Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Theory On What The Umbras Are

Arthan

So, we know that the Prime frames are the warframes constructed by the Orokin for the Tenno. The Tenno then altered the primes to their "normal" state after the collapse. In devstream 61, Steve said that the Umbras are the perverse or wicked version of primes. They are its negative version. I theorize that the Umbras are the frames worn by the Stalker and the other 'low guardians'. Either that, or they were worn by Tenno who first took up the Lotus' cause. Either way, they represent all that is not Orokin and most likely were worn by dissenters, rebels, and conspirators.

Please comment your thoughts below.

and now he is stalker prime :P :D

And i think that is the best solution they could come up with actually, founder keep their exclusive excalibur and everyone is happy, now let's have an umbra lato and an umbra skana will ya ? ;p

EDIT :

Who know, maybe you'll want to use the umbra if it get an interesting passive ^

I think I'll still want to use my Excal Prime. I like the helmet. I'll max out the Umbra, though.

Would be neat if they were the secret police of the Orokin, empires have been known to use spies on their own people to maintain their power and for counter espionage.  

Assassinations, sabotage, information gathering and territory defense, pretty much what we already do but to our own.  I don't think it's too far of a stretch, we already know the Orokin were a class based society with a great sense of elitism, some Tenno had to have been used for such a purpose.

I recall a dev stating once that the global umbra excal is going to just be a skin, and not an actual frame like it will be in China Warframe.

I doubt we'll see any stats involved with it, unless that has changed since it was spoken of about two months ago.

It would be a bit odd to have Umbra Excal be a skin, and then have actual frame Umbras later on. Curious indeed.

I, like others, would like to just see the ability to upgrade a frame into a prime counterpart. When I first started this game, I thought the way you obtained prime versions was to first rank30 the non-prime version first, and then attach the prime parts to it to upgrade it into said prime. I'd really rather see something like that, and to have weapons possess Umbran counterparts as well—but we already have Prisma/Mara (Mara Brakk plx) for the palette swap versions of weapons, so that might be silly.

Really, at the end of the day, I really don't care. As long as I can look like a badass space ninja, I'm fine with whatever happens.

On Topic:

MASSIVE, HUGE, BIG SPOILERS (POSSIBLY? (MAYBE? (I'M NOT SURE THIS IS EVEN REAL YET)))

REGARDING THE KURIA STATUE POEM:

This is about the Grineer Queens. Seriously, spoiler warning.

Last chance. You might not want to read this if you really care about lore integrity for yourself.

I'm kind of wondering if the Umbras are the Grineer's messing around with Warframes in the vein of Alad and Valkyr. I get a strange feeling that we're seeing Vor's original plan start to see some fruition. Perhaps a means for the Grineer to combat the Sentients themselves? Our powers are highly sought-after, and if my buddy ObviousLee's intuition is right, it's entirely possible that the Grineer Queens may either be, or at least one of them is—a living Orokin. They know how to create Warframes. We are kind of their invention. It doesn't seem far fetched to me.

Edited by DiosGX