Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Scythes Actual Condition Discussion Thread

B0N3M4N

Hello everyone,

as the title says, on this Thread I want to talk about the condition of the Scythes right now ingame. I want to ear from you what's your opinion about them and if there are some changes or some reworks/buffs incoming for them.

Right now I'll start saying that, since we got on Damage 2.0 and so the Scythes have completely lost their armor ignore mechanic of Damage 1.0, nearly EVERY Scythe(except for the Anku, which is kinda new) have been completely destroyed stat-wise.

Their damage is generally low and the same goes with other stats in general: short range, slow animations and attack speed, with Crit and Status stats that make them non-aviable for both crit and status builds(this last only if slapping 4 double element mods on them, but doing that will make them lose even more damage compared to the low one that they already have).

Today I used the Anku and I felt kinda sad about the fact that the Scythes stances are generally pretty good ones(Stalking Fan is absolutely pure fun), but in the end removing that the other ones will get completely no chance even when against Lv40 Heavy Units.

I didn't heard anything about Scythe buffs from the Devs, so I wanted to give more attention to this amazing category of melee weapons that has got nearly completely ignored for these 2 years.

Said that if you as a Scythe user want to share some feedback I'd be glad to hear that, afterall even if I wrote a negative feedback about them I'd like to see if there's someone that still uses Scythes and how they adapted to the "New" Damage System. Or maybe you just want to say that Scythes needs a buff like me giving a +1 and helping this thread to get some visibility by the Devs, that's pretty fine too.

Edited by Redskull94

+1

i recently brought the reaper prime set cos it looked bootyful but was kinda dissapointed by the stats

i wanna check out the hate, but i still need to kill the stalker a couple of times to get it to drop.

scythes are really pretty, but id like to have other alluring aspects for them aswell.

I like Scythes in general as weapon class and I own them all. All I can say is that I own the Hate and it's a straight downgrade to the Reaper P, pretty much the same except it has got 3% more status chance but way slower attack speed and a slower jump attack animation, that's it.

Anku is frankly the only viable scythe. The others need serious work. The big issue imo with scythes is the lack of mobility (yes, even with stalking fan) in the stances. Now, hear me out here. I don't necessarily think that is a bad thing. Scythes are NOT easy to carry or use, lack of mobility makes sense. BUT. Scythes have MASSIVE range. They are made to harvest a huge amount of crops on each swing, to speed up work for less effort put in than say a sickle. When you look at what we have vs what a "scythe" typically is seen as, what we have is closer to an enlarged sickle. My suggestion is to completely resize/redo the scythe models and give them huge range and 8+ targets per swing as their weapon category's niche. This would make up for the lack of mobility in the stances, give scythes the niche they've always wanted, and make them generally more viable with something besides pure damage. It will add something for people who prefer cleaving through hordes rather than absolutely devastating damage on each single target clearing them out as they move through them (which fyi is actually what I personally enjoy).

In short- I'd like them to look like fearsome scythes rather than a toy, and let them have a niche that adds a playstyle choice of horde rending for that little bit of extra variety that makes this game so great.

P.s. Yes, I'm aware that galatine/scindo spin2win cleaving whirlwind or tempo royal can get this general sort of feel, but it's just not quite the same. Additionally I believe these weapons can only hit up to 5 targets per swing, I'd like to see scythes able to hit around 8-10, and have longer base range (fyi, galatine base range despite it's model is for whatever reason only 2m. But I digress).

All the other scythes need to be bumped up to around Anku's level. The Anku is actually in a pretty good spot as far as melee weapons go.

My ideal progression would be Ether Reaper being the weakest, Anku being just below the Hate and Reaper Prime, with Hate and Reaper Prime being mostly a sidegrade (Think Dread and Paris Prime).

-snip-

I do agree with you on the fact that Scythes are normally meant to be used with a long range(more than one time even with 2 handles) to kill multiple enemies with huge swings, but as the Scythe class in Warframe is right now I think it'll be a bit too much of a change for it. I mean if DE do want to release some new Scythes that resemble the original ones, with their wide hit stances, then why not, but right now changing the actually Scythes as they are right now will be like changing it with another weapon class.

At this point I'll prefer to get Scythes and Long Scythes compared to get all the Scythes with the concept of the original ones.

All the other scythes need to be bumped up to around Anku's level. The Anku is actually in a pretty good spot as far as melee weapons go.

My ideal progression would be Ether Reaper being the weakest, Anku being just below the Hate and Reaper Prime, with Hate and Reaper Prime being mostly a sidegrade (Think Dread and Paris Prime).

I'd like a lot to see your concept being applied on the game. In the end weapons like the Primed ones are meant to be advanced ones and the Stalker's weaponry is not easly obtainable by his drops, so you'll get the reward from you effort fighting him with a good Scythe compared to the "not-so-good" that we have right now.

I personally think Scythes should recieve a visual rework/update along with an animation/speed one.

If were being honest here they look more like pick-axes than fantasy battle scythes.

The game only has 4 if I recall correctly. With so few I think it would make sense to take what we have and update them to look like actual scythes.

They could either adjust the animations for the stances to be faster, or make new ones completely. Personally I'd prefere the latter as it ties in with the rest of my idea.

Keep them both as they are right now, and remake them anew. Take the 4 and remake them into the crazy awesome(orthos sized)weapons we tend to picture them to be, but also keep them as they are under a new name. Essentially creating 2 new weapon types at once. Sorta.

Rebalancing at the same time of course. I believe a change like this should appease everyone. As even tho I honestly find their current designs to be very underwhelming in the badass catagory...I cant help but love how they play. Particularly with stalking fan.

Forgive me if this isnt the kinda feedback you were hoping for. I'm not a numbers kinda man, so aside from saying something like "buff damage" I'm afraid I cant help in that reguard.

-snip-

It is still feedback about this category of weapons and that's what matters for me, even if you're not doing math and all that stuff.

For the Scythe class as I replied before to Stratego I'd like to see, because of this much wanting to have some kinda of "original" concept of Scythes, the creation of a new "Long Scythes" class of melee weapons, that allow players to use them as they were originally meant to be by historical facts.

Indeed those should be more like of a Heavy Weapon category compared to the normal Scythe, focused on multihit and even more on wide single-damage moves instead of hacking and slashing all the way through your enemies, I do play sometime Galatine with Cleaving Whirlwind and I know what you're talking about here.

I'm a big melee lover in general and I'd love to see even more weapon choice compared to what we have now, so you get all my support for this new "Long Scythe" class if the Devs will ever take it in consideration.

Edited by Redskull94

I do agree with you on the fact that Scythes are normally meant to be used with a long range(more than one time even with 2 handles) to kill multiple enemies with huge swings, but as the Scythe class in Warframe is right now I think it'll be a bit too much of a change for it. I mean if DE do want to release some new Scythes that resemble the original ones, with their wide hit stances, then why not, but right now changing the actually Scythes as they are right now will be like changing it with another weapon class.

At this point I'll prefer to get Scythes and Long Scythes compared to get all the Scythes with the concept of the original ones.

I get what you're saying here. In that case maybe rename what we have now to "Sickles" and make the newer "big" ones "Scythes". A remodel of our current scythes would requires redoing all the animations and all that anyway, I guess it would make sense to just make all new weapons entirely.

They also need a visual reboot

Big chunky two handed scythes to cleave my foes in twain pl0x!

Let us be fearful when the stalker comes knocking to literally reap us with hate

Change the head of the ether reaper to be an actual scythe head rather then a small axe head on a large haft

My .02

-Phyrak

imo scythes should have a special utility that is unique to them (along with some +dmg +speed tweaks) 

the concave blade pulls material onto it, after the inital bite, drawing the material into and along it instead of cutting out like most sword blades

an innate "pull" effect on striking an enemy to all scythe weapons

similar to the pull of vortex/simulor but with a much smaller pull range but still affects other enemies very close by

the purpose is to pull enemies into a multi hit swing creating the reaping effect 

the opposite of multi hits with long range melee weapons, it rewards you for timing your attack to catch a group of clustered enemies 

also it just seems very fitting and thematic for hate to be reworked into a crit weapon, well one can dream

Scythes imho got the whip treatment.

A whole class of more or less irrelevant weapons that instead of getting revamped got powercreeped out of usability and existance by the last release - Atterax for whips and Anku for scythes.

The stance is really good for scythes but the weapons... Ugh. So bad.

Scythe stances don't have finisher-prompt combo. Kinda sad

Well, many other stances don't have that too, plus the finisher from the back of the Scythes actually is the same one of heavy weapons, like greatswords, axes and hammers, I think that it should get another animation sooner or later, like it has for the frontal ones.

Edited by Redskull94

Heya peeps,

Sent DEReb a message about this to send it to the art/animation peeps

She said she was gonna check it out

So, hopefully if we chuck some comments on the next dev stream or ask about on prime time often enough - we can get some good clarification on their plans with scythes and pick axes XD

-Phyrak

Heya peeps,

Sent DEReb a message about this to send it to the art/animation peeps

She said she was gonna check it out

So, hopefully if we chuck some comments on the next dev stream or ask about on prime time often enough - we can get some good clarification on their plans with scythes and pick axes XD

-Phyrak

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

I hope that after this we'll get some more attention about this melee category, so players who enjoy using it like me will be able to use their favourite weapon without having to fight only against Lv 20 enemies.

I think that I'll wait for the answer by the Reb or the Devs, if we're gonna get nothing then I suppose I'll have to ask it on the Devstream so.

Gonna try to give as much effort as possible to get back to a decent state these old and forgotten weps(that I love SO much) :3

Edited by Redskull94

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

I hope that after this we'll get some more attention about this melee category, so players who enjoy using it like me will be able to use their favourite weapon without having to fight only against Lv 20 enemies.

I think that I'll wait for the answer by the Reb or the Devs, if we're gonna get nothing then I suppose I'll have to ask it on the Devstream so.

Gonna try to give as much effort as possible to get back to a decent state these old and forgotten weps(that I love SO much) :3

Amen to that

S'all good - just wishing to see these beasts back the way they were way back when

With patience we can keep this thread going long and strong!

How's about a hashtag to keep it going?

#bumpforscythes2015

-Phyrak

Yes, yes, and more yes. I mentioned this quite a long time ago in a massive wall of text I posted in this forum. I'd like to see better stances, if not touch ups on both stances we have already, and bigger, more realistic scythes. The combos we have right now feel pretty floaty and awkward, and the damage isn't really amazing.