Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Playing In Directx 9? Is It Possible?

shut

Question

Title.

I recently began playing Warframe for a grand total of about fifteen minutes, but everything except the tutorial is pretty much unplayable at a maximum of 10 FPS on lowest settings, even with overclocking.

So, yeah. Is there any way I can turn down the graphics even lower in order to make the game more playable?

Some info about my system, by the way:

ASUS A53SV Laptop

8 GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M

Core i7-2630QM

750GB Memory

(Obviously not a gaming rig, of course. XD)

22 answers to this question

In the launcher there's a settings icon, which opens up a menu with a few options. You can deselect DirectX 11 there and it should use 9 I think. Also RAM and HDD (hard drive) are both memory, RAM is just temporary and volatile, so you can't save anything there. Applications load their stuff to RAM for fast access.

Edited by ThexDLolNoob

I bet your system is not activating that NVIDIA GPU for Warframe and is running on the low powered integrated GPU. There should be an option to enable it somewhere...

mhm, could be nVidia Optimus not "kicking in", reinstall/update GPU driver and set warframe.exe to high performance ?

Thanks for the replies, guys. A couple things I should mention, though:

-It's the NVIDIA GPU that's running; I know that for sure. 

-The 10 FPS is in a 4-man squad on the very first non-tutorial stage. Solo, I can get roughly 22 FPS.

-DirectX 11 is deselected, but I have a feeling that it's running on DirectX 10. Not completely sure, but I have a hunch that DirectX 9 isn't capable of such beautiful/GPU-intensive graphics. XD

-GameBooster is on.

-I'm fairly certain that I'm playing in the right region, as there were no latency issues when I played, but my memory as to what region that was eludes me completely. Does it affect FPS somehow?

-I haven't updated the driver in a few months, but I'm certain that something is really off with my GPU (driver currently at v314.07). For one thing, whenever I update the driver, I always get the "Driver update failed" error-- the Driver installs just fine, but NVIDIA Update, PhysX, and everything else that should be updating with it all say "Failed" with no other error code. I Googled the crap out of the errors, and asked a local techie guy, but all to no avail. None could give an explanation for what's going on; all they said was "reinstall". Which I really hope I don't have to resort to doing. I don't exactly have the budget for it. XD

-I did a bit of Googling and saw that my GPU should be Optimus-compatible, but I've never seen anything of the sort on my system. I actually had no idea my GPU was (supposed to be) Optimus-compatible until I saw your posts, actually.

-And yes, I realize that the 750GB is my hard drive. XD

If someone could shed even a tiny amount of light on the second- and third-last bullets, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help so far! +best.png

Edited by SortaRandom

Trying playing in lowest resolution or even in windowed mode in lower resolution. There should be FPS improvement, although Idk how bothered you will be playing on smaller resolution. With this old laptop of mine I wasn't able to play it well at highest resolution possible, but then I was running it smoother on smaller resolution.

Hope that will work for you.

I tried playing it at 800*600, both in Windowed Mode and in Fullscreen. In Fullscreen, there was no change in performance, and in Windowed, performance actually dropped dramatically.

Yeah, my computer's weird. XD

Did that. Sadly, it didn't do much to help. XD

EDIT: So, does anyone know if DX9 is possible for the game, and how to access it? Or is it already running on DX9? (In which case I'd like to change it to DX8. XD)

Edited by SortaRandom

I'm using Symantec Endpoint Protection (Corporate Edition) right now, on Win7 64-bit.

As for startup programs, I'm not sure which ones I should disable. I'm afraid I'm going to end up disabling things like the keyboard shortcuts (Power4Gear toggling, WiFi toggling, volume, etc) and Internet and the touch pad and a whole bunch of other things. XD

-I haven't updated the driver in a few months, but I'm certain that something is really off with my GPU (driver currently at v314.07). For one thing, whenever I update the driver, I always get the "Driver update failed" error-- the Driver installs just fine, but NVIDIA Update, PhysX, and everything else that should be updating with it all say "Failed" with no other error code. I Googled the crap out of the errors, and asked a local techie guy, but all to no avail. None could give an explanation for what's going on; all they said was "reinstall". Which I really hope I don't have to resort to doing. I don't exactly have the budget for it. XD

I think by reinstalling they meant that you should go uninstall the driver from Windows control panel, and then install again the latest version.

Edited by ThexDLolNoob

Untick DX11 in the game launcher options (gear icon on the upper right hand side).

Oh, so it's already running on DirectX 9?

...Shame. I guess that means that I'm gonna have to play on DX8 or something if I want to run it smoothly. (Is this even possible? XD)

I'm gonna try reinstalling the driver and see how that fares.

Thanks for the help so far XD

Edited by SortaRandom

?

What's so bad about GameBooster?

I mean, it's definitely not going to boost performance as much as it says it does, but it's not like it's going to drop the performance at all. Never has for me, anyways. Could you elaborate a bit more?

Edited by SortaRandom

Oh, so it's already running on DirectX 9?

...Shame. I guess that means that I'm gonna have to play on DX8 or something if I want to run it smoothly. (Is this even possible? XD)

Yes. Well at this point it could very well be a Nvidia driver issue. I'm running the game on a laptop with way lower specs than yours and it runs smoothly (AMD Trinity A8-4500, Radeon 7640G, 4GB RAM).

?

What's so bad about GameBooster?

I mean, it's definitely not going to boost performance as much as it says it does, but it's not like it's going to drop the performance at all. Never has for me, anyways. Could you elaborate a bit more?

It's because you can do all the things it does yourself, if you make the effort. GameBooster is pointless if you're adept at optimizing your OS, closing unnecessary programs/processes, etc.

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/43711-tips-to-improve-performance-in-the-game/'>Here's a thread i made with tips on how to improve your performance

As for Dx9, as far as i know this game doesn't even use Dx10/11, it's only dependency that i know of is Dx9 so you should be able to play it on Dx9.

Your specs also seem good enough to run the game with higher settings than what i recommended in my thread. Like someone else said, for some reason it seems your laptop isn't using your nvidia GPU for the game, have  you confirmed that? Do you have the http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-uk'>latest drivers installed?

Edited by Rabcor

I can second what most people said. I'm playing on a quite old desktop pc - leagues below your laptop - and it runs mostly smoothly with dx9 (aside from very large hordes anyway). Not that i have a choice btw, since my GTS250 doesn't support dx11. ~_~