Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Is Your Reason For Not Using Kubrows?

_Rue_

Sorry, I rambled a bit too much typing all that out. I've never had a Kubrow actually die from DNA stabilzation, but that is what I meant, I really dislike how that can happen. The whole perma-death feature for them just seems out of place in this game.

And Vacuum can pull things through walls? Never noticed that, but yeah, I wouldn't argue that that needs a fix, lol. 

Kubrows will only die if you jsut really neglect them. Just like real life c: 

Yet another feature the upgrade segment helped with.  halved the DNA decay and auto-stasis when the kubrow is at fatal health. 

Here's a rundown of my average session with someone who brings a kubrow:

Kubrow goes into bleedout, a room or teo away from the entire squad. Kubrow owner runs to the rescue. Repeat two or three times, and the next time it goes down the owner goes down trying to revive it. I revive the player, who proceeds to tell me the whole time I am reviving him to ignore him and save his dog. Seriously. This is almost every single high level mission I have played that had a kubrow on it.

Now, one question of my own.

Why would I revive the idiotic furball distraction that got you killed instead of you when the mission needs you to actually focus on something other than your glorified chihuahua?

I hope DE reads this thread and fixes the dogs.

1) Terribad AI. Get stuck, stop doing their job, suicide on dangerous enemies. No way to control them and stop from attacking.

2) Poor functionality. Sunika is useless, Chesa is useless. Others often don't work due to AI (see 1),

3) Cant equip universal sentinel mods, like Guardian and Coolant leak

4) Worse in combat  - melee, slow, no elemental procs, bad AI (see 1)

5) Still cant switch the type quickly and freely (I might need invis for one mission and digger for the next - nope, wait or pay!)

I don't care about upkeep, its cheap for how much you earn per DS missions, but Kubrows are worse than sentinels even if they were free.

They sure are! I can't ever tell what they're gonna do, when they're gonna do it, what posts they actually read, and THEY don't even seem to know the reasons behind half of anything that happens.

FYI, I'm mostly just venting some steam from the crazy server outages with virtually no communication or reassurance from DE on the worst outage(s) EVER SEEN. And on a BIG reward, alert, baro-visit weekend to boot!

Nah believe me they read the forums more often then what we may think, there's always someone with an open eye around these forums. And seeing as this Thread is actually a feedback thread it has probably their attention already (:

If Not we just keep posting!

Sorry, I rambled a bit too much typing all that out. I've never had a Kubrow actually die from DNA stabilzation, but that is what I meant, I really dislike how that can happen. The whole perma-death feature for them just seems out of place in this game.

And Vacuum can pull things through walls? Never noticed that, but yeah, I wouldn't argue that that needs a fix, lol. 

It's fine! ^^

Yea it does sometimes pulls energy and resources from 1 floor above/below you or simply sucks a couple items trough walls , you can literally open all containers in the void and suck the loot out with carrier...

Kubrows will only die if you jsut really neglect them. Just like real life c: 

Yet another feature the upgrade segment helped with.  halved the DNA decay and auto-stasis when the kubrow is at fatal health. 

^

He's right, but I get what people mean by being actually perma-death, specially for those newer players, but still people need to do some research on what their trying to build/get.

Hopefully more people will get that upgrade segment witch is pretty neat itself.

• 3 weeks later...

For one, I went to the hospital, and was horrified that it had died, that being said the new module helps a lot with that, but why do we even have upkeep, can't Ordis feed them?  The next problem I've had is RNGesus, I made one when they first came out and she was a Raksa, which I didn't really like, so I stasis'ed her and tried again, and got yet another Raksa.  I friend I played with told me to just let them starve to death, and I can try again (it was before the consign death), and I was a bit horrified when I found that was an accepted practice back then.  Back on topic though...  I'm still a bit miffed I can't actually make a smaller one, almost all of mine are bigger then my warframe, so there's that too.

Sunika Kubrow- Never managed to get one of these.

Raksa Kubrow- My fried loves this type, it's okay from my point of view, it seems very dilligent, but its a common sentinel mod, that all mine use.

Sahasa Kubrow-  I sorta like this one, the Kubrow I use regularly was this one till I managed to breed a Huras.  It's a good one if you can find a room with lots of locked boxes and have to go AFK.

Huras Kubrow-  Now this one I really like, the stealth if pretty commonly and actively applied, and It's mostly replaced my Sahasa.

Chesa Kubrow- I just managed to breed one, but he's still in the incubator :/

As I posted in the Chesa thread

Maybe see if some drop priority can be put in the Chesa too.  They have a huge radius, and go for rare mods first, then regular mods, then rare materials, etc.  IE they're smarter then carrier about what their owner wants.

Another thing I might consider adding, is a generic mod that lets them access either the scanner or the synthesis scanner, it might give the a extra something, and maybe some of the quality of life sentinel mods let kubrow's use, and fluff it as armor modules.   Mods like Coolant leak, sanctuary (or a kubrow of this one is needed), and maybe the auto rev one.  At the worst some of those nice optional mods would make people more interested.

Sorry for all the text.

Poor AI, Too much upkeep and they are like bullet sponges. Plus unlike Sentinels, they can die permanently

The upkeep (with the dna stabilizers) I feel could be improved but still keeping the "pet" feeding type mechanic in tact would be this: When we are logged into the game and playing, THAT's when their health/DNA stabilization would decrease. But when we are offline and not logged into our account, even with an active kubrow, it should act just like it does in stasis BUT still be active.

Something that kinda bothers me is that while you yourself are retreating from enemies once they become too much for you to handle, the Kurbrow has a habit of foolishly standing it's ground instead of keeping up with you. This inevitably leads to it bleeding out, which in turn leads to you either having to risk your own hide revving it or leaving it behind and losing responsible owner points with it. Not necessarily a dealbreaker, but at least Sentinels are (literally) always by your side and don't start getting pissy with you when they die.

Edited by Paradoxbomb

The little doge can deal so much damage when your group has 4x CP and is a valid companion when I'm running on limbo (of all the frames, am I right? lol) or in capture missions, but that's where it ends. They just can't do much with the poor AI they roam around with. I've seen them many time just run straight past a bigger target and pick off some little guy not even worth my time let alone their time. It seems like the AI picks a target then guns for it instead of a constantly updating system to pick a better target as they arise. They also lack AI customisation. They all run off what seems to be the same exact AI pattern only slightly modified by their breed specific mods. I'm sure sentinels could benefit from basic targeting customization too. 

They also lack serious damage customization. They're locked to 2 mods to buff their damage. They don't deal poor damage, but it falls off hard when armor is taken into account. They definitely need some basic "weapons" that could use a set physical damage type. For a simple example, they could charge for impact, use claws for slash and bite for puncture. Maybe even make it into a smart AI system where they use those 3 in combination to deal with targets. (IE: a moa gets charged into to take the shields out then gets nommed on for the finishing puncture damage)

Finally, they just don't have anything that makes them standout from sentinels. Sure, they can be revived, but I very seldomly lose my carrier prime. Even in a T4 survival I did some odd hours ago. We went to 60m and were constantly running around. It used its revive once due a bombard hitting me a few times when reviving a teammate, but that's it. It was still intact and was helping me throughout the mission. Point is, they're more of a novelty than a serious choice in 90% of my anecdotal cases. 

Serious reply for a serious thread. Cheers!

Worst about kubrow are AI and Loyalty system.
A.I. - in corpus excavation (triton) he stay at place even if he hitted by Sapping Osprey and die. If you try help him you die too because reviving  is so long and another osprey drop another granate (That little flying thing is stronges corpus enemy)
      - In burning map (invasions) he/she always step on fire and burn
      - In all maps always stucked in animation when try run trought the wall (only reset help him)
      - also killed by infested bees and that infested what drop that mess on floor (dont remeber name)
Fix opinion: 1) quick fix is invulnerbale by all AoE effects, 2) Long fix is total AI rework

Loyalty - This is the worst thing on kubrows. If he die bacause he is stucked somewhere you never go back to save him
             - Now you go check and you have only 60% dmg bonus, If he die again you will have 20% dmg bonus also risking loose loyatly if i forget.
             - Soo you must wait so long to replenish on 100% again and He die again -> wait to get 100% dmg boost... again
Fix opinion: completly remove loyalty. Change it in % healt lose (based on incubator segment). example:" kubrov die = -10 dna stability. (-20 without segment)" DNA stability reduce healt and that is true punishment if they die in mission but you can quickly heal them by dna stabilizer. DNA stabilizer is buyable from market. If you dont have credit -> stasis and credit farm. If you have toon of credits you can use your favorite kubrow all day/night without fear you can lose dmg and loyalty.

I've posted in this thread perviously, stating that the reason I don't use kubrows is because my incubator is always busy hatching puppies as I try in vain to obtain all the kubrow breeds. This is still the case, but I figured I'd add another reason why I am unlikely to use kubrows regularly even if my incubator were available.

Generally, I bring companions for utility, not combat. More often than not, I don't even have the attack precept equipped on my sentinel - unless I am doing a late wave and/or high tier endless mission, armed sentinels are a killstealing nuisance. But I can disable a sentinel's offensive capabilities so it just follows me around doing useful things such as restoring my shields, shielding me while I revive allies, scanning new enemies for me, picking up loot, etc., without directly interfering in combat. With kubrows, you don't have this option. There's no removable basic attack precept and you can't give them commands. I can't bring kubrows on stealth missions because they will attack at inopportune moments. I can't scan enemies because the mutt will kill them before I'm finished scanning.

Of course, none of this matters because my incubator will probably remain busy for the forseeable future. Kavats will probably be released before I successfuly obtain a Chesa, and if those also have their breed determined by RNG, I'll be stuck throwing eggs at the incubator forever.

I hope DE reads this thread and fixes the dogs.

1) Terribad AI. Get stuck, stop doing their job, suicide on dangerous enemies. No way to control them and stop from attacking.

2) Poor functionality. Sunika is useless, Chesa is useless. Others often don't work due to AI (see 1),

3) Cant equip universal sentinel mods, like Guardian and Coolant leak

4) Worse in combat  - melee, slow, no elemental procs, bad AI (see 1)

5) Still cant switch the type quickly and freely (I might need invis for one mission and digger for the next - nope, wait or pay!)

I don't care about upkeep, its cheap for how much you earn per DS missions, but Kubrows are worse than sentinels even if they were free.

Paying platinum for a new AI. The only solution to motivate DE to do something?

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/540274-ai-prime-for-kubrow/#entry6068279

Edited by Awazx

Permanent death and upkeep is why I don't use them.

We can trust that sentinels are always with you, and if they die you know no harm was done as on next mission they are with you again.

Sentinel abilities are just better. Carrier Prime is still most helpful friend you can have.

Random looks. The breeding thing is bothersome I have yet to get one the type I want and that looks the way I want. Never got invested because of that.

The upkeep was also a factor. 100k every couple days adds up. And that's a price to not let your Kubrow die a hardcore death. Heavens forbid something happens IRL that keeps you away for a good chunk of the year without making the proper preparations for you to come back only to find all your hard work jettisoned into space cuz it perished while you couldn't get back on.

Calling carrier users "casuals" isn't fair, there are so many pickups in WF and sometimes you can even get access to things behind locked doors by using AOE to destroy the containers and carrier to suck up the drops through the wall/door.

And since WF is more about doing things quickly to maximize your number of runs to get past the 5.64% drop chance wall not having to think about getting all the pickups makes gameplay a lot smoother.

Problem with kubrows is that they only do one thing at a time and they do it fairly slowly, chesa kubrows hold one items in their mouth at a time and carries it to you, if you already have enough of that item the kubrow will follow you for a time holding that item in it's mouth, before it tries to repeat the process with something else, carrier just sucks all pickups nearby to you, it's a lot more efficient, it also shoots enemies at range, and can basically fire and suck pickups at the same time, your kubrow takes a relatively long time to attack an enemy since they're melee only. Main problem I find with kubrows is that their fairly lenghty animation and AI routines basically makes them much slower than sentinels, and thus less useful.

If kubrows got buffed in some fashion they'd be a lot more useful, for example a kubrow instead of walking around slowly and making a canned attack animation against each enemy in turn should be sped up by making the kubrow basically leap from enemy to enemy tearing out throats on the way. Similarly the locker opening animation is very lengthy and slow, could be reduced to the kubrow just banging the locker right while moving past it, instead of the clunky current animation that requires the kubrow to stop for several seconds. If chesa could carry more items than one at a time they'd be a lot more useful, though I'm not sure how they could be on-par with carrier while still moving items physically.

Edited by KriLL3

Calling carrier users "casuals" isn't fair, there are so many pickups in WF and sometimes you can even get access to things behind locked doors by using AOE to destroy the containers and carrier to suck up the drops through the wall/door.

And since WF is more about doing things quickly to maximize your number of runs to get past the 5.64% drop chance wall not having to think about getting all the pickups makes gameplay a lot smoother.

Problem with kubrows is that they only do one thing at a time and they do it fairly slowly, chesa kubrows hold one items in their mouth at a time and carries it to you, if you already have enough of that item the kubrow will follow you for a time holding that item in it's mouth, before it tries to repeat the process with something else, carrier just sucks all pickups nearby to you, it's a lot more efficient, it also shoots enemies at range, and can basically fire and suck pickups at the same time, your kubrow takes a relatively long time to attack an enemy since they're melee only. Main problem I find with kubrows is that their fairly lenghty animation and AI routines basically makes them much slower than sentinels, and thus less useful.

If kubrows got buffed in some fashion they'd be a lot more useful, for example a kubrow instead of walking around slowly and making a canned attack animation against each enemy in turn should be sped up by making the kubrow basically leap from enemy to enemy tearing out throats on the way. Similarly the locker opening animation is very lengthy and slow, could be reduced to the kubrow just banging the locker right while moving past it, instead of the clunky current animation that requires the kubrow to stop for several seconds. If chesa could carry more items than one at a time they'd be a lot more useful, though I'm not sure how they could be on-par with carrier while still moving items physically.

One thing about chesa that i discovered... When it picks up the item, it picks it up for everyone in the team, just like the old Greedy Pull. Too bad she's so slow. >_<