Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Destiny's Guardians Vs Warframe's Tenno

(XBOX)BURRITO DEVIL

One- Their hud is built into the Warframe. They don't need some silly orb to do all their tasks and wipe their ! for them. Without the Ghost, a Guardian is inexplicably halved in their potential ability.

Two- They can have 3 players, we can have 4. They can have 6, we can have 8. Numbers in reserve are also much more sheer and plentiful whereas actual Guardians in lore are... Well- They're scarce to say the least.

Three- Who the hell knows how Nyx's Mind Control works. We can control Moa and Drones for christ's sakes lol.

Four- The Guardians have to rely on their Ghosts however. You kill the Ghost, and they're dead for good. Tenno don't require outside help to revive, even if they have a limited supply. In lore though, revives for Tenno aren't existant.

The Guardian and the Ghost are best viewed as a singular being.  You take away the ghost, you have a confused undead guy.  However, seperating the Ghost from the Guardian is difficult.  So far, it haz only occured in the Canon off-camera, and only a couple of times.

As far as the numbers, the Lore of the Tenno shows a rather vague amount of information concerning this.  It is implied that a lot are in Stasis, but how frequently are they waking up?  Do they need help?  How often are the Grineer and the Corpus capturing them before they become fully active, like they almost did with the Excalibur in the Cinematic with Vor?  Arguing numbers is a wash, as we simply do not have enough information.  However, one could argue that the Guardians are more easily reinforced.  As long as their are Ghosts, there will be Guardians.  The lore is also completely ambiguous as to whether or not new Ghosts are being created.

The only thing we can really do is assume that both sides hace small numbers.  If there were more Guardians, Earth would be fine.  If there were more Tenno, they would likely be a controlling force in the solar system, and not feared and powerful mercenaries.

Furthur still a Ghost can be seen as analogous to a Tenno's Warframe.  WIthout a Warframe, a Tenno is also rather useless, as far as we can tell.

I already did say the numbers thing kinda swings it towards the Tenno, but only just.

And as far as Nyx, you're right, who knows?  I'm simply not considering ehr as we can't determine if she'd be effective.

Ok, first, as to the capture mechanic:  The ghost can go "inside" the Guradian.  Your HUD is actually a function of the Ghost, as is you rnavigation, your ability to call your ship and sparrow (hoverbike), and so on.  So, while the Capture mechanic could be a thing, it wouldn't seperate the Ghost from teh guardian.  Also, there is equal chance that bla bla LIGHT bla bla the capture wouldn't work.  Not even the Guardians fully understand Light, so it's a toss up.

Second, the 8 player Tenno teams:  This does change things a bit, and swings the favor a bit more in the direction of the Tenno.  However, I still think the synergy of the Guardian powers, and especially the Ward of Light, would give them more than a decent chance.  it may not be a coin toss anymore, but it is still a fight.

Third, the Hacking:  Most evidence points to the Traveller, and by extension the Ghosts, as being inorganic life forms, rather than machines.  The Vex, a synthetic race in Destiny, are similar critters.  This would render them as defended against hacking as an organic brain, at least.  Now, this does open the possibility that Nyx could mess with a Ghost, but I have a feeling that, if the writers were presented with that situation, they would bla bla LIGHT bla bla something, so lets just assume that doesn't work.

Fourth, the easily reassembled Warframe technology:  I've gotta call this one a wash, because Guardian tech is similarly resuable.  Most of it is based around a programmable matter called Glimmer, which takes skill to use and sometimes implements an exotic resource component, but can be reshapped an unlimited number of times into new and different gear, weapons, armor, and vehicles.  Considering the Tenno Forge works along a similar concept (sorta), their ability to gather and reuse technology is about even.

FInally, the respawn mechanics:  Even if both mechanics work as normal, the Guardians still get an edge here, since their respawn is automatic after a time, while the Tenno have to have outside assistance or an expendable revive resource, or inexplicably end up back on their ship.  While this isn't a swing-factor by any sense, the Guardians win out on this singular point.

Another point to consider is their overall strategic approach.

The Guardians want to pacify the solar system to prevent any threats from damaging the Traveller so that humanity can rebuild and repair the Traveller in peace.

The Tenno want to maintain balance in the solar system. They'd be working to undermine all the progress the Guardians have made against their opponents, but would also help protect the Traveller from overwhelming threats. The Lotus wouldn't direct the Tenno to kill the Guardians, she would have some other objective in mind that she needed accomplished. Which is the Tenno's biggest adantage against the Guardians and their Ghosts, it doesn't matter if the Tenno can't kill the Guardians if the Guardians can't stop the Tenno from achieving their tactical goals. 

While this favors the Tenno, it doesn't actually mean that the Guardians lose. The Lotus isn't going to destroy the city or the Traveller so while the Tenno can win, the Guardians are stalemated at worst.

Ok, first, as to the capture mechanic:  The ghost can go "inside" the Guradian.  Your HUD is actually a function of the Ghost, as is you rnavigation, your ability to call your ship and sparrow (hoverbike), and so on.  So, while the Capture mechanic could be a thing, it wouldn't seperate the Ghost from teh guardian.  Also, there is equal chance that bla bla LIGHT bla bla the capture wouldn't work.  Not even the Guardians fully understand Light, so it's a toss up.

Second, the 8 player Tenno teams:  This does change things a bit, and swings the favor a bit more in the direction of the Tenno.  However, I still think the synergy of the Guardian powers, and especially the Ward of Light, would give them more than a decent chance.  it may not be a coin toss anymore, but it is still a fight.

Third, the Hacking:  Most evidence points to the Traveller, and by extension the Ghosts, as being inorganic life forms, rather than machines.  The Vex, a synthetic race in Destiny, are similar critters.  This would render them as defended against hacking as an organic brain, at least.  Now, this does open the possibility that Nyx could mess with a Ghost, but I have a feeling that, if the writers were presented with that situation, they would bla bla LIGHT bla bla something, so lets just assume that doesn't work.

Fourth, the easily reassembled Warframe technology:  I've gotta call this one a wash, because Guardian tech is similarly resuable.  Most of it is based around a programmable matter called Glimmer, which takes skill to use and sometimes implements an exotic resource component, but can be reshapped an unlimited number of times into new and different gear, weapons, armor, and vehicles.  Considering the Tenno Forge works along a similar concept (sorta), their ability to gather and reuse technology is about even.

FInally, the respawn mechanics:  Even if both mechanics work as normal, the Guardians still get an edge here, since their respawn is automatic after a time, while the Tenno have to have outside assistance or an expendable revive resource, or inexplicably end up back on their ship.  While this isn't a swing-factor by any sense, the Guardians win out on this singular point.

depends if your talking long term or short term battles. If we are talking one quick battle then yes the guardians have the advantage with their revive system. Otherwise the tenno have a distinct advantage with their revive system.

At the Tenno's speed? Have you seen how fast we clear out an entire base for enemies? Just because you teleport doesn't make you as fast. They're still limited to running, sprinting, jumping, and whatever of the 3 types of movement they have after said jump. A Tenno run is probably the same speed as a Guardian's sprint, while the Tenno are much less limited in movement with their parkour skills, and bulletjumping can arguably match a Guardian's blink or better-double jump in distance, if not faster, and further. You're going to say a Guardian's slow movement can keep up with a Tenno's penchant for speed and agility?

A Blade Dancer or a Gunslinger, with the right gear, yes, they could at least compete with a Tenno.  The Blade Dancer's Blink and Blink Strike  give a surprising amount of mobility and speed, and the Gunslinger can get up to a quadruple jump.  Also, certain gear further improves their run speed and slide distance.  This is all combined with the fact that they can literally summon a hover bike at will.

Also, Warlock Glide, while not as fast as Tenno movement, gives a very different form of movement, one which could be tactically superior in certain circumstances.  They loos out on speed, but gain in sustained verticality.

The Guardians want to pacify the solar system to prevent any threats from damaging the Traveller so that humanity can rebuild and repair the Traveller in peace.

The Tenno want to maintain balance in the solar system. They'd be working to undermine all the progress the Guardians have made against their opponents, but would also help protect the Traveller from overwhelming threats. The Lotus wouldn't direct the Tenno to kill the Guardians, she would have some other objective in mind that she needed accomplished. Which is the Tenno's biggest adantage against the Guardians and their Ghosts, it doesn't matter if the Tenno can't kill the Guardians if the Guardians can't stop the Tenno from achieving their tactical goals. 

While this favors the Tenno, it doesn't actually mean that the Guardians lose. The Lotus isn't going to destroy the city or the Traveller so while the Tenno can win, the Guardians are stalemated at worst.

This is a valid point, but outside the purview of the debate.  People would want to know who would win in a fight, not what would happen on the galactic scale.  If the two were put into the same solar system, in all likelihood, they would either be ambivalent against each other, or allies, unless the Void actually was a direct analogue of the Darkness.

Though some good points, I think the 'blah blah LIGHT' parts cannot be reliably accepted as an argument against anything given there is no current basis as best I can see that would create a situation of outright denial of effect. It feels like a lazy cop-out when compared to the rest of your rather sound reasoning. However, again, the capture mechanic does require more information before it can be seen as a viable tactic anyway so I suppose it is partially moot on that point.

Also, I don't see how an inorganic life form is all that different from a machine if it can be accessed and communicated with using electrical and/or EM spectrum methods, then it seems like something that could be potentially hacked. Technically, if you want to get philosophical about it, the matter that makes up a machine can be rendered a moot point as long as the entry vector is a route that a given system is susceptible to. Yes, this means that colds, flu, ebola, and the like are just biological malware and antibodies are your biological firewalls. Vaccinations are anti-malware updates and have no effect on the OS of the system other than keeping it's hardware more defended against attacks.

Of course, for all we know, Ordis and the Ghost are utterly unable to interact with each other beyond simple 'verbal' communication based upon not having any programming commonalities on which either OS could interface with the other since they were not built in a situation where one would need to interact with the other. That is to say, no drivers would exist to facilitate compatibility.

That said, Nyx can mind control straight up Robots already so there is that to take into account. I don't even know how that's supposed to work but apparently it does.

Edited by Terumitsu

A Blade Dancer or a Gunslinger, with the right gear, yes, they could at least compete with a Tenno.  The Blade Dancer's Blink and Blink Strike  give a surprising amount of mobility and speed, and the Gunslinger can get up to a quadruple jump.  Also, certain gear further improves their run speed and slide distance.  This is all combined with the fact that they can literally summon a hover bike at will.

Also, Warlock Glide, while not as fast as Tenno movement, gives a very different form of movement, one which could be tactically superior in certain circumstances.  They loos out on speed, but gain in sustained verticality.

This would benefit the Guardians when fighting in open spaces, but they have a lot less mobility in cramped settings. Whoever can dictate where they fight can use that to their advantage.  

depends if your talking long term or short term battles. If we are talking one quick battle then yes the guardians have the advantage with their revive system. Otherwise the tenno have a distinct advantage with their revive system.

And as that they both provide equal value in different conditions, one could argue that the advantage is a wash.  Even still, both combatants have enough crowd control and defenses to be assumed to revive each other a staggering portion of the time.

true enough. Btw doesn't this shut down the debate completely?

Though some good points, I think the 'blah blah LIGHT' parts cannot be reliably accepted as an argument against anything given there is no current basis as best I can see that would create a situation of outright denial of effect. It feels like a lazy cop-out when compared to the rest of your rather sound reasoning. However, again, the capture mechanic does require more information before it can be seen as a viable tactic anyway so I suppose it is partially moot on that point.

Also, I don't see how an inorganic life form is all that different from a machine if it can be accessed and communicated with using electrical and/or EM spectrum methods, then it seems like something that could be potentially hacked. Technically, if you want to get philosophical about it, the matter that makes up a machine can be rendered a moot point as long as the entry vector is a route that a given system is susceptible to. Yes, this means that colds, flu, ebola, and the like are just biological malware and antibodies are your biological firewalls. Vaccinations are anti-malware updates and have no effect on the OS of the system other than keeping it's hardware more defended against attacks.

Of course, for all we know, Ordis and the Ghost are utterly unable to interact with each other beyond simple 'verbal' communication based upon not having any programming commonalities on which either OS could interface with the other since they were not built in a situation where one would need to interact with the other. That is to say, no drivers would exist to facilitate compatibility.

That said, Nyx can mind control straight up Robots already so there is that to take into account. I don't even know how that's supposed to work but apparently it does.

I wish I had something better that "bla bla LIGHT", but the writers have left that intentionally vague.  Light is basically technological magic.  It is implied that it is, indeed, somehow scientifically based, but other than that, does things that tell physics that it can go stand in the corner.  It truly is a Deus Ex Machin in every sense of the word, and any plot holes in Destny are conveniently plugged with a giant Light-made cork.  Turst me, I feel bad for using it, but that is all I can pull from the Grimoire.

THe best I can figure, speaking VERY speculatively, is that it somehow energizes and shapes Strong Interaction/Stron Nuclear Force, or it makes rampant use of Quantum Entanglement or Tunneling.

Ah. So Light is basically Destiny's Element Zero in this instance. Gotcha.

Though, apparently less defined than 'eezo,' sadly.

Light isn't defined AT ALL, except that the Traveller grants it, the Darkness is against it, and it does everything, including cleaning chrome.

There is even theories, partially supported by parts of the Grimoire, that imply the Darknes sand the Light could be the same thing.

BTW, I can post a link to all the Grimoire cards, if you like.  Makes for good bathroom reading.

true enough. Btw doesn't this shut down the debate completely?

When combined with the fact that both sides are functionally immortal to each other and hence can't brute force each other down, yeah, pretty much.

That being said, there's no point not discussing potential scenarios anyway. Though honestly there's some important things to take into account on accord of differing setting tech:

FTL travel: Tenno seem to lose out on this one, as they use the pre-existing rails to get around the solar system rapidly. The Guardian's ships (from what I've seen) have onboard jump drives, which would probably give them an edge when it comes to deep strike deployment. However, how fast tenno ships can travel without the rails is debatable, especially considering tenno can enter the void using keys somehow.

Shields and Overall durabillity: Pretty much the other big thing. While guardian's shields are light powered (or something?), the exact specifics on strength between warframe and destiny shields isn't clear. Comparative to their shields however, most warframes seem to be pretty durable, whereas most guardians (on average) tend to sit more on shielding based defense.

Other faction Strength: The big one, that honestly, I'm most interested in. Seeing how the infested or grineer match up to the cabal or fallen is probably a pretty amusing thought.

This is a valid point, but outside the purview of the debate.  People would want to know who would win in a fight, not what would happen on the galactic scale.  If the two were put into the same solar system, in all likelihood, they would either be ambivalent against each other, or allies, unless the Void actually was a direct analogue of the Darkness.

It's kind of key to the whole discussion actually. If you want to discuss who would win in a fight you should consider why they are fighting in the first place. Both sides are very capable of extracting themselves from situations they don't want to be in, so you need something that would make them stick around and actually fight it out.

And I don't really think they'd get along all that well. The Guardians are one of the entrenched powers of the system after all and the Lotus doesn't want any one power to out match the others. That puts the Tenno at odds with the Guardians as the Vanguard would want to eliminate all opposing factions. Leading to lots of skirmishes and the both sides giving out deathmarks to the other, Tenno appearing in a puff of smoke near Guardians in Darkness zones and Guardians transmatting in in threes when the Tenno are raiding the Corpus or Grineer.

Or they could just be engaging in PvP for kicks because both sides are functionally immortal, at which point whoever wins gets decried as being OP and nerfed so the other side can win ;)

Light isn't defined AT ALL, except that the Traveller grants it, the Darkness is against it, and it does everything, including cleaning chrome.

There is even theories, partially supported by parts of the Grimoire, that imply the Darknes sand the Light could be the same thing.

BTW, I can post a link to all the Grimoire cards, if you like.  Makes for good bathroom reading.

That would be awesome of you. I like lore things in general so go ahead.

When combined with the fact that both sides are functionally immortal to each other and hence can't brute force each other down, yeah, pretty much.

That being said, there's no point not discussing potential scenarios anyway. Though honestly there's some important things to take into account on accord of differing setting tech:

FTL travel: Tenno seem to lose out on this one, as they use the pre-existing rails to get around the solar system rapidly. The Guardian's ships (from what I've seen) have onboard jump drives, which would probably give them an edge when it comes to deep strike deployment. However, how fast tenno ships can travel without the rails is debatable, especially considering tenno can enter the void using keys somehow.

Shields and Overall durabillity: Pretty much the other big thing. While guardian's shields are light powered (or something?), the exact specifics on strength between warframe and destiny shields isn't clear. Comparative to their shields however, most warframes seem to be pretty durable, whereas most guardians (on average) tend to sit more on shielding based defense.

Other faction Strength: The big one, that honestly, I'm most interested in. Seeing how the infested or grineer match up to the cabal or fallen is probably a pretty amusing thought.

Another small, though valid, point is that Guardians regen their health, too, where most Tenno need outside assistance for that.

As far as Factions?  The Grineer are about on par with the Fallen.  Both are technologically handy, both are scavengers, both have a military-styled heirarchy, though the Fallen are more feudal.

the Corpus could be sen as on similar grounds as the Cabal.  THe Cabal are bigger and Stronger, but the Corpus more ingenuitive, and with arguably better tech and infrastructure.

The Vex... I dunno how to quantify them.  I have a LOT of theories about them.  They control TIme, and travel through ti at will.  I think they have some pretty specific agendas, and do and don't do things vor very specific reasons.  Otherwise, they would have won everything by now.  FOr this argument, it's best to just leave them off the table.

This is assuming that Guardian shields work along the same technological lines as Tenno and Corpus shields.  Likely, they don't however.  Tenno and Corpus shields are effected by Mag's magnetic abilities, which makes them electro-magnetic in nature.  Almost all of the Guardian Tech is powered by Light, a much more esoteric force.  Guardian shields even work entirely differently than the other shields of the game's enemy races. 

Where does it stand that corpus shields and tenno shields are the same.

You think that they are the same that doesn´t make it a fact thought.

The later sentence is the exact same as in the tennoverse. The shield of tenno is due to their warframe technology that is powered by void energy. Void powers are esoteric. So is the light. If we now argue that both can´t touch each other we´re back at the start.

edit: which "power" manipulates a element is meaningless if both elements share the same physical behaviour in each universe

Edited by VoidNomade

I'd say Nyx's mind-hax is quite impressive, it can even override the Neural Sentry's gripe in Corrupted, and the Hivemind's strings on the Infested.

Also, regarding a Guardian's mobility, is Blink a FTE-movement akin to something like Corvo has in Dishonored, or a simple teleport? The Tenno themselves are bullet-timers, amplified by Volt/Zephyr, I'm sure that can at least pinpoint a Guardian's footing and mobility. If not, Ash/Loki can try tele-blitzing each other to a stalemate.

Still, I'd guess the victor can only be determined if this battle were to bound to certain rules/situation/circumstances. (Direct open combat? Guerilla warfare? Will the Tenno be able to eliminate their Ghosts?/Will the Guardians be able to destroy a Tenno's Oro?, etc)

It's kind of key to the whole discussion actually. If you want to discuss who would win in a fight you should consider why they are fighting in the first place. Both sides are very capable of extracting themselves from situations they don't want to be in, so you need something that would make them stick around and actually fight it out.

And I don't really think they'd get along all that well. The Guardians are one of the entrenched powers of the system after all and the Lotus doesn't want any one power to out match the others. That puts the Tenno at odds with the Guardians as the Vanguard would want to eliminate all opposing factions. Leading to lots of skirmishes and the both sides giving out deathmarks to the other, Tenno appearing in a puff of smoke near Guardians in Darkness zones and Guardians transmatting in in threes when the Tenno are raiding the Corpus or Grineer.

Or they could just be engaging in PvP for kicks because both sides are functionally immortal, at which point whoever wins gets decried as being OP and nerfed so the other side can win ;)

You had me

Until you cried nerf lol.

Lets go with the latter option, as there are enough variables in this as is.  ;-)

I'd say Nyx's mind-hax is quite impressive, it can even override the Neural Sentry's gripe in Corrupted, and the Hivemind's strings on the Infested.

Also, regarding a Guardian's mobility, is Blink a FTE-movement akin to something like Corvo has in Dishonored, or a simple teleport? The Tenno themselves are bullet-timers, amplified by Volt/Zephyr, I'm sure that can at least pinpoint a Guardian's footing and mobility. If not, Ash/Loki can try tele-blitzing each other to a stalemate.

Still, I'd guess the victor can only be determined if this battle were to bound to certain rules/situation/circumstances. (Direct open combat? Guerilla warfare? Will the Tenno be able to eliminate their Ghosts?/Will the Guardians be able to destroy a Tenno's Oro?, etc)

Nothing with the name Blink will ever outdo Corvo's mobility in that matter lol. Corvo's teleport was the best ability ever... AND could be aimed.

Where does it stand that corpus shields and tenno shields are the same.

You think that they are the same that doesn´t make it a fact thought.

The later sentence is the exact same as in the tennoverse. The shield of tenno is due to their warframe technology that is powered by void energy. Void powers are esoteric. So is the light. If we now argue that both can´t touch each other we´re back at the start.

There are Corpus attacks that do immediate, excessive damage to your shields, if not drop them entirely.  The fact that they have attacks scientifically engineered to target a Tenno shield means that they have at least a modest understanding of the tech.

Also, Mag's abilities are stated as being magnetic in nature.  The fact that a singular ability of her's, Shield Polarize, simulataneously effects Corpus and Tenno shields, tha tmeans they are at least similar technologies.

In fact, considering the nature of the Corpus, it is very likely that they reverse-engineered their shields from Tenno tech, and just made a weaker, more easily produced version.

Nothing with the name Blink will ever outdo Corvo's mobility in that matter lol. Corvo's teleport was the best ability ever... AND could be aimed.

Blink can be aimed, it's just tricky.  It simply carries you in the direction of your current momentum.  It's not nearly as good as point, click, appear, but it gives ample mobility.

Edited by (PS4)Mewing_Raven