by defeating enemies. DE could introduce mods that increase the amount of energy received from killed enemies.

I personally really dislike cooldowns. I've seen plenty gamers set timers or use fancy keyboards to remind them of cooldown times and such.

But I would welcome a new difficulty setting addition like this.

If it wasn't for endless defense missions, I'd -honestly- opt for a "per use" system for abilities.

As in you get so many "uses" of each ability to cast.

I mean most people just run-and-gun anyway so having a use-based cast system probably wouldn't even be missed.

Streamline and Flow can be reconfigured to increase total casts of each ability (based on the initial energy cost).

Enemies could drop certain pick-ups on an uncommon to rare occasion that would restore cast numbers, depending on how much it restores, how rare it is. Or it could just be a "buy-only" option for credits in the store.

The main flaw in this proposal is basically endless defense missions, It would be rather difficult to get much past 30 at all if Frost can't cast bubble more than 2x per wave.

Easy.

Remove energy orbs.

Make energy regenerate at a decent pace.

Killing enemies gives you +5 energy.

Combat flow is uninterrupted and no more tacky energy balls.

Also, this is rather brilliant as it goes more for an "adrenaline" based system.

The conclusion I reached last time we debated cool down vs energy was that either is fine; the real problem is that :

- abilities share a common pool

I don't want to repeat the reasoning behind this conclusion, as it was extensive. I'd link to it... but I'm on my phone; have a search.

Edited by TehJumpingJawa

Just because you're able to spam the skills doesn't mean you MUST spam them continually. There's still three other weapons ready to use and like most other games there is one skill/weapon that is the most efficient but if you're stuck at spamming just this one attack and not want to enjoy the other content of the game that's your loss.
Even though you are able to spam the fourths I'm certain you won't be able to pull that off in the high-level missions with all those Heavy Infested and Heavy Grineers and most likely not in boss battles.

Echoing my thoughts on the subject.

Especially on the subject of attacking reducing the cooldown of some or all abilities.

You could even have regular melee attacks (The useless ones) reduce cooldowns by a lot, compared to charge attacks.

Energy really is a boring and promotes spam and valuing some abilities over others.  Like Embers fireball will never be worth wasting energy on compared to overheat.