The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Cross Platform W/ Xbox Windows 10

Nonkalonk

So I'm sure we've all wanted cross platform on this game, i mean who wouldn't. But i feel that now with the new XBox live cross platform integration in windows 10 that XBox cross platforming should be even more emphasized. Unfortunately, out of all my friends i'm the only one who plays the game on PC and they play on XBox so obviously i have some extra wanting for this feature. But as a suggestion shouldn't it be a lot easier now with windows 10? Not to be pushy about it but it shouldn't be too hard now, in theory, if the XBox game is on the same version and update as the PC they should be able to cross play. DE likes to say that they will always give us PC players the updates first, but honestly would it be a big deal to just wait for the XBox version to catch up to us? We won't be mad about not getting updates if we don't know there is any. I don't see a problem with this idea, and it would be a great addition to the game, for me at least, or anyone else in my position. Why not make it happen?

We (PC players) are the beta testers, of a sort, which means we'll always be ahead on updates.

Unless DE gives a one-time option to:

Play the beta (current patch for PCs)

-or-

Play the stable releases (current patch for PS4 and Xbone)

Then this is far-fetched

We won't be mad about not getting updates if we don't know there is any. I don't see a problem with this idea, and it would be a great addition to the game, for me at least, or anyone else in my position. Why not make it happen?

You obviously haven't seen the update status threads that go up whenever there's a big update. A LOT of people of this community are savage addicts that need their fix, whether it be updates or information. And don't tell me I'm wrong or that I'm being rude. We all know this is the case.

So unfortunately, not everyone holds the same patience that you claim to have. Personally, I think it'd be great if DE just pushed back a PC update to allow for cross platform gameplay, because I have friends that play XBox and Playstation as well. I could wait for it, granted I might get a little antsy but no biggy.

Sadly, this just isn't likely to happen.

Edited by CollinSprites

that won't change anything. Consoles still require certification before you're allowed to push an update to it (and you get into legal trouble if you just push updates and circumvent certification) - which means that development of the entire game would need to slow down to have Cross Platform.

Digital Extremes refuses to slow down their work just for Microsoft and Sony to drag their feet about everything as usual.

You obviously haven't seen the update status threads that go up whenever there's a big update. A LOT of people of this community are savage addicts that need their fix, whether it be updates or information. And don't tell me I'm wrong or that I'm being rude. We all know this is the case.

I have seen updates threads that go absolutely crazy so i understand what you are saying here, but lets say if DE started working on Cross Play, wouldn't people be more focused on that being released and spend less time ranting on stupid nerfs or updates? Also, if DE ,lets say, starts working on cross platform, wouldn't they release it officially on a stable version with as minimal bugs as possible? so that people will pause being savage addicts over updates since there wouldn't be any until after the cross platform release? I know this a long shot and near impossible feat, but i'm saying it should be focused on now with the new Windows 10 xbox integration. 

I think you underestimate how driven people are to gripe and complain. Honestly, most of these forums look like the salt flats of Utah, and when they don't have something important to complain about they go looking for a reason. Nothing, ever, will stem the tide of whining in these forums. Short of the forums being deleted, that is.

One of the big problems with this idea is say DE does do this. Then a big game breaking bug happens that they weren't able to catch. If they fix it on PC immediately then it will break cross play. Meanwhile for the fix to arrive on PS4/Xbox they would have to wait for it to go through certification, meaning that consoles would be dealing with a potentially major game breaker for at least a week. Currently that is avoided because if there is a game breaking bug that they missed PC catches and can hotfix it almost immediately and that simply is not an option for consoles. Honestly there would be a lot more bugs making its way to consoles if this happened and that wouldn't be good for anyone.

I think you underestimate how driven people are to gripe and complain. Honestly, most of these forums look like the salt flats of Utah, and when they don't have something important to complain about they go looking for a reason. Nothing, ever, will stem the tide of whining in these forums. Short of the forums being deleted, that is.

+1 to this.

I'm fairly new to the forums butt not the game(hehe butt). While poking around on the forums just to see if there's anything interesting going on I just thread after thread and post after post about nothing but people complaining about... in most cases next to nothing. I see alot of good and viable suggestions, but that gets outranked by the more threads of whining.

But on the note of the cross platforming, it's a nice and fun concept to massively increase the player ineract with one another but I don't see it happening just due to us PC Tenno, we get the updates and releases early because as P3Z1 said, we are essentially the testers.

Edited by Exmix

We (PC players) are the beta testers, of a sort, which means we'll always be ahead on updates.

Unless DE gives a one-time option to:

Play the beta (current patch for PCs)

-or-

Play the stable releases (current patch for PS4 and Xbone)

Then this is far-fetched

This is absolutely not the reason PCs get updated first.  Every patch goes through a certification process with Microsoft and Sony before its hosted.

There is not one bit of truth in that post...at all...

So I'm sure we've all wanted cross platform on this game, i mean who wouldn't. But i feel that now with the new XBox live cross platform integration in windows 10 that XBox cross platforming should be even more emphasized.

Windows 10 has nothing to do with cross platform (it's just streaming from one device to another, not running the game). The mere fact that people can play this game on Windows 7, Windows 8 (8.1), and Windows 10 should be all you need to know about the lack of issue the base OS is for gaming.

I know people that play online games only meant for Windows by using Linux with WINE (windows emulator) and some tricks/coding. The entire internet is built on being OS blind, the network doesn't care what the end points are. The only reason consoles and PCs can't interact is due to the issues as mentioned with console approval processes and the developers/manufacturer's themselves.

For instance, there has never been a reason why someone playing HALO on the PC couldn't play with/against a person playing on Xbox, other than that's the way MS wants it.

• 2 weeks later...

Windows 10 has nothing to do with cross platform (it's just streaming from one device to another, not running the game). The mere fact that people can play this game on Windows 7, Windows 8 (8.1), and Windows 10 should be all you need to know about the lack of issue the base OS is for gaming.

I know people that play online games only meant for Windows by using Linux with WINE (windows emulator) and some tricks/coding. The entire internet is built on being OS blind, the network doesn't care what the end points are. The only reason consoles and PCs can't interact is due to the issues as mentioned with console approval processes and the developers/manufacturer's themselves.

For instance, there has never been a reason why someone playing HALO on the PC couldn't play with/against a person playing on Xbox, other than that's the way MS wants it.

From what I understand, the reason we don't have cross platform is because of coding issues.  PS4/XBOX1/PC all run on different framewok coding.  You can't just take a PC game and stick it into an XBOX and have it work.  The idea behind the Windows 10 was to eliminate this issue and bring the console/PC players into the same game.  It saves money to developers and the consumer (all though the later will never see any savings).  Microsoft has already stated that by running Windows 10 on both the XBOX1 and PC will allow them to cross platform between these two systems.  Now games like COD or any other FPS game will probably not have that luxury due to the unfair advantage PC games get due to the mouse and keyboard.  CO-OP though seems to be fair game for all.  

http://kotaku.com/how-cross-play-on-xbox-and-windows-10-will-work-1722433288

As for update releases, there's no reason why with a system so close to each other that DE can't push the same update to console.  If PC has to wait a week to get the update due to red tape for consoles, it's still better than waiting a few months.

As for update releases, there's no reason why with a system so close to each other that DE can't push the same update to console.  If PC has to wait a week to get the update due to red tape for consoles, it's still better than waiting a few months.

Except that such still wouldn't work out in reality at the moment.  Shortly after many updates drop we on the PC side see a hotfix for some or many obscure issues within a day's time.  Such isn't possible on the Xbox side however due to the certification which has to occur due to Microsoft's policy (same for PS4 and Sony).  This means all hotfixes too would need to be delayed by a week's time, which then compounds to further slow the entire development of the game.

All in all, with the game in the constant state of updates and changes that it's in, Cross-play just isn't a viable option.  While I too hope to see it eventually, doing it now would be a bad idea.

Edited by Bobtm

So - aside from people like OP getting to play with their friends, what benefits do we get from cross-platform gaming exactly? Because I've never seen what the fuss is about honestly.

PC gamers already have to put with enough 'AAA' titles being downscaled or lacking functionality thanks to bigger market console crowd. In the long term - how is this beneficial to us? All I see is a boatload of hassle for the sake of having a higher percentage of teenagers swearing at me over voice comms than I already have now. 

And yes, I'm looking at the bigger picture, beyond Warframe and playing with other, more different, groups of friends.

Microsoft already botched this up once before, if I'm not mistaken? Surely we'd expect to see them pull it off properly before expecting a mid-sized company like DE to get it done.