Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Bringing The Old Problems Up: Daikyu

Artekkor

Sup people. With recent release  of... Spira, was it? i decided to bring my good old Daikyu from the darkness of my arsenal. Because they match each other so well! Anyway: in preparations for incoming multishot change, i tweaked my build around and then proceeded to play stuff.

And what i got was a lot of disappointment: Daikyu is useless. It wasn't the best bow before, but now, it's just...

Without auto-charge function that we previously had i lost a lot of my DPS because i often would fail to shoot releasing button 0,1 second faster than i should've. Ok, i would get behind that...

But then: i started doing some invasions. And just imagine how high my disappointment was when my Daikyu with Maxed Serration, and like 300% viral damage failed, on multiple occasions, to kill a level 20 Grineer Bombard. With a headshot!

Any other enemy would die instantly, but Bombards? Always been left with like 10% hp, except for occasions when i would headshot-crit them.

Status chance is not helping either... Even having 99% status chance gives me no benefits since it would instead proc something like impact, slash or puncture and not viral that i desire. In it's current stats status chance build only viable on high fire-rate weapons, and Daikyu is not one of them even with maxed fire rate achieved.

This is leads me to a terrifying conclusion: Daikyu, in it's current state, sucks dongs, especially when compared to ANY other bow. I'd say even MK1 paris would give better results than Daikyu.

It needs buffs, tweaks and MAYBE a new status chance system when achieving status chance higher than of 100% would lead to some awesome bonus effects (i remember Scott was talking about it on some very old devstream and we haven't heard about it ever since).

DE, please! Don't leave such an awesome weapon behind! Save it from the darkness of obsolete uselessness!

inb4 anecdotal evidence that Daikyu is anywhere near the power of the true crit bows

It's not. It's comparatively weak, mechanically stupid, and has no redeeming value.

And yet looks extremely awesome and fits my Rhino so well. I'm just sad that i simply can't do anything good with it :<

Even my potatoe'd spira performs way better than Daikyu. This is just sad for me.

if it at least did slash damage the high status chance would be useful

The proboem with status chance is: even when having 99% status chance it's still completely random which proc you will aply. Yes, slash damage as main would make it so much better. And yet it would have like 50% chance to proc something like puncture or impact, and both of those are not helping at all.

Would be nice if daikyu would deal one and one damage type only... Either puncture or slash. And nothing else. Otherwise: it just ruins a supposed status-chance builds completely by procing what you did not wanted to.

Critical damage is the name of the game for... any high level content really.

Sometimes procs get to shine, but in the end it's left to critical weaponry to actually finish anything off.

Yet we have Boltor Prime which eliminates everything with raw damage. Daikyu could do that too... If it's physical damage was like x2 or x3 higher than it is now.

Sup people. With recent release  of... Spira, was it? i decided to bring my good old Daikyu from the darkness of my arsenal. Because they match each other so well! Anyway: in preparations for incoming multishot change, i tweaked my build around and then proceeded to play stuff.

1st the current game is balanced around multishot (aside tfrom the fact that even with the changes you'd want to use it on the bows anyway) the multishot nerf will come with a whole overhaul of enemy scaling and removal(change, rework, whatever) of serration, your results are just to be expected

2nd you're running viral against a bombard it's normal to expect lower damage output, you should run corrosive+cold or radioactive+toxin against the grineer unless you're using 4xcp then viral+heat is the way to go

3rd yes the daikyu is the best of the low tier bows and needs a buff, no arguing that

I feel as though multishot, critical hits, and status chance are all rather unbalanced in that they favor high RoF weapons too much since they're based on chance and more rounds a second = more chances. Although at least in the case multishot and crits exceeding 100% is pretty much all you need to do to make it reliable. With status chance you also have to account for Physical damage types on most weapons and tend to have to sacrifice damage to make room for Event elemental mods. Seeing as the Devs are looking over the damage system again, maybe it's time to adjust some of these systems to revolve less around luck and more on player skill and reliability.

But I digress, for the time being they could at least make the Daikyu have one physical damage type, or even make it elemental. Not a permanent solution, but it would at least make the Daikyu a little bit more reliable for inflicting status effects the player actually wants.