Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Waframe Concept: Orion

Cursor

Hey, so making up your own Warframe seemed fun, so I decided to try it out.

ORION

Warframe that specializes in defense, disruption, and close-quarters combat.

I really liked the idea of a frame that had a sort of energy shield to use, and actually many people have suggested frame concepts that do just that.  However, most of the time when I see ideas like this, the shield would inhibit combat abilities, like restricting you to using your secondary, and that didn't seem to be within the design logic of the game.  So this is what I whipped up, which I think gets the idea of a shield-carrying frame across without sacrificing freedom in gameplay.  For the ability visuals, I wanted a motif of glowy nebulous cloud thing with little lights flying around (tiny little stars, I WONDER WHY HURR HURR).

STATS

Health: 100 (300 at level 30)

Power: 100 (150 at level 30)

Armor: 50

Shields: 150 (450 at level 30)

Shield Recharge: 22.5

Sprint Speed: x1.0

Polarities: x1 17px-D.png, x1 19px-Bar.png

ABILITIES

Bash

Cost: 25

Strike nearby foes to the ground with a tremendous force.

Straightforward, you hit things nearby with a wall of energy.  Essentially, it's the Grineer Shield Lancer's bash, but damaging and knocking down all enemies in front of you within relative melee range.

Guardian Array

Cost: 50

Create a protective field of energy, protecting Orion and his allies.

This was my solution to the whole 'shield being a shield' problem.  This would be a cloud of energy that follows the frame, reducing all incoming damage by a large percentage, but also intercepting enemy fire within the area.  Basically, a mobile Electric Shield that blocks shots, but doesn't provide total damage immunity to the frame using it.  (Edit: forgot to mention, the shield would only block shots coming from the front)

Constellation

Cost:75

Clear the area nearby and form an impassible barrier, providing temporary shelter from enemy fire.

This was a tough one.  I wanted an ability that knocked away nearby enemies and created a circular barrier that they couldn't fire through and couldn't pass (knocks them back if they try, yay friendly laser fence!).  However, if allies could pass and walk through it that seems really powerful (when considering Snow Globe and Electric Shield), and if they couldn't do either of those things, it could inhibit other players or become a tool for griefing.  In the end, Snow Globe disabled enemies and Electric Shield provided damage, so having something players could walk and shoot through, for 75 energy, was reasonable enough.

Hunter

Cost: 100

Surge forward, becoming an apex of destruction.

I wanted a Slash Dash/Rhino Charge you could control.  So on activation, you get a huge speed buff for a short period and anything you run into takes big damage and is knocked back.  Also, for kicks, I thought it'd be cool if the frame was gliding across the ground, being pulled along big your crazy big glowy power arm.

And here's the sketch I whipped up and really should have spent a lot more time on.  I wanted a scarf/shawl/hood kind of feel for the chest and neck, and a very pulled skin/fabric look for much of the armor.  I also liked the idea of a more asymmetrical frame, like Banshee started going into, and I think we need more of in the game.  I decided on a slimmer look because besides Volt, all male frames are super bulky, and I wanted a tankier frame that relied more on abilities for defense instead of it's big scary monster body.

8b2AuHk.jpg

Edited by Cursor

He kinds seems like a mix of everyone.
Not to fond of that. I mean, If people were complaning about Vauban being a mix of everyones skills (Volt,Excal,Frost,Mag)
this is even worse

Bash is the only unique spell, but, Banshees sonic boom does the same thing.
2 and 3 is just a snowglobe knock off split in half, with mobility added

4 just another rhino dash.

I like the shield concept, but try to get more unique skills

perhaps,
1) Throwing the shield like captain America, like a glaive
2)  if the shield is an energy shield, make it expand for a bit of time, giving a moving (electric shield) that volt has, but mobile, (so your mobile elecric shield, but blocks 100% of oncoming damage, and its only 1 side, and its mobile) but doesn't electrify shots

3)  Bastile/Snow globe pretty much take the "large radius shields" soo, perhaps- you said you wanted visual effects of "stars" floating around him? Perhaps for his third ability, a "star" goes to a nearby ally, expands, and they get a shield that reduces incoming damage for a short bit (would look something like bullet attractor, but do the opposite)
4) hmm... How about summon 3 shields, in a triangle pattern around Orion (big like snow globe) and after a few seconds of blocking all incoming projectiles, the shields shoot out and damage and knock down enemies that are struk by the "shields"

He kinds seems like a mix of everyone.

Not to fond of that. I mean, If people were complaning about Vauban being a mix of everyones skills (Volt,Excal,Frost,Mag)

this is even worse

Bash is the only unique spell, but, Banshees sonic boom does the same thing.

2 and 3 is just a snowglobe knock off split in half, with mobility added

4 just another rhino dash.

I like the shield concept, but try to get more unique skills

perhaps,

1) Throwing the shield like captain America, like a glaive

2)  if the shield is an energy shield, make it expand for a bit of time, giving a moving (electric shield) that volt has, but mobile, (so your mobile elecric shield, but blocks 100% of oncoming damage, and its only 1 side, and its mobile) but doesn't electrify shots

3)  Bastile/Snow globe pretty much take the "large radius shields" soo, perhaps- you said you wanted visual effects of "stars" floating around him? Perhaps for his third ability, a "star" goes to a nearby ally, expands, and they get a shield that reduces incoming damage for a short bit (would look something like bullet attractor, but do the opposite)

4) hmm... How about summon 3 shields, in a triangle pattern around Orion (big like snow globe) and after a few seconds of blocking all incoming projectiles, the shields shoot out and damage and knock down enemies that are struk by the "shields"

First I'd like to mention that I actually like Vauban's versatility (it's a whole lot better than being a one-trick pony like Ember or only having a single good ability like Mag), even though he either needs toning down or other frames need to come up to his level.

For Bash, I wanted something that didn't throw the badies to the other side of the room, and that also did more than a bunny's fart in damage.

And as for the list...

1) I kind of wanted things to stay mostly melee, and besides, there's a lot of "throwing stuff" among weapons.

2) Was that...not what I suggested?  Oh, I did forget the whole "only damage from the front" part, but I thought the concept I put forward was a moving shield that blocks shots and doesn't add damage.  Did I just not communicate that well?

3) Is the whole "impassible wall" part not a big enough difference?  I'm pretty sure none of the frames have literal area denial in their abilities.

4) Isn't that exactly what Absorb does?  Like, actually exactly?

why have you put this in off-topic put this into the warframe suggestions section on the forums

Wait, there's a Warframe Suggestion section?

I think it's a design council only section?

Oh, that would make a lot of sense.

PERHAPS SOON I'LL BE ABLE TO SEE IT!  MUAHAHAHAOHI'MBADWITHMONEY

Edited by Cursor

Oh, that would make a lot of sense.

PERHAPS SOON I'LL BE ABLE TO SEE IT!  MUAHAHAHAOHI'MBADWITHMONEY

I'd like to see it too. time to bother the folks

If you wait a bit, I'll give my opinion on this, although I don't know how much help I'll be.

I'd like to see it too. time to bother the folks

If you wait a bit, I'll give my opinion on this, although I don't know how much help I'll be.

First week home from college, so I'm just waiting on my first new paycheck from work.

Hey, I'm always open to feedback.

...which might sound strange since my first response to criticism probably came off as a bit defensive.  Didn't mean to be, I was just trying to do a back-and-forth.  Seriously, hit me with your best.