Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hek Shooting Sound

Anneliese.Clausewitz

2 minutes ago, [DE]George said:

What the Hek?!

So you all feel very strongly about this I guess? ;)

As I mentioned in a previous post a number of pages back, a little while ago we changed the way we play back weapon sounds in the game.  The Hek was a legacy weapon that we thought would fit better with a fresh take on the original sound... we truly did want to keep the original intent of the weapon while bringing it up to par with the newer weapon sounds and also with the new weapon playback system.  We really feel that the new sound better fits the weapon and we stand by that.

But...

At the end of the day we want you to be happy with the Hek and it is sad to see so many of you shelving the weapon because you didn't like the new sound direction.  Rest assured that we do read every forum post and we do care how you feel about the sound in the game.  The fact that so many of you care this much about the sound is great, actually.

So...

The next hotfix will have the original sound put back on the weapon, and we made it work with the new weapon sound tech.

[DE]George.

Thanks a lot George :D

Thank you. Both for 'reverting' the sound, and for doing so despite thinking that the new one fits better.

While I have gotten used to the new sound (so 'new hat' isn't an issue), it just doesn't have the oomph of the old one.

It's not bad, it's just... idk, shallow. Lacks the 'throat' of the old sound; it's like all the 'boom' is front-ended, if any of that makes sense?

Edited by Chroia

What the hell?

No, I will not use 'Hek' instead beacuse this is a terrible choice!

Many of us, including myself really, really liked the new sound and just because we wern't as vocal as the complainers (a common WF issue) you change it back without a choice for the people who liked the work you put into a new sfx? Come on... Guess what? I'll be selving this 'legacy weapon' now.

I'll extend an olive branch to the people who fought to have it changed back and provide a way for you DE to make some plat... Let us buy sound effects for guns!!! This has been proposed more often than most think and would make some major plat sales. Who doesn't want the original Gorgon sound back, or for your Prisma variant? Or the old Viper sound... I could go on.

DE, give the option next time you do this without warning, OR make some plat sales and sell the sounds in the market.

legacy weapon sounds (as in legacy color palettes) is what needs to be done next, some of us liked the new one and I respect that, but others such as myself didnt, so why not add this option? or even make it a toggle button in arsenal on each weapon that got reworked like visible when holstered one, because I expect more reworks to come, and some of them will not please everyone, it just wont end, but u CAN please them all here...

Just now, Poeps said:

I am personally a fan of the original sound but I see many people became used to the new sound.

So I suggest using the original sound on the Hek and the new sound on the Vaykor Hek so everybody should be happy.

no way, vakyor hek is arguably an upgrade, or even a sidegrade (one which I prefer over the vanilla) so lets not go there pls, no one is gonna keep a weapon for its sound, they`ll just complain again, and I dont blame them, hell, I`ll be there too

The new sounds for the Hek were objectively better, because they sounded that much more like an explosion. The old Hek sound, which is now back, sounds like a snare drum with too much reverb.

Please explain why this reversion was necessary.

26 minutes ago, Aeriax said:

The new sounds for the Hek were objectively better, because they sounded that much more like an explosion. The old Hek sound, which is now back, sounds like a snare drum with too much reverb.

Please explain why this reversion was necessary.

I think you need to re-read the dictionary definition of objectively. Because this is very subjective. To me, the new sound was like a wet towel being thrown against a wall.

That said, since the supporters of the new sound have now shown up, and the argument is back and raging, how about a poll? Run by DE, .wav sounds embedded, see which is preferred by the player base?

If this turns into a crapstorm now they're never gonna listen to us again and that's no good for anyone.

Edited by ACorpse

and.... again and again, this is why being able to choose between these sounds (as they are purely Cosmetic) is the right choice...
you can even sell extra sounds then.

because when it's purely Cosmetic like that, there's really not much reason to not allow people to choose what they want.
same reason why there's bunches of Scarves and s... - because you want to have enough options so everyone finds something they want to buy.

i'm mostly nonplussed about it(preferred the more detailed "Cannon" sound but "new old" doesn't sound bad anymore), but the 'new old' sound, something is strange to it. it sounds distant, rather than in my own hands. whether it's a big room or small one, that seems to retain.

has the extra details from newer sound tech though, so no direct perceived quality loss. though honestly the initial from the shot could have more detail in it, rather than just a glorified 'bang!'.
you could probably achieve that just by running the early part of the sound through a filter to slightly change the pitch up&down during it.
or creating a very slight distortion effect, as that would sound very similar to bits of unspent power and Et Cetera 'dirtying' the sound from the gun.

2 hours ago, IamHypernova said:

Could we also do something about the Twin Vipers sound change? I've also shelved that weapon for this reason. They used to sound like the most awesome laser pistols like BLRBLRBLRLBRLB. Man. Miss that.

Thanks to how it looks and sounds like, I'm convinced that the Vipers are basically staple guns...if only i can use em to staple enemies into walls or each other. XD

Sound packs as purchaseables would be cool. Gives the sound artists something to work on during slower times between content, and ends this quibbling.

That said, I dread the inevitable comedy options.

Spoiler

9rhLpu0.gif

Edited by ACorpse

10 hours ago, [DE]George said:

What the Hek?!

So you all feel very strongly about this I guess? ;)

As I mentioned in a previous post a number of pages back, a little while ago we changed the way we play back weapon sounds in the game.  The Hek was a legacy weapon that we thought would fit better with a fresh take on the original sound... we truly did want to keep the original intent of the weapon while bringing it up to par with the newer weapon sounds and also with the new weapon playback system.  We really feel that the new sound better fits the weapon and we stand by that.

But...

At the end of the day we want you to be happy with the Hek and it is sad to see so many of you shelving the weapon because you didn't like the new sound direction.  Rest assured that we do read every forum post and we do care how you feel about the sound in the game.  The fact that so many of you care this much about the sound is great, actually.

So...

The next hotfix will have the original sound put back on the weapon, and we made it work with the new weapon sound tech.

[DE]George.

Nice.

soooooooooooo, when can we have the old Braton Vandal SE back?

4 hours ago, IamHypernova said:

Could we also do something about the Twin Vipers sound change? I've also shelved that weapon for this reason. They used to sound like the most awesome laser pistols like BLRBLRBLRLBRLB. Man. Miss that.

I messaged George about this earlier today because I almost miss the *bbbBBBBRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTT* sound of the Viper series, however currently there are no plans to change or revert the sound on the Vipers. There were no plans to change the Hek, however, but due to the community's vocal opinion on the sound it was changed. I would suggest we make a thread for weapons we would like the sound updated/reverted/changed on so that DE can know what the majority of people want and can plan for it.

And as always, a quality post from Taiiat above. I suggest everyone read it if they haven't already.

Edited by TheStag

Wow!  Thank you George!   Loving having the old Hek back.  Soooo much fun to use again!    

I appreciate you taking our incessant whining so well!

and for the fans of the recently replaced sound, well sorry but...

Spoiler

giphy.gif

Edited by Don_T_Shoot
added spoiler tag

Thanks George, i like that you're always responding personally to our feedback. 

12 hours ago, [DE]George said:

We really feel that the new sound better fits the weapon and we stand by that.

i can understand why you'd think new sound was a better fit. To be honest I got used to it, but i went on a mission after the hotfix and it felt more powerful. Sounds can make you feel powerful, regardless of the weapon stats/mods. Does it sound good / fits the weapon more is not enough, it should make the player feels powerful, give him a satisfying grin.

Anyway, you won't be able to please everyone with every change you make and you're doing a great job overall bringing more life to this game, keep up the good work.