Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hek Shooting Sound

Anneliese.Clausewitz

Well...i played with this new "sound" for 2 weeks & it is still bad. Now DE can stick to their decision of not changing it back to the original by ignoring the many requests of players as we can see here on the forums OR they can change it back. I will live with the new sound but i will never truly feel happy about it & so will the other players here.But reverting it to the original will actually show that you do care about the voice of the community. Please do it DE.

Thanks & regards
A faithful Warframe player. 

Edited by AbhijitSM

I love how DE hasn't responded yet. Shows they really care about our opinions on the matter, and that they are working so diligently to apply the new technical changes to the old sound; bringing back the feel of the old sound while improving upon it...

Seriously, why isn't this changed back yet? Is this going to be like the old Status mods that never got buffed, despite how many people agreed that they should? Now the Hek sounds less unique and (to most players out of those who care about the sound of the Hek one way or another) it doesn't fit the weapon's function anymore. It's even worse than the reload sound change a long-! time ago, and possibly the the Braton Vandal firing sound change.

If some people really like the current sound and DE don't want to give them the shaft, they could just add an option in the appearance section that allows toggling between new and old firing/reloading sounds.

Edited by Vougue

Well I did come here to make my own post on this, but I see there's already tons of posts complaining about the Hek's new sound FX.

Good, I HOPE YOU'RE LISTENING DE. YOU'RE SOUND DEPARTMENT IS SUCKING AT THE MOMENT.

move the new one to tigris and put back the old one on Hek

No, that's a terrible idea. The Tigris sounds perfect right now.

at this point, my only remaining guesses are:

- users which are not using self powered audio equipment that are running them off of integrated Audio Chipsets - meaning said audio equipment may not have enough power.

if you're using a surround sound system, it has it's own power so that should be fine. however, if you're using headphones of some sort, please check the input resistance of the cans, and if it's quite high, an integrated Audio Chipset can't handle the amount of power that it's trying to draw. you'll need a Sound Card of some sort (or a DAC but those are much more expensive) to make sure your audio equipment is receiving enough power.

- have Sound Reverb on/off. try it the other way from the way you have it.

So we shall complain again in a couple of weeks just to give the new sound a chance although it sounds less awesome to so many people?

I think nobody will bring up that effort just for this little chance the original sound will ever come back.

The new sound really isn't that bad like many people say but it just isn't as awesome as the original one.

Please, don't try to accustom the players to the new sound by giving it time and don't wait too long to bring back it's original sound or let the players choose the gunsound themselves.

all that he asked of you is for you to use it for a while so that you develop an actual opinion instead of a knee jerk reaction.

That's not what the Hek (or any gun) is supposed to sound like.

(fun fact, real guns sound a lot less impressive than Vidjya Game guns.)

Kraken had sounded like hitting a pillar of iron by a hammer.

It was one of my favorite sound.

Kraken's sound hasn't ever changed, though. it's still the same one.

Edited by taiiat

at this point, my only remaining guesses are:

- users which are not using self powered audio equipment that are running them off of integrated Audio Chipsets - meaning said audio equipment may not have enough power.

if you're using a surround sound system, it has it's own power so that should be fine. however, if you're using headphones of some sort, please check the input resistance of the cans, and if it's quite high, an integrated Audio Chipset can't handle the amount of power that it's trying to draw. you'll need a Sound Card of some sort (or a DAC but those are much more expensive) to make sure your audio equipment is receiving enough power.

- have Sound Reverb on/off. try it the other way from the way you have it.

all that he asked of you is for you to use it for a while so that you develop an actual opinion instead of a knee jerk reaction.

(fun fact, real guns sound a lot less impressive than Vidjya Game guns.)

Kraken's sound hasn't ever changed, though. it's still the same one.

True for most guns but, as i mentioned in another post, try forgetting to put your hearing protection back on and then fire a 12gauge shotgun.  It feels like the Hek sounded.  An f-ing painful kaboom that feels like you just got kicked in the head from four different directions at once. 

For the most part though game guns shouldn't sound real unless you enjoy firecracker simulators.  

Also mentioned before, the new Hek sound has bass but it is so low it is more of a wooof and it too low of a frequency to communicate impact.  Like the 50Hz-ish range of an 808 kick, whoooooooom whooooomm, versus the punchy sound of an actual bass drum (100-170hz or there abouts).    (Hmm, I guess I should analyze both sounds and see...)

Some headphones are probably not picking up the new low low sound but people with good sound systems still are not getting much impact like they used to because you don't get that from sub-bass.  It more or less translates as fatness not necessarily strength.

TLDR: even on a good system the new sound is lacking in impact and fun.

EDIT: typos,  probably missed some more, oh well.

Edited by Don_T_Shoot

Except that we heard the old Hek (and perhaps the old Gorgon) on the exact same sound hardware. And it sounded massively better than it does now.

No, the problem is in software. The sound files, in particular.

I only just got my Vaykor Hek recently and was seriously surprised at how pathetic it sounded. I remember trying out the normal Hek after its syndicate mod came out and although the weapon itself was mediocre (this is pre-shotgun buff), the sound was still beautiful. Fast forward to today and I'm now firing a weapon with a silencer. It's not satisfying to use.

DE: how about you change your tack here. All these new sound effects you're making should only play when you've got suppress, hush or hushed invisibility slotted, or you're under the effect of Banshee's silence. That way they'd actually be appropriate.

Edited by DoomFruit

No, the problem is in software. The sound files, in particular.

it's possible, but hardware seems to clearly be a problem here, with users reporting very, very different results from the same source data.

like i suggested with the very next line after that in the post, Sound Reverb will probably make a difference, trying it both ways can give some more insight as to what's different between everyone.

not much is going to be achieved if one side's answer is going to be 'wah this is bad', without trying to help figure out why everyone doesn't universally feel that way.

which the most likely culprit of that is that some are hearing something different than some others.

identifying why this is, will help sounds be better in the future.

I'm here for the same thing about HEK: he like a ship weapon.

Who don't dream to this powerfull sound followed to this recoil?

He give a feel to be powerfull , unbreakable like Concilor Vay hek (greener form like Earth boss)

I want my too a come back to old HEK concept : recoil movement and sound.

Edited by PervertionTotal

Just tested it, haven't played with this shotgun for a while ....

Well, i didn't like it. At all.

Everytime i shot with it, it was like shooting in World of Tanks : Half of the fun, at least. And the recoil was simply acceptable, if u dont want recoil you dont take a massive quadrupled barrel heavy shotgun.

It feels most flopy now, the feeling is WAY less delicious than it used to be. Pitty.

I agree, its just cosmetic, i don't intend to make a drama. But It's really too bad.

Wondering where this genius idea came from.

Edited by Stonehenge

I explained why, but it got buried a few pages back.

Hek, the gun, is not reverberating off of the walls when fired making it sound "hollow". Hek's shot, the pellets, is reverberating. Hek hasn't lost any sound, but half of it is only heard if you hit a wall or target within 5 meters or so.

Sound team did it's job correctly, but the sound has been split up so that it sounds off. 

Hek, the gun, is not reverberating off of the walls when fired making it sound "hollow". Hek's shot, the pellets, is reverberating. Hek hasn't lost any sound, but half of it is only heard if you hit a wall or target within 5 meters or so.

Sound team did it's job correctly, but the sound has been split up so that it sounds off. 

That's interesting. Thanks for explaining again.

I don't agree. If you shoot the Hek in a very small room against the wall or a large room it still doesn't have near the impact or feel of the original. The new in-game dynamic reverb is not making up for the gutted sound file we have now for the Hek. 

Te original Hek sound had the reverb "baked in" but so what?  It sounded incredible.  Now it doesn't sound nearly as good and the new reverb isn't making up for it no matter what environment you shoot the Hek in.