Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hek Shooting Sound

Anneliese.Clausewitz

I sincerely want to hear dev's thought pattern, that lead to decision to change Hek's sound. It's sound wasn't just ok and in no need for changes. Hek was praised for its magical BOOM, and it was practically its trademark. Many people kept using it during its dark pre-buff days just because of the sound.

When i first hear the new sound of the Hek i honesly believed it was a mistake, some kind of Bug, something completely unnintentinal. 

I refused to believe that DE actually change the Hek sound to.... that. 

Now i know this was in fact intentional and its just aweful. Hek was my go-to primary, since the sound change, i havent use the Hek, it absolutely ruined the gun for me, after expending 5 forma on the regular Hek and another 5 forma on the syndicate version. 

Edited by Haldos
Removed vulgarity.

Who seriously approved this? Did they listen to it through a tin can whilst driving their car? Not only does it not match the hek's power and knockback, but it sounds like it has clipping, as if a sound were too loud for the microphone. This is not something anyone should ever be hearing. It's absolutely terrible. If we can choose skins for our guns, why not sounds? I would change this one back in a heartbeat. The hek/vek is - or was - one of my favourite guns, and now I find myself avoiding using it.

I can just confirm all the complaints above, the old Hek's mighty pumpgun sound was way better than the new suppressed one.

Hopefully it will get its old sound back with the next hotfix.

I forgot to mention that one of my clan mates still has the old Hek sound although he already patched the game,

how is that even possible?

Edited by Poeps

I don't have any problems with the sound team reworking gun-sounds, just PLEASE make us able to choose between sounds. Getting an opportunity to customize our weapons even further than looks would be an awesome addition to the game! 

That said; The Prisma Grakata's new sound was an utter failure as well, why would you ever even consider tampering with a gun as iconic as the Hek?! Not only is the gun one of the oldest and most loved, the sound is one of (if not THE) meatiest in the game. Some people like the guns making futuristic sounds, while some of us prefer guns sounding like guns. Wet fart just doesn't say; 'I'm gonna rip you to shreds' like the old sound did.

Sometimes I wonder what you guys are even doing. Experimenting without any backup plans is just plain stupid.  

Just one question, what are the things at the end of the hek, are those supposed to be suppressors? Might explained why they made the new sound that way.

If that's the case, remove suppressors, give sound back.

Just one question, what are the things at the end of the hek, are those supposed to be suppressors? Might explained why they made the new sound that way.

They are not suppressors, but even if they are, that doesnt justify the wet fart sound. 

Thanks everybody for your feedback, it's great to know that you guys and gals care as much as you do (and we do!) about the sounds in Warframe.

As most of you already know, over the past year or so we have been auditing old weapon sounds with the intention of bringing them in-line with our current engine tech.  This means that most old weapons (pre 2013) were not sounding consistent with new weapons that we are currently making.  This includes the reverb characteristics (how the gun sounds in different environments), volume balancing (so each weapon is in line with others), and variations in the sound (so it doesn't sound like 1 sample being played over and over again with each shot).

So this brings us to the Hek.  

We knew that the community really liked the sound of this gun when we started to revamp it.  So that is why the "revamped" sound is very similar to the old sound, but now it has all the benefits of other, newer weapons as well (the benefits I mentioned above, in the second paragraph).  We actually are calling it "revamped", instead of "new", because the revamped version was made from the components of the original version (as opposed to starting over).

We never go into improving old sounds in the game with the idea of changing their fundamental characteristics... if we are going to improve on something we don't release it unless we are 100% happy with it.  The sound team truly believes the revised sound of the Hek is an improvement over the old one, while still maintaining the original's feel.

Please give it a chance.  Play in different tilesets, against different AI, and try to maintain an objective point of view over a couple of weeks.  We truly believe the change was for the better.  All we ask is for you to give it a try for a while.

Thanks again for your comments, good and bad.  We truly appreciate your passion for the game and for the sound design.

I don't know why all the hate for the new sound, it sounds really good.... hell, in MY OPINION it even sounds better than the old sound. The old one had a lot of "kick" to it, but in this one you can "feel" the power behind the shot. It's not like the Prisma Grakata change, where the sound was absolutely horrible (no offense to the sound team, you do a great job, but I kept calling it a BB gun until it got reverted). People are too afraid of change, I think that's the only problem with it.