Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Revisiting Saryn - Venom

BadlandsHyena

Let me get this out of the way first - I'm not vying for a buff or a nerf, I'm not vying that they make her skill -stronger- or -weaker-. This post is purely an OPINION. It's DE's decision to do whatever they want, but here's what they call feedback.

Overall, I love Venom, I love the way it works, I love how versatile it can be in the right hands.

The -problem- here however is that it's too random. Venom as it is (ever since the days of old) has a problem of:

1) Being embedded in the enemy

2) Not exploding even when clearly shot at.

3) Not exploding thanks to an explosive arrow.

4) Not exploding when it gets hit by a bolt weapon.

5) Not exploding when interacting with skills by other frames (not a big deal).

Personally, I'm more in favor of a rework of the skill in general - maybe something like "Infects target with (x) if target dies while under the effects of "Venom" target will explode, infecting enemies in an area around the target. This effect will not trigger a second time."

Granted, it may not be the best of ideas, and that's more of a personal taste, so I'm not expecting anyone to agree with it.

HOWEVER,

In the light of things, the reality is that Saryn still desperately needs a fix / tweak of her Venom skill. (Lets not talk about the others just yet.) 

Either make the pods bigger, make it's hitbox larger OR have it spawn in a place that we can have a clear shot at (like the head). Right now, it's so random that you'd have to have multiple casts on a single target for a -chance- at Venom spawning at a place you'd be able to pop. Also, for the love of Lotus, make explosions work on the pods. It's an EXPLOSION.

Either way, thanks for reading this post, hopefully someone sees it and knows that Saryn still needs a tweak to get her in up to her proper potential.

Cheers!

Actually I wonder if they're bugs now. Still, this should be here first. *shrugs* it's a frame feedback anyway.

We'll discuss which belongs where later (or I'll make a separate thread later).

i would just take the 2-5 on the list and post the bug thread and go from there, couldn't hurt

Anyone have any experience with puncture mods and Saryn? Are they worth it to help hit those hard to get spores? Or are the hit boxes totally messed up to the point that puncture doesn't help at all?

Totally agree with having them spawn only on the head or shoulders. Also, I think that spore explosions should stagger the host to help indicate that they indeed exploded.

Edited by Vorpalstryke

Venom doesn't work with any lag at all. It did get a recent damage buff tho

That being said, I think that DE is missing an opportunity for some nice synergy for Saryns tool kit. Venom and Contagion should work together, not be opposites. 

One idea I had was you spread venom if the venomed target is killed with contagion. This could develop some horrible MMO like rotation for all saryns, but it would be more interesting than what it is now. 

Im coming in here stating solidly, that I love venom. I love its concept, I love its damage potential, I love its visuals. I really don't want the ability to CHANGE per se. It has been my signature move with Saryn that I've grown attached to.

I simply want DE to FIX the issues that Venom constantly has with hitbox, spread registry, and attachment. The inconsistency due to latency or whatnot makes the power seem weak in comparison to others, and if DE can fix this, then Saryn becomes a viable and loved Warframe to work with.

Yeah when it comes down to it, it's not really about overhauling the skill, a few more tweaks and fixes will fix a ton of problems with her right now.

Hopefully the devs will see this (or someone will go around the office beating people on the head with a foam scindo) and finally fix her.

tbh, after playing some more after making that post, idk if it is fixable.

The ability spawns tiny spheres inside an enemy, that you have to shoot to explode in a to small of a radius to infect more enemies. We all know how venom works, but when you say it out loud, how are they going to make all of that work in high latency. I like the way the skill works, but I don't see venoms current design working with average online play ever.

Hence they should either 

A) Change the skill entirely

or

B) Just make the damn thing explode when the mob dies.

Option B is the -easiest- thing to do, They're the developers, they created this ability, far be it from them to be unable to code something like "Explodes on death" into it.

Hopefully if enough people jump up and down about this, we'll get noticed. Or else this skill (and a lot of other things) will just be in the backlog of "things that needs to be done" because "There are more major things to work on".

Been playing Saryn since before the reset.. and even AFTER the reset. Love her skillset. Hate how her 1st skill is borderline RNG.

Venom doesn't work with any lag at all. It did get a recent damage buff tho

That being said, I think that DE is missing an opportunity for some nice synergy for Saryns tool kit. Venom and Contagion should work together, not be opposites. 

One idea I had was you spread venom if the venomed target is killed with contagion. This could develop some horrible MMO like rotation for all saryns, but it would be more interesting than what it is now.

I've found that Moult + Venom equates to setting up a fairly effective trap, but yeah, hitboxes need fixing big time, and I do like the idea of using contagion to spread venom, but I really am unsure of how effective it would be to implement it.

Agreed, I generally don't bother with Venom because I can rarely get it to explode, having it explode upon target death would be a good solution. 

I found that it somewhat depends on what weapon you use (and not in a good way). If I try to aim for the pods with slow but powerful weapons, like the Latron or the Lex, then there is no way that I can deliberately make the venom pods explode. However if I use spray-n-pray weapons, like the Gorgon or the Grakata then it's somewhat managable. It's pretty infuriating that when you make a deliberate and concise attempt at popping them it doesn't work at all.