Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

We need more units to FEAR - a la Phantoms from ME3 >:D

Zakalwe

For many people who've ME3 MP, the Phantoms represent that "Oh sh*t" moment.

They're a great design: huge mobility and damage potential balanced by a supreme squishiness (one headshot, one claymore shot to the face, half a clip of a well aimed Hurricane, etc..).

At the point I stopped playing, I'd learnt to deal with them effectuively, but seeing 2-3 of them cloak and move in towards me still set me on edge as I knew one tiny error and I was down.

This game lacks units that really put that kind of fear into me, and rarely do I see a team form up and condesne their fire on a single target (bosses aside) because they feel threatened enough to do so.

What do you think?

And any ideas on what they could be?

Enemy melee units need more mobility in general

Reminded me of the bug they have with backward animation speeds with freeze damage. Thanks, reported it.

Mass Effect 3 is also not a very good game. Phantoms were complained about constantly during the public beta because they would kill from mid-range without warning if the host was laggy in the slightest and they could two-shot with their crappy palm blast and enforce bleedout on someone because trying to revive that person would just get you lagstabbed. I don't think it's the best example for suggesting content to bring over to other games. Death was also inconsequential because you revived 2 minutes later when the wave ended. Here, it costs money after the fourth revive a day.

If Warframe needs a 'scary' enemy, Phantoms are not the path to take.

They need to reduce the charge up delay that most of the Grineer and Corpus melee units have before striking. It's hilarious to watch them sprint to you and then go into a slow-mo swing that you would have to purposely run into, to be hit by.

Scary part about phantoms was the random by chance sync kill. Dat phantom sneak up on you? You bet it is going to stab you.

But lets not give the devs some cheesy things to consider.

How about a stealthing Robot, with a Shotgun, that staggers the player!

Anyways I'd like to point out, that diversity in enemies is lacking, lets hope there are more things to come.

Scary part about phantoms was the random by chance sync kill. Dat phantom sneak up on you? You bet it is going to stab you.

But lets not give the devs some cheesy things to consider.

How about a stealthing Robot, with a Shotgun, that staggers the player!

Anyways I'd like to point out, that diversity in enemies is lacking, lets hope there are more things to come.

Uwahahaha, that's hilarious. Geth hunter was nerf after 8 months of frustration.

Sync-kill and stunlock were two most complained designs in ME3MP. They take control away from players to increase difficulty (or frustration, depend on perspective) thus they're not a good design from player's point of view.

If DE really want to add these synckiller in the future update then they should do it in a way that player do not feel 'cheated' since revive = real money in this game. Add a duel sequence while player got caught by these units - chance to counter synckill sequence while player is immuned to other sources of damage (make sense since your enemies' friends probably won't shoot if their friend is in line of fire). GOW style.

Stunlock and staggerfest are to be avoid. Stun cooldown is a good way to make it less frustrating.

Mass Effect 3 is also not a very good game. Phantoms were complained about constantly during the public beta because they would kill from mid-range without warning if the host was laggy in the slightest and they could two-shot with their crappy palm blast and enforce bleedout on someone because trying to revive that person would just get you lagstabbed. I don't think it's the best example for suggesting content to bring over to other games. Death was also inconsequential because you revived 2 minutes later when the wave ended. Here, it costs money after the fourth revive a day.

If Warframe needs a 'scary' enemy, Phantoms are not the path to take.

Nope, a vocal minority compained about them. Anyone who was actually good at the game (gold/platinum solo artists, platinum runners, etc...) always supported them. They were VERY easy to kill, they were just good at killing you too - unlike most of the other enemies.

And, unlike Bansehees that could suck you in from ha;f the map away, if you died to the Phantom's sync kill you almost always deserved it (just don't go near her after she performed a melee!).

And ME3 MP is pretty good, actually. The only real problem with it was sync kills that felt like you were cheated and the horrific RNG chest store.

Anyway, you got sidetracked. The idea is not to emulate Phantoms, but the FEAR they produce. I wasn't saying we should have sync kills and stuff.

Edited by Zakalwe

Anyway, you got sidetracked. The idea is not to emulate Phantoms, but the FEAR they produce. I wasn't saying we should have sync kills and stuff.

Absolutely. I still play ME3 (and love it) but I definitely +1 your comment. It would be lovely to be terrified when a unit appeared. Cool idea!