Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hek Shooting Sound

Anneliese.Clausewitz

Dear George,

I've been using the Vaykor Hek as my main for a long time and i have still been using it after the sound change.

I have to say that I vastly prefer the old sound of the hek and vaykor hek. And the numerous threads are a testament to the players that have used the hek long enough to make an immediate and impassioned plea for you to revert the change.

We can tell the difference between the old and new sound. The current sound is extremely weak and soft compared to the magical boom of the previous sound.

Please change it back. It is extremely distressing to have the voice of my favourite weapon neutered and makes me want to go back to the Boltor prime again.

There was nothing wrong with the sound of the hek in the first place.

Thank you.

This a great response and I fully support this poster's sentiments.   In fact, I'm glad someone made a well worded reply that sums up my filtered feelings.

Because my actual honest reaction is that the new sound @(*()$ sucks S#&$.  I @(*()$ hate it.  Please don't destroy good things in the game like this.  It just pisses people the F*** off. 

Edited by Don_T_Shoot

Seems like people with good headphones are getting much more from this change than those who can't afford gaming heads or plain simply find them uncomfortable. I read someone claiming his/her 200$ boom-boxes weren't doing the trick for new sound. That's hefty money out of first world market. Old Hek sounded good on anything. My over three years old laptop with no external sound devices? Sounded manly as Hek (cuz you can't compare Hek with anything but Hek (and its grudging rival Tigris)). So in conclusion...

Old Hek: people's Hek.

New Hek for the snobs.

I'm using (somewhat) expensive headphones as well, still sounds like wet fart to me. 

@DE_George

Will you be "fixing" the sounds for other weapons? I need a pistol I like using to sound awful so I can use it with my Hek (while listening to music). I have the Mara Detron (which is paired with my Latron P), but using two shotguns isn't really fun. 

PS. Please PLEASE don't ruin the Lex :( 

After some testing: The new (Vaykor) Hek sound and the Eris tileset absolutely don't play together nicely. While it sounds almost as good as the old one e.g. in the invasion tileset, it's dull and muffled in the Eris tileset.

Although I have to agree that it's lacking the "oomph" that was the old Hek's signature.

I don't know what you mean by "improvement", but yes, technically, new Hek sound is more detailed, definitely an inprovement if this is what you mean.

But for us, consumers, we don't care much about it.

What we need is a sound that fit the strength of Hek,

it should sound strong, it should make everyone heard it trembles in fear. The previous sound perfectly capture this feeling.

George, I sincerely ask you to hear it again, not as a professional sound maker, but as a casual gamer. Does this sound feel like it is shot by a shotgun? Does this sound feel like the sound of death? Or does this sound like a toy gun?

I think the problem is you went too much into the detail and forgot what's important: its feel.

The same happened to Braton, Gorgon. I'm still sad that you completely ruin my favorite part of those guns, to the point that I no longer use them.

I have been bringing my vaykor hek throughout the starchart, void, and various tile sets and i have to say that the new sound is unbearable.

It's too muffled... too weak... too wet... and doesn't inspire fear and satisfaction like the previous sound.

This is coming from someone who have been using the vay hek exclusively pre sound change, and not a player that just picked it up out of curiosity to see what the issue is about.

I kindly request the sound change to be reverted please.

Edited by --Q--Ascended-Seraphim

Seems like people with good headphones are getting much more from this change than those who can't afford gaming heads or plain simply find them uncomfortable. I read someone claiming his/her 200$ boom-boxes weren't doing the trick for new sound. That's hefty money out of first world market. Old Hek sounded good on anything. My over three years old laptop with no external sound devices? Sounded manly as Hek (cuz you can't compare Hek with anything but Hek (and its grudging rival Tigris)). So in conclusion...

Old Hek: people's Hek.

New Hek for the snobs.

Those people that say that it sound powerfull on his nice headphones either lie or are deafth. 

Writing this after playing Hek with a 200$ headphones on my ears. 

Now to say something constructive: After Update 17 and shotgun buffs i used exclusively Hek, Tigris, and then later the syndicate versions. After reading the post by the DEV i said: ok, lets give it a try. And i tried corpus, greener, infested and void tilesets. Open areas and closed rooms. I just confirm what i already said: the sound is like a wet fart. To be more precise: it needs to be louder, with a lower pitch and maybe, and only maybe, it will start sounding like an actual, powerfull shotgun. 

Edited by Pakon3ds

I don't know if anyone remembers  the look and sound of original Unreal Tournament?  Dark, gritty, distorted as hell. And fit the game to a T.  I hadn't realized how important the look and sound of UT was to the actual gameplay until UT 2004 or whatever it was came out.   The sounds were high resolution, clean, precise.  The graphics light, airey, much higher resolution and.... the experience was lost.  Totally disappointing. 

The dark distorted original  gave a visceral experience that hit you in the gut. People like noise, distortion, dynamically compressed Kaboom.  Crisp, clean, detailed bang doesn't cut it.

Edited by Don_T_Shoot

I tried to like the new sound, but i have one major problem with it.

It sounds like the weapon is clogged with water due to the extremely bassy sound. It doesn't feel like much of a puncture based weapon now, and instead sounds like an impact or explosive based weapon. When I think of the Hek shooting, I imagine a lot of pointy, aerodynamic bullets thrusting into my target. So it sounding like it's firing bullets that tumble around in the air, doesn't seem to fit the weapon well to me. Considring it's a higher accuracy shotgun, having a shot sound like it would have tumbling rounds is rather odd too. I think the sound would fit something like the Brakk way better.

Edited by Vougue

Please give it a chance.  Play in different tilesets, against different AI, and try to maintain an objective point of view over a couple of weeks.  We truly believe the change was for the better.  All we ask is for you to give it a try for a while.

Thanks again for your comments, good and bad.  We truly appreciate your passion for the game and for the sound design.

George, playing in different environments or against other AIs does not change the fact that the people who loved the original sound wouldn't notice this change nor would it give the same feeling as the old sound. What you are asking for is for people to "get used" to this new sound and forget it after everyone's bored of pleading for the revert back to the old sound. I understand you are trying to make progress, but we do not want a step back either from the old powerful sound. The new one definitely sounds more suppressed.

My feelings to the new sound will never change even after I "get used to it". Either give it more power into the sound or please just give me an option to use the old sound. I hate the current toy gun sound.

I don't know why some people think this sounds better. It sounds like a loaded nappy hitting the ground.

Are there sound settings or card chipset differences that may explain why people appear to be experiencing totally different sounds? I can't understand why some love it and some like me hate it otherwise.

DE George,

Sorry but the new one is just not in line with the weapon.

The Hek is a STRONG and ACCURATE weapon (snip weapon), so it need "clear", "powerfull", "short" and "badass" sound like the old.

Now the sound seems very inaccurate and seems meh.

Why the Hek change the most appreciate sound of weapon in the game ?

Old was REALLY badass, it was part of the Hek.

The old was " BOOM"

The new one is "BOrhaRhrgh", too much satured.

Please revert back the old sound.

Edited by Alpha56

DE has an obsession with ruining weapon sounds, which is especially terrible to people like me who "feel" the weapons. In video games, weapons are an extension of your senses, with visual and audio feedback as you mouse the mouse and push a button. Unfortunately, DE for the most part has a complete disconnect between how a gun looks and moves, to how the gun sounds and the effect of the weapon. 

The hek was a great shotgun, it sounded exactly how it preformed. Then they reduced the visual kickback of the gun, making it feel less powerful. Now, they ruined the sound as well so its one of the best shotguns in the game, but dosn't look or sound like it. this is terrible. 

http://www.gamesradar.com/killing-feels-why-sensation-using-game-weapon-more-important-its-effect/

I have a pretty expensive 5.1 surround system with a 500 watt subwoofer and, honestly, the hek sounds fine but it definitely sounds weaker than before the change.

This thing just needs to be louder, more outrangous, more like "what stealth?".

Similar to the high lord claymore from mass effect 3: if someone used that shotgun, you knew someone used that shotgun cause you could hear its dragon-like roar from anywhere.

The previous hek sound was like close to that, and now while it seems like the sound has become more "focussed", it also seems to have lost that which made you imagine your tenno laughing maniacally every time they pull the trigger.

There is no need to revert IMO, just make it sound more like the untamed grineer beast king it alludes to be.

Thanks everybody for your feedback, it's great to know that you guys and gals care as much as you do (and we do!) about the sounds in Warframe.

As most of you already know, over the past year or so we have been auditing old weapon sounds with the intention of bringing them in-line with our current engine tech.  This means that most old weapons (pre 2013) were not sounding consistent with new weapons that we are currently making.  This includes the reverb characteristics (how the gun sounds in different environments), volume balancing (so each weapon is in line with others), and variations in the sound (so it doesn't sound like 1 sample being played over and over again with each shot).

So this brings us to the Hek.  

We knew that the community really liked the sound of this gun when we started to revamp it.  So that is why the "revamped" sound is very similar to the old sound, but now it has all the benefits of other, newer weapons as well (the benefits I mentioned above, in the second paragraph).  We actually are calling it "revamped", instead of "new", because the revamped version was made from the components of the original version (as opposed to starting over).

We never go into improving old sounds in the game with the idea of changing their fundamental characteristics... if we are going to improve on something we don't release it unless we are 100% happy with it.  The sound team truly believes the revised sound of the Hek is an improvement over the old one, while still maintaining the original's feel.

Please give it a chance.  Play in different tilesets, against different AI, and try to maintain an objective point of view over a couple of weeks.  We truly believe the change was for the better.  All we ask is for you to give it a try for a while.

Thanks again for your comments, good and bad.  We truly appreciate your passion for the game and for the sound design.

No offence but the new Hek sound is terrible (FYI I play on good speakers).

The sound is more like some compressed air cannon, firing something from a hollow tube, akin to the sounds of tennis ball serving machines or baseball pitching machines.  In essence a compressed air cannon.

The old sound was essentially perfect.  It had weight, impact, and 'boom' so it felt like it would kick as the Hek does.  No amount of interaction with the environment (that for the most part will be lost in the cacophony of sounds from enemies and allies anyway) will actually compensate for that feel.  It is a gun we expect to 'echo off the hills' so to speak anyway, and it certainly doesn't echo much at all.

Less is often sometimes better.

We were also asked to get used to the new UI and give it time, however that didn't stop it being less efficient and still more cumbersome than its predecessor was.  Much like a pressurised air gun sound wont sound like a contained boom, just because we get used to it.

All that said we do appreciate the effort you put in, keep up the good work.  We will tell you when you miss the mark though.

Edited by Loswaith

Tried it pretty much everywhere since i thought my speakers were dying on me or something at first... then i looked at some older footage and for sure the sound got changed and after that i found this topic.

The hek sound lost all of it's oomph, it just sounds flat now, and a little buzzy at the end, really jarring.

I didn't like the revamped sound of hek in ANY tileset and i am probably just gonna move on to another gun if it stays like it currently is (i can't help but crigne every time it shoots, that can't be healthy :P)

Tried it pretty much everywhere since i thought my speakers were dying on me or something at first... then i looked at some older footage and for sure the sound got changed and after that i found this topic.

I thought the same thing, it really sounds like it's about to blow out the speakers with how slightly buzzy and horrendously muffled it sounds.

DE , could you please ask next time If we want new sound effects?

It's getting a little irritating that you're changing a fundamental part of the game for some old players.

I remember days where Braton sounded like Nailgun.

I remember days where you tweaked Excalibur sounds (It has more depth now)

I remember when you changed Soma. Soma is never the same now.

And now Hek, my lately favorite weapon. 

DE please.... I want some nostalgia back! Give us an option to at least get the old sfx, that some players remember (especially old level up sfx).