Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Atlas 2.0

Magnus

Atlas is now famously known as the first Warframe to come out and immediately require a rework. No synergy, two horrible skills that were more than obviously rushed, gimmicks for the sake of existing, and just a general disappointment (and pretty ugly to boot).

You know the drill, this is a rework that actually builds on synergy where the original design failed, in this case, completely.

-----

1: Landslide - The more you hit an enemy, the higher your multiplier builds. This currently just affects damage, but MUST also effect armor, quadrupling your total armor (or instead, a Damage Resistance) with a x4 bonus.

This allows players to successfully use this skill on a group of enemies without worrying as much about taking damage, if any when used in unison with Rock Armor, while also dealing it.

Using Landslide could also attract enemies more, and make you a higher priority target, due to the massive increase in armor, in order to be more of a tank as well.

---

2: Rock Armor - Several rocks cover Atlas' body in several parts, providing increased armor. It does not block damage entirely, so does not have health, but instead a percentage. Any kind of damage, no matter how strong, will only lower Rock Armor's percent by a set amount. Explosions will lower the percentage more than bullets will.

While active, even touching an enemy will knock them down instantly as if they were hit by a moving boulder. Atlas will also be unable to be knocked down, on the ground or in the air.

Rock Armor's percentage can be recovered, and even increased, by walking into enemies you've successfully Petrified. Going over 100% provides more armor.

Casting Rock Armor while already active will feed its power into an active Tectonic Plates.

Rock Armor scales with Strength and Armor. Steel Fiber will increase the returns.

Reason to Replace: Rumblers, now known as one of the worse ultimates designed yet. Seriously, Rumblers run right into Nullifiers and nullify themselves. They're just a bad version of Shadows of the Dead. No one asked for Rumblers, either, no one wanted them. It's bad, it's dumb, it doesn't fit a brawler theme and is very forced for an earth theme.

---

3: Petrify - The same, but allow width to scale with range, so it's better as CC for defense. Increase the player's FOV while casting as well to get a better view of what's going on around you, so you aren't tunnel visioned towards one enemy or something.

---

4: Tectonic Plates - Atlas punches the ground and forces a number of rock slabs up from the ground, rotating around the casting point. Each slab provides cover the size of the previous Tectonics, but in a more encompassing fashion. The more damage a slab takes, the more visually cracked it becomes, and the further it's buffed, the more like metal they appear, from being lined with ferrite to being a slab of gallium. When an enemy tries to walk around a plate, they can instead be hit by it as it moves, ragdolling them back.

Any enemy inside the casting radius will be forced outside, like Snowglobe.

Recasting Tectonic Plates releases each plate in the player's aimed direction, as if they were all pulled by Mag, and does damage based on the total health of each slab.

Casting Landslide on a Plate will launch it outwards towards the enemy for damage that not only scales with the Plate's strength and condition, but also Atlas' melee mods.

Tectonic Plates scales with Strength, Range, and Armor.

Augment: Rumbling Time - Instead of launching plates out as projectiles, instead converts each one into a rock golem, their power enhanced by how upgraded Tectonic Plates were. An augment for people who somehow liked them.

Reason to Replace: Tectonics is an awful defense skill. It's small, it can't be recast, it doesn't protect Atlas at all. You can hide behind any wall and have the same effect. If Tenno eventually get the option to deploy Blunts of their own, this would be even more completely useless. Throwing the bolder out is just not at all special. This, however, can be more effect with not only personal defense, but target and group defense, as well as damage.

---

Passive: 10% Bonus Base Damage to Fisting weapons, like Excalibur and his swords.

Reason to Replace: Don't need immunity to knockdown as a passive if it's build into his Rock Armor.

-----

Atlas was rushed. That's no secret. No alt helmet, awkward skills that, despite protest, were used for his release. While his original skills did not, these new skills create inwards synergy, of course, but also outward synergy as a 'defense booster'.

Atlas' skills allow him to benefit Snowglobe and Cataclysm, preventing enemies from entering fully into them with the use of Tectonic Plates. On top of that, he's free to roam around outside of the area with his massive defense, tearing apart enemies while also keeping them from focusing on the defense point, instead of him.

He'll also provide small, but enough cover, for weaker frames to take cover behind, long enough to recharge their shields, or cast their personal buffs or use skills from behind each plate and in turn support Atlas from their cover, making him a real brawler.

Edited by Extraxi

Agreed, rumblers are just awful, why would I summon something that's just going to kill itself? To be fair, it's not their fault, but the existance of nullifiers in general. You can't even shoot through tectonics, its like it's only actual use is to block doorways.

Agreed, rumblers are just awful, why would I summon something that's just going to kill itself? To be fair, it's not their fault, but the existance of nullifiers in general. You can't even shoot through tectonics, its like it's only actual use is to block doorways.

Yes you can shoot through tectonics i was doing it with my sonicor all day yesterday. and no it doesnt have punchthrough on it.

Eh... I don't wanna see him lose his golems. The rotating tectonics sounds amazing though.

That being said- obviously containing changes- this sounds closer to what we need in a Rhino Rework. Your suggestion is basically how iron skin should work. Being a certain amount of health- but only losing a percent per shot (would still block all damage and  prevent knockdown).

We just got atlas...and you already wanna get rid of some of his skills?

If you read OP, you'll see the issues with the powers being replaced and how powers that instead scale more will be more effective than a bunch of rockmen running right into a Nullifier's bubble to nullify themselves.

Eh... I don't wanna see him lose his golems. The rotating tectonics sounds amazing though.

That being said- obviously containing changes- this sounds closer to what we need in a Rhino Rework. Your suggestion is basically how iron skin should work. Being a certain amount of health- but only losing a percent per shot (would still block all damage and  prevent knockdown).

Read 4's augment.

As for Rhino, he doesn't need a full rework, he only really needs some simple number adjustments. Recastable Stomp, adjusted Iron Skin, and Rhino Charge being more like Excal/Atlas' 1 and he's done.

Edited by Extraxi

If you read OP, you'll see the issues with the powers being replaced and how powers that instead scale more will be more effective than a bunch of rockmen running right into a Nullifier's bubble to nullify themselves.

Read 4's augment.

As for Rhino, he doesn't need a full rework, he only really needs some simple number adjustments. Recastable Stomp, adjusted Iron Skin, and Rhino Charge being more like Excal/Atlas' 1 and he's done.

Well for one thing seriously... give it some time and as for augment...Name one frame where the augment changes the skill entirely other than adding lines to your char reducing damage(Shield of Shadows) Or the fire plumes knocking down enemies instead.

DE is HIGHLY unlikely to have an augment for something like that. What your augment is isnt a bandaid but another skill entirely.

Well for one thing seriously... give it some time and as for augment...Name one frame where the augment changes the skill entirely other than adding lines to your char reducing damage(Shield of Shadows) Or the fire plumes knocking down enemies instead.

DE is HIGHLY unlikely to have an augment for something like that. What your augment is isnt a bandaid but another skill entirely.

Making a good design is not about what DE is "likely to bother with". A good design is one that synergizes well with itself and builds on its own skills as well as others'. And "giving something time" doesn't help if no one takes action. Just look at Oberon.

Secondly, you misred the Augment, it seems. I urge you to reread it as it only replaces one aspect, or you could say, augments it.

Augment: Rumbling Time - Instead of launching plates out as projectiles, instead converts each one into a rock golem, their power enhanced by how upgraded Tectonic Plates were. An augment for people who somehow liked them.

What am I not understanding from this? Instead of plate projectiles they spawn as the golems...So.....2 different skills. Now if the augment was: Plates now ricochete 1/2/3/4 times now THAT DE would usually roll with. But you want to make the skill be one thing or the other.

What am I not understanding from this? Instead of plate projectiles they spawn as the golems...So.....2 different skills. Now if the augment was: Plates now ricochete 1/2/3/4 times now THAT DE would usually roll with. But you want to make the skill be one thing or the other.

Why do you think that? It isn't bad, unless there's Nullifiers around, and it's much less dumb than just two rumblers, while keeping the people who somehow liked Rumblers happy.

Just because you think it's quite the augment doesn't mean it can't be one. The primary part of the skill is still the defense.

Note: You mixed up the justification for Tectonics and Rumblers.

1: Landslide stacking armor is a thought I've had from the start, so I would agree with that. Bit too much base damage as is, though - 100 more than EB and Hysteria, which makes it oneshot nearly everything to a ridiculous degree. Reduction to 250 base (same as the others) but increase in armor sounds fair.

-Augment: Hits actively leech life or armor from enemies, maybe.

2: That's basically an Iron Skin rework, as someone mentioned. While rock armor would be nice, it really just... would be an Iron Skin that doesn't suck. Circular Tectonics is great, though, and I would go for that as his 2's upgrade. Were you saying it should launch them in a radial wave, or converge on one point?

-Add some synergy: Landslide shoots a plate forward on cast, so you can fire them off one at a time if you ever need to.

3: FOV increase on Petrify like Volt's Speed, because it's nearly impossible to see what's going on while casting it. Other than that, and maybe the width thing (make width scale better with range?), it's fine.

4: Rumblers suicide-by-null is largely because of the recent null buff that also causes them to dispel Snowglobes, a change that should arguably be reverted (along with the AOE immunity). As for being forced - they're golems, which fits perfectly well thematically. I wouldn't replace them entirely, but I would call for a Nullifier revert.

Actual changes I would go for: Make them stay close to Atlas and act as 'bodyguards', with a command to sic them on specific targets (Interact, like with syndicate agents?) - bit like a mobster's goons. They go out to punch whatever the boss wants punched, but otherwise are kept on a tight "leash" and provide close range defense, as well as possibly throwing rocks at longer-range targets - context action could be a melee hit or a rock shot depending on how far the target is.

-Rumblers augment: Lets them 'eat' petrified targets they kill to become stronger.

Note: You mixed up the justification for Tectonics and Rumblers.

Nah, Rock Armor is the replacement for Rumblers while Tectonics kind've got upgraded to.. tangibly useful.

2: That's basically an Iron Skin rework, as someone mentioned. While rock armor would be nice, it really just... would be an Iron Skin that doesn't suck. Circular Tectonics is great, though, and I would go for that as his 2's upgrade. Were you saying it should launch them in a radial wave, or converge on one point?

-Add some synergy: Landslide shoots a plate forward on cast, so you can fire them off one at a time if you ever need to.

A brawler needs to be able to survive while actually brawling. Rock Armor is a synergy based personal defense that works with both Landslide for personal protection, Tectonic Plates for target protection, and Petrify for improving both.

Tectonic Plates would all converge on the same point for a high damage attack, otherwise you'd have to wait for each plate to line up with where you want to launch them, which would be not at all be fluid. But if you do have a shot lined up for Landslide to knock one out, that's a really good idea. Gonna just.. throw that up there.

3: FOV increase on Petrify like Volt's Speed, because it's nearly impossible to see what's going on while casting it. Other than that, and maybe the width thing (make width scale better with range?), it's fine.

Yes.

4: Rumblers suicide-by-null is largely because of the recent null buff that also causes them to dispel Snowglobes, a change that should arguably be reverted (along with the AOE immunity). As for being forced - they're golems, which fits perfectly well thematically. I wouldn't replace them entirely, but I would call for a Nullifier revert.

Actual changes I would go for: Make them stay close to Atlas and act as 'bodyguards', with a command to sic them on specific targets (Interact, like with syndicate agents?) - bit like a mobster's goons. They go out to punch whatever the boss wants punched, but otherwise are kept on a tight "leash" and provide close range defense, as well as possibly throwing rocks at longer-range targets - context action could be a melee hit or a rock shot depending on how far the target is.

-Rumblers augment: Lets them 'eat' petrified targets they kill to become stronger.

Realistically, we won't ever get commands to better instruct rumblers due to the game being dual developed for consoles as well. Even if we did something as dry as syndicate spectres, they'd just stand there instead entirely, never doing anything, because they don't have guns. Even if the AI was edited a little to try and stay IN the area, one nullifier and they're gone because they're melee.

When Rumblers were thought up, it was just thought up because they were rock men, not because of how the game is now, not what would work and what would synergize well with other frames. It's a dumb gimmick that's got to go.

A brawler needs to be able to survive while actually brawling. Rock Armor is a synergy based personal defense that works with both Landslide for personal protection, Tectonic Plates for target protection, and Petrify for improving both.

Mm. Noted, and I did say rock armor was a cool idea... but what I meant was that mechanically, it would effectively be what Iron Skin should always have been. Right down to having an Ironclad Charge-like effect on its petrify synergy. If they went with this, what would be done about Rhino to fix Iron Skin without then turning it into a clone of this?

Realistically, we won't ever get commands to better instruct rumblers due to the game being dual developed for consoles as well. Even if we did something as dry as syndicate spectres, they'd just stand there instead entirely, never doing anything, because they don't have guns. Even if the AI was edited a little to try and stay IN the area, one nullifier and they're gone because they're melee.

When Rumblers were thought up, it was just thought up because they were rock men, not because of how the game is now, not what would work and what would synergize well with other frames. It's a dumb gimmick that's got to go.

I did mention above all else that the nullifier change was bad and should be reverted so summons and snowglobes aren't instantly wrecked by them, so I'm not sure how that part is still relevant to my specific responses. Also, to the best of my knowledge, they are indeed still working on a "sic" command for Kubrows, so it's not entirely inconceivable. Again, they could also get a ranged attack that triggers based on enemy proximity and prioritization, and the latter should be worked on extensively in any case, for all pets and pet abilities.

Also, there's hardly any basis for statements about what the devs were thinking, because we're not the devs. Pointless statement - "why" they exist is, generally speaking, irrelevant. And since it's thoroughly unlikely that they'll ever scrap an ability completely right after it's introduced, I prefer solutions that don't reinvent the wheel.

If they went with this, what would be done about Rhino to fix Iron Skin without then turning it into a clone of this?

It's pretty easy. I can pull this S#&$ off the top of my head.

Iron Skin - Applied directly to the skin. In other words, shields will take damage before Iron Skin. Shields, in that way, add additional length to how long Iron Skin lasts. Iron Skin also becomes a direct health augment, its own bar, 'Overhealth'. Not only that, but Iron Skin can now be cast multiple times. With each additional cast, the energy cost doubles, up until it will cost more than Rhino can even have in total energy. The same amount will be added each time, for diminishing returns.

The amount of overhealth gained is triplicative of your base health and its armor triplicative of your own, mods of course affecting it.

In other words, Rhino would become stronger as you gain more energy and efficiency. Once Stomp becomes recastable as well, every step Rhino takes would rock the level. In this sense, he'd be able to walk up in his excessive armor and safely perform CC for the benefit of his team, and only get more defensible with the use of Ironclad Charge, even using that t o enter a group before stomping.

Also, I'd remove the augment from Roar and just make it part of Roar and boom, you've got a tank built for buffs and debuffs, not so much damage but living for his team.