Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Idea: Ivy - The Nature Based Warframe.

lNogardl

Ivy connects herself with nature and nature connects with Ivy. Summoning Nature into battle she can be a tide turner in any situation and provide good support to her team while delicately (but fierce-fully) using her powers. 

Skill #1 - Vine spear, 25 energy:

Ivy summons vines from her hands, shaping them into pointy spears of death and throws them forward, impaling enemies to the walls. Leveling this skill up will increase it's damage and the amount of spears thrown.

Skill # 2 - Flower sanctum, 50 energy:

Ivy summons a thick wall of flowers which are able to block bullets. Leveling this skill will increase it's duration and wall width.

Skill #3 - Entangle, 75 energy

Ivy summons several ivy from the ground, entangling enemies for a short period of time while squeezing them each second for damage. If an enemy dies from the squeezing, they will burst into bits. Leveling this skill will increase the entangling duration, it's damage and the amount of enemies that are caught by the ivy.

Skill #4 - Tree of Life, 100 energy

Ivy summons a big, pure, graceful tree that grants Hp and energy recovery to Tenno that stand near it, while damaging  the impure enemies that come close to it. When Ivy summons this tree it also has a chance of reviving players who have died and have no resurrects left. Leveling this skill will increase the rate of hp and energy recovered and the damage dealt to enemies that come close (But it's not mega damage since this skill heals both hp and energy.)

EDIT: Currently thinking for another skill for #2 and an improvement for #4

#2's current thoughts:

Fly Trap (see comments below, #18 from MonsieurBubbles)

Wooden bridge - Ivy summons what resembles those special branches that lurk in the air of the Dojo structures, connecting one point to another creating a supportive bridge on bigger maps which allow better shortcuts. Enemies that are on it's way take huge damage from the speed. (This was randomly thought up.)

Will be updating upon more suggestions or own thoughts. Discuss!

EDIT 2 :

Bringing this back to life, will suggest a water warframe type soon.

Name changing Ivy to Gaia probably, discuss!

Edited by Nogard18

Honestly I dont see a nature oriented ninja fitting the theme of futuristic space in a whole bunch of very non nature oriented bases/ships.

But hey, who knows right?

Edited by unmog

Honestly I dont see a nature oriented ninja fitting the theme of futuristic space in a whole bunch of very non nature oriented bases/ships.

But hey, who knows right?

I dunno...I mean, Rhino isn't exactly a ninja. Vauban is more of a Space Engineer than a Ninja....and what Ninja runs around swinging a giant hammer while carrying a flamethrower?

They do not need to be 'Space Ninjas' to fit into the game.

...Now onto thoughts on the warframe.

Description: try 'Forcibly' instead of 'Fierce-Fully'. :U

I like Vine Spear: impale people to walls with thorny spears. It's a simple basic ability, and one that would be fun to use.

Flower Sanctum: It feels like a worse Snow Globe: It blocks only in one direction and would likely last about as long as Snow Globe. I'd suggest looking at it more, possibly replacing it.

Entangle: I also like this one, but I'll compare it to Snow Globe as well: Both affect an area around the caster (though Entangle will only be able to be used whilst grounded, for obvious reasons.) and slow down all enemies entering it...BUT Entangle also damages and has a limited amount of who gets hurt while in it. Exact numbers can come later, but this is my favorite ability of them.

Tree of Life (Or as I call it in my head 'Giving Tree' or 'Yggdrasil (AKA World Tree)': This one needs some tweaks, as someone mentioned. I'd replace the 'revive dead players' with a 'instantly revive downed players upon cast'. Exactly how much energy it could recover is also something that would need to be tweaked later on, but those are the two things that would need to be looked into. ( I could see groups using this in tandem with Snow Globe for a powerful defense for missions of the same name.)

Also I'm curious, how do you think Ivy would look, design wise? Viney wrappings along the arms and legs is something I can envision, with flowers on the shoulders and one on either one of the wrists (think corsage/boutonniere)...Also a helmet similar in shape to a bee (and a stinger somewhere near the tail bone), because Pollination or something. Yay animal motiffs!

So you are on a corpus ship in the middle of space, and with just wave of a hand you make plants grow through metal floor.

Exactly what I meant

How does ember make flames from metal ships?

Eh, fire is more believable than plants. Super accelerated air, and even metal burns. *shrugs* Same way Frost can freeze moisture in the air I suppose. I think plants coming out of the floor would be hard to accept unless it was like... infested... hmm...

Could always be a good idea for like "infested" plants. Kill two birds with one stone that way, people been wanted an infested oriented frame for awhile.

I dunno...I mean, Rhino isn't exactly a ninja. Vauban is more of a Space Engineer than a Ninja....and what Ninja runs around swinging a giant hammer while carrying a flamethrower?

They do not need to be 'Space Ninjas' to fit into the game.

...Now onto thoughts on the warframe.

Description: try 'Forcibly' instead of 'Fierce-Fully'. :U

I like Vine Spear: impale people to walls with thorny spears. It's a simple basic ability, and one that would be fun to use.

Flower Sanctum: It feels like a worse Snow Globe: It blocks only in one direction and would likely last about as long as Snow Globe. I'd suggest looking at it more, possibly replacing it.

Entangle: I also like this one, but I'll compare it to Snow Globe as well: Both affect an area around the caster (though Entangle will only be able to be used whilst grounded, for obvious reasons.) and slow down all enemies entering it...BUT Entangle also damages and has a limited amount of who gets hurt while in it. Exact numbers can come later, but this is my favorite ability of them.

Tree of Life (Or as I call it in my head 'Giving Tree' or 'Yggdrasil (AKA World Tree)': This one needs some tweaks, as someone mentioned. I'd replace the 'revive dead players' with a 'instantly revive downed players upon cast'. Exactly how much energy it could recover is also something that would need to be tweaked later on, but those are the two things that would need to be looked into. ( I could see groups using this in tandem with Snow Globe for a powerful defense for missions of the same name.)

Also I'm curious, how do you think Ivy would look, design wise? Viney wrappings along the arms and legs is something I can envision, with flowers on the shoulders and one on either one of the wrists (think corsage/boutonniere)...Also a helmet similar in shape to a bee (and a stinger somewhere near the tail bone), because Pollination or something. Yay animal motiffs!

Thank you for your feedback, that is what i was hopping to see! Yes i am currently looking at flower sanctum a bit more since it was the only skill slot i had left to put and nothing occurred to me, i'll update this thread once i can have a better deep thought into it, it was just an idea that popped out of nowhere.

As for Plants not being so "realistic", you have insane abilities in the game so i don't think plants would be so off-set! 

I like the idea of this warframe so far. for flower sanctum I would get rid of it and replace it with a buffed version of the vine spear and replace vine spear with an ability that is similar to entangle but works in a line or only on 1 target and leveling this would again be simlar to entangle and increase duration and damage.

Thank you for your feedback, that is what i was hopping to see! Yes i am currently looking at flower sanctum a bit more since it was the only skill slot i had left to put and nothing occurred to me, i'll update this thread once i can have a better deep thought into it, it was just an idea that popped out of nowhere.

As for Plants not being so "realistic", you have insane abilities in the game so i don't think plants would be so off-set! 

I know the feeling, I've been working on a concept myself and I have a 'tacked on' third skill right alongside three great ones. If I come up with anything for Ivy I'll gladly put it up! Just think a bit more on things; rapidly throw a bunch of plant names or plant based words/terms/phrases onto a piece of paper and see what could be used:

Fly Trap, Synthesis, Vine Swing, Petal Dance, Growth, Chloro Blast (Chloroplast), Blossom, Seed Storm, Oak Shield, Glucose (sugar), ETC.

What abilities could you design based on such words/terms/phrases? What other words can you come up with that could be made into an ability?

I know the feeling, I've been working on a concept myself and I have a 'tacked on' third skill right alongside three great ones. If I come up with anything for Ivy I'll gladly put it up! Just think a bit more on things; rapidly throw a bunch of plant names or plant based words/terms/phrases onto a piece of paper and see what could be used:

Fly Trap, Synthesis, Vine Swing, Petal Dance, Growth, Chloro Blast (Chloroplast), Blossom, Seed Storm, Oak Shield, Glucose (sugar), ETC.

What abilities could you design based on such words/terms/phrases? What other words can you come up with that could be made into an ability?

Hm... that fly trap one actually gave me an idea! How about Ivy summoning a plant resembling an actual Venus fly trap plant that releases a sweet, seductive scent which attracts some enemies, and on contact eats them alive?

I haven't read everything yet but based off the name, I like this idea, but I think if there was a "earth" type of map, then it would be perfect.  i was always imaging there be one special map on each and every planet where its tile design, matches the planet it is on.  Also, make it a female warframe with a look that is like this:

%D1%8F%D0%B4%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%B8%D1%82%D1%

Ok i read the rest of it.  Hmmm, well, I like the idea of a nature and plant frame but the abilities you listed, are split between unique and "already made".   Like the ivy spear sound like a nice simple ability since many warframes have a nice attack that is small and direct.  Your flower shield thing is kinda a stretch since we have Volt's shield and Frost has a "bubble" shield.   Now, as for your last two abilities, those I like but I can see a few changes for the third one.  For this entangle, I think the idea of having them take damage and all, is nice but already done, however, if you were to have it so that these vines do something unique like slow down all ground-based enemies and then have them take minor amounts of damage (could be that these vines have thorns on them and thus do bleed damage), then it would make it a more unique and practical ability.  And for your Ultimate ability, I like the idea of having a source where players can go to for either health, shield, etc.   As for reviving the dead, what if they aren't near it?   I think someone suggested that you could have it that if a player is down and near the tree, then they can be revived faster and if, say, they are near it but not being revived, then they have a longer "bleed out" time.

Overall, I like this idea and the name is simple.  I wouldn't mind the nae Gaia since it has a "earth" name and story behind it, but Ivy is simple enough.

Edited by Law_Abiding_Engineer

Exactly what I meant

Eh, fire is more believable than plants. Super accelerated air, and even metal burns. *shrugs* Same way Frost can freeze moisture in the air I suppose. I think plants coming out of the floor would be hard to accept unless it was like... infested... hmm...

Could always be a good idea for like "infested" plants. Kill two birds with one stone that way, people been wanted an infested oriented frame for awhile.

I'm sure an explanation could be that this Tenno has the capability of altering the chemical structures/compounds of its environment to support life such as plants.  Otherwise, how would such things like Miasma from our lady of poisons work on the Corpos robots, nothing organic about them so how do those skills work? ;)

Where do the javelins for Excalibur's ultimate come from? While some powers the OP posted need to probably be reworked, to say the theme doesn't work is untrue. Who is to say the frame doesn't carry tiny seeds that with a burst of energy don't rapidly grow into a small spearlike shape? Maybe instead of a tree, an earthly energy orb is created that pulses heals.

saryn is already the earth based warframe =/

Saryn isn't earth based. It's poison based. Similar, but not exactly the same.

Hm... that fly trap one actually gave me an idea! How about Ivy summoning a plant resembling an actual Venus fly trap plant that releases a sweet, seductive scent which attracts some enemies, and on contact eats them alive?

Fly Trap:

Ability Slot: 2

Slot Cost: x/x+1/x+2/x+3

Energy Cost: 50 or 75 (depending on if its a support-damage ability or a support-heal ability)

Damage: x/x/1.5x/3.3x (that seems to be the usual damage scale per rank)

Targets Bitten: 1/2/3/4 OR One/One/Two/Three outright consumed (barring big boss types like ancients) for health recovery.

Attraction Area: x/x/1.5x/3.3x

Grow a carnivorous plant to attract and consume organic foes.

Moa and other constructs (rollers, ospreysm ETC) would have to be immune to the alluring effect of course, though organic enemies (AKA Infested and a lot of grineer) would be drawn towards the plant, who would bite a certain amount of them before disappearing....Or it could just eat one or upgraded up to two enemies outright, and possibly restore Ivy's health in the process. (Probably something around 50-100 hp).

Perhaps the plant can be destroyed as well or not, that depends, but it would have to last for some sort of duration before leaving or after it consumes the total amount it can in one cast. (can't layer cast like you can with snow globe or other similar moves)

This gives her another support move (It draws aggro away from others/defense targets) but, depending on preference of the warframe concept creator, gives her a self recovery ability or an extra attack move.

Edited by MonsieurBubbles

Ivy connects herself with nature and nature connects with Ivy. Summoning Nature into battle she can be a tide turner in any situation and provide good support to her team while delicately (but fierce-fully) using her powers. 

Ivy summons vines from her hands, shaping them into pointy spears of death and throws them forward, impaling enemies to the walls. Leveling this skill up will increase it's damage and the amount of spears thrown.

Ivy summons a thick wall of flowers which are able to block bullets. Leveling this skill will increase it's duration and wall width.

Ivy summons several ivy from the ground, entangling enemies for a short period of time while squeezing them each second for damage. If an enemy dies from the squeezing, they will burst into bits. Leveling this skill will increase the entangling duration, it's damage and the amount of enemies that are caught by the ivy.

Ivy summons a big, pure, graceful tree that grants Hp and energy recovery to Tenno that stand near it, while damaging  the impure enemies that come close to it. When Ivy summons this tree it also has a chance of reviving players who have died and have no resurrects left. Leveling this skill will increase the rate of hp and energy recovered and the damage dealt to enemies that come close (But it's not mega damage since this skill heals both hp and energy.)

wow i can tell you really thought about this and it sounds great hope the producers read this!! :D

Okay I mentioned earlier i like the idea but the powers need to be reworked a bit. This is what I would do to tweak them and make them more in theme of the game.

1. I think this power is okay with the idea of a spear that impales. Perhaps make it like a Paris or Dread shot, but without the shot arcing. It would give this frame a 'silent' power with potential to hit more than one enemy.

2. I think I would go with a thorn based defense power. Something similar to Ember's Overheat. Where it would increase armor, and do damage to anything that hit the frame in melee. It's a little more believable to the game a frame modifies it's skin a little rather than making a wall grow. Plus right now there is no 'damage reflect' type power in the game.

3. I like the idea of an entangling power. Again I'm trying to think of a way that doesn't involve summoning plants, but is nature themed. Maybe an acidic sap spray instead. The frame can spray a cone of it that slows enemies and does some damage. The slow effect could be similar to the frost floor tiles in the void towers, and damage could be similar to standing in fire.

4. As I mentioned above, I like the idea of a localized heal, but summoning a big tree doesn't fit the warframe theme. I would make it a pulsing energy sphere you can drop where you are aiming. Perhaps the sphere lasts several seconds (based on rank and continuity), and pulses for life to players and damage to enemies (based on rank and focus). The pulse range could be static, or something that increases with rank and stretch.

I just don't think "plants" really works as a theme.

While you are entitled to your opinion, others may disagree. Just stating what you have in the post i quoted is like saying you don't like a certain food, or genre of movie. While you don't like it, others may and that is all that is needed to generate some market demand for a nature based warframe. If a frame with this theme is done right, I am guessing it would generate a lot of sales for DE (as would other frame themes).

While you are entitled to your opinion, others may disagree. Just stating what you have in the post i quoted is like saying you don't like a certain food, or genre of movie. While you don't like it, others may and that is all that is needed to generate some market demand for a nature based warframe. If a frame with this theme is done right, I am guessing it would generate a lot of sales for DE (as would other frame themes).

Perhaps I should have been more clear. Although "plants" as a theme is ok, I don't feel it necessarily fits the aesthetic or setting of Warframe. It's fairly anachronistic given Warframe takes place in a highly mechanical and synthetic space setting. Perhaps if an artist could draw a proof of concept, I'd be swayed, but for now my opinion is firmly rooted. I also disagree that a single warframe would generate significant sales, or at least as many as you imply.