Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Modules Drive Developers Into Corner

Sophet

Hey there, just wanted to share some thoughts about current mod system and it's flaws.

1) Well it's really limited by slots, sure you'll add more mods later, specific ones for every weapon, but still 6 slots will be locked right from the start, at least I wouldn't trade any damage mod, and espesially multishot for any utility, so yeah, two slots left, while reload speed and rate of fire are still very tasty. Like say U8 mods that add resistance, my first thought was "not gonna bother, don't care". It would be nice to somehow separate them, like slots for damage mods, utility ones, guns mechanics slots (reload-fire rate) at least.

2) Speaking of elemental damage - you actualy ruin the purpose to buy new weapons. Oh my god, you added flamethrower... wait a second, why do I need it, every mob I shoot is burning anyway. Instead you could add more interesting weapons, not just energy latron, energy gorgon and so on, which I guess differ from original just by projectile speed. And maybe anymation... oh wait, anymation is the same - whatever elemental mods you have installed. You could add some gun, that creates arc of lightning, kinda like electrical shotgun, that zapps mobs in front of you, but there's no point now - everything is sparkling anyway. Yay, I can research electrical rod... yeah, what's the point, I already have this animation and FX. Syrin's ulti has glorious animation of melting enemies, but now you can't add a chemical weapon with the same style. Why? Because it will freeze people or set them on fire. So yeah, whole difference of weapons is digits on wiki and sound assets. Actually instead of energy Gorgon, why didn't you add some gun like the deathcube's vaporize? Would be fun to have some other close-combat one-shotting weapon besides a shotgun. Say League of Legends - you tune your character with runes, but unique champion remains unique. Same with WoW, you get equipment just like mods, but your class-spec still has it's own animation and style.

So yeah, in the long run you'll just run out of room for new stuff. Well i guess you still have energy Paris-Lato-Hek and whole other set to go. And then another set, with purple bullets, that jump. And then another one withgreen bullets, that speed up. And then something else, but still nothing unique. I personnaly not even gonna bother making those energy ones. Or flamethrower - already have enough FX on my screen to shoot blindly and pray. Well rocket launcher sounds original. And that biological needle thing - would it be one more bolto just like kunai? I really think you should just forget about that elemental crap and make a variety of weapons instead of it, so players could farm-pay a little longer for it

P.S. sorry for ads, but really want some attention to my previous threads 

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/51242-daily-system/

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/52158-resourses/

Edited by Sophet

sorry but i have a mushy brain atm and didnt read the whole thing but i agree that the system sucks (i think thats what this is about) and elemental mods should be done with to make room for more interesting weapons.

I think they should have the skill tree system because with the mods as soon as you raise a gun to a certain level you can make it epic(ish) when if you have skill trees then each weapon would be different. Warframes may be different i haven't decided on if they would be better or worse with skill trees.

EDIT:

plus that would take some of the grinding away and make defense missions more for fun than farming.

Edited by Jumba255

I don't think that skill tree system will be any good, what we need is some way to finetune weapons to our likings. But there's a problem with gameplay as a whole - there's horde of dummies, just grind them. If say heavy grineers would be really tough, really damaging and dangerous and with a loads of shields, like bosses - you actually could choose a special ammunition mod (and you have just one slot) - to stun them, or to stop their shield regen, or have more damage but travel slower, so it's hard to hit ospreys, or puncturing bullets, which don't pierce heavy grineer armor, or maybe low chance of knock down, or more crit (and some enemies, say ancients, would have crit immune, not to say, that crit ratings differ from one weapon to another. Now that's the way to coop game. Let's look at the best - WoW doesn't have hordes of mobs in dungeons, even raids, usually there're pack of 4-5 enemies, each of whom requires some tactic. But with this Diablo-Serious Sam type of gameplay you just pack your damage and destroy. With my Hek i actually don't care what mob I'm shooting, some of them just require more than one shot.

I don't think that skill tree system will be any good, what we need is some way to finetune weapons to our likings. But there's a problem with gameplay as a whole - there's horde of dummies, just grind them. If say heavy grineers would be really tough, really damaging and dangerous and with a loads of shields, like bosses - you actually could choose a special ammunition mod (and you have just one slot) - to stun them, or to stop their shield regen, or have more damage but travel slower, so it's hard to hit ospreys, or puncturing bullets, which don't pierce heavy grineer armor, or maybe low chance of knock down, or more crit (and some enemies, say ancients, would have crit immune, not to say, that crit ratings differ from one weapon to another. Now that's the way to coop game. Let's look at the best - WoW doesn't have hordes of mobs in dungeons, even raids, usually there're pack of 4-5 enemies, each of whom requires some tactic. But with this Diablo-Serious Sam type of gameplay you just pack your damage and destroy. With my Hek i actually don't care what mob I'm shooting, some of them just require more than one shot.

Sorry but in WoW there are hundreds of mobs in groups at high level dungeons, and i like skill trees because it makes everything different from someone else by not allowing the entire tree to be unlocked

with mods there is just a set of mods that make a gun better than the rest and every gun can have the same upgrades.

Edited by Jumba255

I don't say that there should be tons of mobs, just they shoul be differend. You will spend 2-3 clips on a heavy grineer, if you don't have a man with shield destroying bullet (or weapon, if we are talking about weapon variety). And you'll have to hide and regen your shields if you don't have a man with stun, so it would be beneficial to have a balanced group. Same with infested - puncture rounds destroy runners, but don't have enough punch to tear an ancient - that's the point, where a differently modded sidearm would be useful. The problem with skill trees is that they stop eventually and you stop progressing, losing interest in the game. LoL has a skill tree, but there are runes to back it up, same with WoW talents, which are then tuned with equipment, so player has his cookie-cutter build, that sits there passively, and have an active way of polishing character, which is consistent fun