Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Coherent Rant About Rng (And Few Other Things)

Seamur

Before I start ranting I just want to thank DE for making this game free to play and allowing us to ("eventually") obtain anything we want for free

-So my first impression on update 8 was hype
"omg so much new stuff"
-after miraculously joining few random void missions and getting few different drops
"awesome the drop rate is so good I'll soon get both latron prime and reaper prime !"
-we can get void keys from defense missions
"wow I wont have to spend my platinum on those !"
-after learning that frost prime parts will drop from void missions
"can't wait to get it"
-started crafting clan key
"cant wait to start working on my clan dojo! I bet my friends will be hyped about getting duel room!"
-when I learned about stalker dropping his weapon bp's
"oh my god I want those weapons ! good thing stalker shows up alot"
-and finally when I learned that forma can be obtained from alerts as well
"yay I'll definitely get tons of those if I carefully watch alerts"

and then RNG appeared and crushed everything

-new stuff is nearly impossible to get or requires huge platinum investment
-connectivity issues prevented me from joining other players, when tried to host void mission even my friends had multiple problems with connecting to my lobby (and other way around)
-countless hours of spamming defense missions yielded only 3 keys (for everyone so with 3 players we got 9 total) and recently dropped hellfire and heated charge in crazy rate (we had 6 or so in a row)
-after ~20 void missions of various types and difficulty I got (and I know MANY people had simmilar drops in much greater quantities)
5 latron prime bp's
0 latron prime receivers
3 latron prime barrels
4 latron prime stocks
3 reaper prime bp's
0 reaper prime blades
5 reaper prime handles
0 frost prime bp's
0 frost prime helmets
0 frost prime chassis
0 frost prime systems
-clan dojo requires ridiculous amounts of forma (as of right now me and my friends didnt get single one from daily reward or alerts)
-stalker showed up 3 times (we started our "daily session" with killing ALL bosses at least once, few bosses got more lucky and were killed multiple times and afterwards we were spamming random missions and defense for void keys) and obviously didnt drop any bp (I'm still jelly of that guy who claimed that he got all 3 bps at day of update on wiki)
-forma is mandatory if you want to start clan and latest alerts had in majority 2k credits and if it had "?" as reward it was almost always artifact (except that one vauban part)

RNG is good system, if all drop rates are fair
everyone who has simmilar drops as I did, knows that odds in warframe are NOT equal
sure "trying" to achieve something in game (be it rare drop or something else) is fun when you see some kind of progress made
personally I lose hype very slowly and I play games when most people consider them too repetitive or fun
but hell... after 4 days since update and I'm already starting to lose hype ?
its nice when you get void key as it's like getting lottery ticket, except just like in real life lotteries most of the time you lose, in warframe you are rewarded with another handle or stock...
and guild exclusive weapons... I bet ninja with rocket launcher is fun to play, if you dont mind joining 2k+ strangers just for that or chance to try out duels

honestly I can't wait to see if DE changes their free to play attitude like most f2p game developers after this update (which I believe made platinum sales skyrocket)
and obviously I can't wait to see future changes to game itself which I still find fun despite all dissappointment caused by RNG

Part of the issue is RNGception.

Want Prime gear? A small chance of Void key, then a small chance of getting the part you need. Even if it was 10% in both cases, the final chance is 1%.

Or Stalker gear. RNG if he appears, then more RNG if he drops something (and god help you if you need something specific.)

Part of the issue is RNGception.

Want Prime gear? A small chance of Void key, then a small chance of getting the part you need. Even if it was 10% in both cases, the final chance is 1%.

Or Stalker gear. RNG if he appears, then more RNG if he drops something (and god help you if you need something specific.)

that reminds me... some new weapons are really just reskin... what is point of skins then ? I mean why make brokk or manticore different weapon when it could easily be separate weapon considering they alter STATS? similarly why frost prime/excalibur prime are separate warframes when they easily could be just unlockable skins (polarities doesnt matter thanks to forma)

I like fact that 2 out of 3 stalker weapons are actual alternatives compared to simmilar weapons (maybe except hate being superior to reaper prime)

and stalker ? what stalker ? xD

I think you might actually be right, oddly enough. My clanmates have noticed anecdotally similar bias is the RNG. Though note that it's actually a pseudorandom number generator, and it's very possible that a programming mis-step has caused it to produce a distribution very different from true randomness.

But yeah, hellfire, every damn time, and similar distribution of the parts. We haven't seen a latron prime receiver either, though we're awash with the other pieces. Given that we were independent up until I posted here, I'd say there might be something to this perceived non-randomness, rather than mere group thinking and confirmation bias.

Edited by Tvol

What pumpkin? :P

Honestly, the decision for skins changing stats has irked some other players, one eve made a huge thread about it. But I've never found it an issue since the changes are minor, and they're no harder to get (infuriatingly hard) than any other ? ALert weapon. They just happen to be skin instead of weapon.

I agree with several if not all of the OPs points, but atm i think what is getting under my skin is stalker, i mean i think i would prefer him to be more common, i do not know how his drop rates are, but i personally would prefer if he showed more often and have a bit more rare drop rate than not showing at all and having a what can possibly be a good drop rate.

Before I start ranting I just want to thank DE for making this game free to play and allowing us to ("eventually") obtain anything we want for free

-So my first impression on update 8 was hype

"omg so much new stuff"

-after miraculously joining few random void missions and getting few different drops

"awesome the drop rate is so good I'll soon get both latron prime and reaper prime !"

-we can get void keys from defense missions

"wow I wont have to spend my platinum on those !"

-after learning that frost prime parts will drop from void missions

"can't wait to get it"

-started crafting clan key

"cant wait to start working on my clan dojo! I bet my friends will be hyped about getting duel room!"

-when I learned about stalker dropping his weapon bp's

"oh my god I want those weapons ! good thing stalker shows up alot"

-and finally when I learned that forma can be obtained from alerts as well

"yay I'll definitely get tons of those if I carefully watch alerts"

and then RNG appeared and crushed everything

-new stuff is nearly impossible to get or requires huge platinum investment I've found every single void item (aside from receiver, damnit!) and I've spent not plat.

-connectivity issues prevented me from joining other players, when tried to host void mission even my friends had multiple problems with connecting to my lobby (and other way around) This has happened to me maybe once.

-countless hours of spamming defense missions yielded only 3 keys (for everyone so with 3 players we got 9 total) and recently dropped hellfire and heated charge in crazy rate (we had 6 or so in a row) The drop rate on keys is not that low, I've gotten many. Run with a group and cycle your keys.

-after ~20 void missions of various types and difficulty I got (and I know MANY people had simmilar drops in much greater quantities)

5 latron prime bp's

0 latron prime receivers

3 latron prime barrels

4 latron prime stocks

3 reaper prime bp's

0 reaper prime blades

5 reaper prime handles

0 frost prime bp's

0 frost prime helmets

0 frost prime chassis

0 frost prime systems

-clan dojo requires ridiculous amounts of forma (as of right now me and my friends didnt get single one from daily reward or alerts) It's not as bad as it seems; I have  4 forma BP's and again, spent no plat.

-stalker showed up 3 times (we started our "daily session" with killing ALL bosses at least once, few bosses got more lucky and were killed multiple times and afterwards we were spamming random missions and defense for void keys) and obviously didnt drop any bp (I'm still jelly of that guy who claimed that he got all 3 bps at day of update on wiki) That's RNG for ya

-forma is mandatory if you want to start clan and latest alerts had in majority 2k credits and if it had "?" as reward it was almost always artifact (except that one vauban part) Again, not as bad as it seems.

RNG is good system, if all drop rates are fair

everyone who has simmilar drops as I did, knows that odds in warframe are NOT equal

sure "trying" to achieve something in game (be it rare drop or something else) is fun when you see some kind of progress made

personally I lose hype very slowly and I play games when most people consider them too repetitive or fun

but hell... after 4 days since update and I'm already starting to lose hype ?

its nice when you get void key as it's like getting lottery ticket, except just like in real life lotteries most of the time you lose, in warframe you are rewarded with another handle or stock...

and guild exclusive weapons... I bet ninja with rocket launcher is fun to play, if you dont mind joining 2k+ strangers just for that or chance to try out duels

honestly I can't wait to see if DE changes their free to play attitude like most f2p game developers after this update (which I believe made platinum sales skyrocket)

and obviously I can't wait to see future changes to game itself which I still find fun despite all dissappointment caused by RNG

RNG is the way it is because as soon as you get what you want you stop doing what you're doing. You want to find the Stalker (whoever that guy is) so he gives you weapon blueprints. Once you have all 3 (or whatever ones you want) you will never want to see him again. Once you get the Latron Prime, Reaper Prime, and Frost Prime the Void loses a fair bit of its draw (at least until we have a way to unload all the stocks/handles). The way they've handled Mods and resources is much better, since they have value for a very long time.

RNG is the way it is because as soon as you get what you want you stop doing what you're doing. You want to find the Stalker (whoever that guy is) so he gives you weapon blueprints. Once you have all 3 (or whatever ones you want) you will never want to see him again. Once you get the Latron Prime, Reaper Prime, and Frost Prime the Void loses a fair bit of its draw (at least until we have a way to unload all the stocks/handles). The way they've handled Mods and resources is much better, since they have value for a very long time.

except its broken, if rng worked properly it wouldnt be frustrating to even "try" farming void

Void is pretty much the end game for now in this update. Obviously the best items from those are very difficult to obtain.

best items ? did you even see stats of reaper/latron prime ? they are barely alternatives, just like frost prime is now thanks to forma