The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

No Black People In Warframe

LordPreda

I like how this thread focuses solely on black people, when there are minimum two black people - both of which represented in very high-up positions - in the game, and not on skin colours that haven't appeared yet such as East Asian and West Asian. That's something incredibly interesting to see.

You could have added your opinion to the pile without antagonizing the rest of us ya know. :/

i'm saying that light, more translucent skin tones would be more common traits if the human race were to spend far less time in the sun and close to the sun. so no I'm not saying black people would turn white, I'm saying the whole human race would look more pale after many many generations. i could see certain clans having darker skin, due to that trait being more desirable to them in some fashion. but overall most of the human race would have the creepy translucent look to it. just my thoughts really

So the black people still exist but they are white?

Edited by Deshiel

I reaaaally think that bending over backwards to make all these pseudo-scientific explanations for why there are no other skin colours is a lot more awkward and messy than just admitting it was a time-saving measure, that was ok at the time but which should now be rectified. It is fiction. Fiction is speculation, but representation also plays a part, and is necessary and good.

I don't see what the big deal is. Nobody will be offended to see a couple of new skin colours in the game, it won't take long to implement them, and it will serve to at least introduce some nominal degree of variety.

i'm saying that light, more translucent skin tones would be more common traits if the human race were to spend far less time in the sun and close to the sun. so no I'm not saying black people would turn white, I'm saying the whole human race would look more pale after many many generations. i could see certain clans having darker skin, due to that trait being more desirable to them in some fashion. but overall most of the human race would have the creepy translucent look to it. just my thoughts really

Then the skin colour should be gray or albino-looking, not european-white. Again, it seems like a bend-over-backwards explanation. SURE, it could be the case, but it's infinitely more likely that DE just derped this one time.

Then the skin colour should be gray or albino-looking, not european-white. Again, it seems like a bend-over-backwards explanation. SURE, it could be the case, but it's infinitely more likely that DE just derped this one time.

you're right, everyone's a little too peachy looking. bunch of aryan lookin @&#(&*@#$#s walking around xD

You could have added your opinion to the pile without antagonizing the rest of us ya know. :/

So the black people still exist but they are white?

they wouldnt be black, whites, asians etc. i'm saying that ethnicities and races would be completely different. whether they would be even more diverse, or simply smaller variations under one race, would be up for debate.

think about it this way, at one point the human race numbered less than 100,000 and literally almost extinct, and we were all living in Africa. ( or at least that part of Pangaea if all the continents were still together) logically speaking we didnt have much diversity at that point. once we grew in numbers, our species spread out after many generations. after a certain point we were spread out over the whole world, with many groups of people living in vastly different types of regions. through the process of adaptation and survival of the fittest, we now have a variety of ethnicities and races within the same species. now, if we take what we know, and apply it to "what if humans live in space", we can safely assume the our "descendants" would in fact no long er be considered "white, black, latino etc" because those classifications would no longer exist, we would have another set of classifications, because we would have other sets of features. 

I reaaaally think that bending over backwards to make all these pseudo-scientific explanations for why there are no other skin colours is a lot more awkward and messy than just admitting it was a time-saving measure, that was ok at the time but which should now be rectified. It is fiction. Fiction is speculation, but representation also plays a part, and is necessary and good.

I don't see what the big deal is. Nobody will be offended to see a couple of new skin colours in the game, it won't take long to implement them, and it will serve to at least introduce some nominal degree of variety.

why is representation necessary? warframe isn't a democracy that we live in, where we are experiencing taxation without representation. we play in a video game as a fictitious human? sect known as the tenno. we never even come out of our frames. if you feel like playing an "asian" or "black" person then just imagine that your tenno is that way. but obviously the tenno don't identify that way. there arent sub classifications for tenno. we are simply tenno. that's who we are supposed to identify with, because thats what we play as.

now if you're saying that players need representation from NPC's, well, that's just silly. because i could say "i feel unrepresented because none of the NPC's self identify as an atheist/christian/gay." what if those races/religions/sexual identity simply don't exist in the universe they created? i liked farcry 4. there are no white characters in the game (that i remember). should i have whined that i wasn't getting representation? no. because it's dumb

So why aren't there any? Last I checked the human race had a lot of skin colours to choose from.

And the prize for least helpful comment goes to...

Thousands of years of easy travel and interbreeding.

Plus, maybe black people don't like to space as much.

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2015/sep/04/burning-man-founder-larry-harvey-race-diversity-silicon-valley

Have you noticed? Apart from Teshin, everyone is white ._. And in the Relays, where male NPC's have full face-coverings and female NPC's have the mouth exposed, they're all white as well.

How do you know some of the corpus and grineer that were affected by infestation weren't black, or asian, or any other skin colour?

How do you know the fully covered characters don't have non-white skin underneath?

How do you know they're caucasian anyways? They could be light skinned asian or indian.

Maybe there wouldn't be as much variance in the Grineer, because they're clones from a single sample (and also they were slaves and there might be more people with issues with that anyways). Additionally, the Q&A on the forums from that Cephalon (Cordylion? Something...) said there are tons of civilizations that we just don't see because we only focus on the war aspect of the Solar System. We are Tenno. We are soldiers.

You suppose they're caucasian? Who says they're even Homo Sapien? Nobody, that's right. Nobody in canon at least.

How about just stop.

Sexual identity, gender and race really aren't the point of the game, so stop trying to make them the point of the game -- this statement goes out to all the people who start these threads, not just this OP.

I certainly hope the new Corpus enemies introduce some skin tone variety the way they will introduce some female crewmen. But the point still stands that the regular crewmen still all look the same for no good reason, since they aren't clones. And i've already mentioned the Relay NPC's and Operatives we meet.

I'm not videogame developer but I do think some minor alterations of the textures and changing the code to introduce them takes very little time.

I really don't want to turn this thread into a "why is representation good?" or "talking about race makes you racist" discussion. The point of this thread is to point out the lack of variety. If you do not think variety is necessary, kindly discuss that in another thread, because the need for variety is pretty fundamental to this one.

I would like DE to notice this thread for other reasons than just to lock it.

Have you noticed? Apart from Teshin, everyone is white ._. And in the Relays, where male NPC's have full face-coverings and female NPC's have the mouth exposed, they're all white as well.

corpus have black ppl

we saw them in the trailer

also yeah

Tenno can choose color skin :D

Go in char custumization (thoug its in our mind atm , but who know)

Edited by Tsoe

I'm not going to go so far as to say the OP is a moron for bringing this up, but it really begs the question... why does it matter?

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not against it at all. If DE decides they have the time for this while ensuring ALL other content is on track and going strong, sure. Why not. It won't make a lick of difference, but it'll help coddle the crumbling egos of race warriors. But if this is going to interrupt other content just so they don't get called racist by a bunch of cry-babies who can't help but find something to victimize themself, then we're going to have a problem.

You need to learn to let things go. Honestly, if they dropped a patch tonight that made all the NPCs black, white, asian, etc... in equal numbers, are you really going to feel better? The answer is no, you won't. Because in your head, you've already victimized yourself and anything done from this point on will seem like a patch on a bigger issue.

If DE does it, they're going to have a lot more problems. If DE doesn't do it, they potentionally lose 3 players. Take your pick.

You need to learn to let things go. Honestly, if they dropped a patch tonight that made all the NPCs black, white, asian, etc... in equal numbers, are you really going to feel better? The answer is no, you won't. Because in your head, you've already victimized yourself and anything done from this point on will seem like a patch on a bigger issue.

You would make a good politician, the way you use a straw-figure representation of the opposite viewpoint to "win" arguments. You don't know me, you don't know how I think or what I believe, and pretending to do so is disrespectful

• 2 weeks later...

Facial structure is a far better indicator of race than skin colour. Otherwise you might think the Swedes, Jews, and Japanese were all the same race.

oh that's VERY TRUE. And while we're on the subject we could increase the variety of NPC's with various body types, more muscular, taller, shorter, ganglier, fatter, etc. But those imply additional modelling work, increasing effort and time spent on this, as does facial structure.

I just brought up skin colour because it is really easy to change. It's just a texture job, shouldn't take more than a few minutes, then a bit longer to code in.

It's not just a lack of black people.

It's a lack of people in general.

(As for the people crying about "but that's extra work with no value beyond being politically correct!", you're being stupendously tardy. You're completely ignoring the function of immersion and a consistent lore, a world that connects to the real world and implies an internal and self-contained history.)

Edited by Phobonaut

Its funny how these things keep coming up. I give DE a lot of credit, and this game is not complete, I don't care what anyone says. Yes, parts will always be in development, but also parts that just belong in a complete game are not yet finalized or even exist. In part, DE has relied on the mystery through obscurity, via Dark Souls, but I don't think this serves Warframe ultimately. 

Multi-Ethnic representation exist in the game, but yes it is far and few in-between. DE should at some point rectify this, that would be the best solution. I don't know yet, but the knew Corpus units may address this issue. 

Why this is important? Because games are an important, and often underrated medium of social influence. More so now than ever, and how it presents itself, signals to its users about various topics. Many may never register this signaling, but for many its working on them wether they realize it or not. Scifi, more than many genre's is about what the future could be, and so signally is very important. A whitewashed world is a disturbing one, and not what I think DE intends to present with Warframe. 

Please not this stuff again. Thread owner you must be known about that you set bomb down now.

These kind of things are so easy to blow up on face that it is just easier to avoid making this kind of threads.

And no I am not saying that I am racist. We have all pretty much seen this kind of stuff. Having kind of high possibility to everything become radioactively toxic.