Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Amd Display Driver Has Stopped Responding And Has Recovered

Shadoca

Hello!

I recently built a new computer with considerably better hardware compared to my old one. Lately I've gotten the "AMD Display Driver Has Stopped Responding and Has Recovered", which means my game freezes, and once the driver recovers I can hear the sounds again, but the picture remains frozen. This is where I have to restart the game to be able to play again.

My older, weaker computer doesn't get this problem (although, it's running an Nvidia GPU) even when running several games at the same time, which means abhorrent FPS.

Any clue how to fix this? Here are my specs:

------------------
System Information
------------------
      Time of this report: 10/19/2015, 16:03:46
             Machine name: INKSTATION
         Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 10240) (10240.th1.150916-2039)
                 Language: Finnish (Regional Setting: Finnish)
      System Manufacturer: ASUS
             System Model: All Series
                     BIOS: 0401
                Processor: Intel® Core i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
                   Memory: 16384MB RAM
      Available OS Memory: 16324MB RAM
                Page File: 4071MB used, 14683MB available
              Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
          DirectX Version: 12
      DX Setup Parameters: Not found
         User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
       System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
          DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
                 Miracast: Not Available
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
           DxDiag Version: 10.00.10240.16384 64bit Unicode

I would try uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, but because, according to you, it's only warframe being affected by it, it's entirely possible it's just a compatibility issue with Warframe and the drivers. Still might be worth it to try reinstalling the drivers and possibly Warframe.

Can you try changing your Power Settings for Windows? That appears have to solved at least some TDR crashes for Nvidia users -- could prove useful for AMD.

More info:
https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/445599-game-crashes-nvidia-display-driver-april-2015/page-15#entry5746831

Edit: If the above does not work can you please submit a support ticket along with a copy of your DxDiag? 

Edited by DE_Dmitri

Hello!

I recently built a new computer with considerably better hardware compared to my old one. Lately I've gotten the "AMD Display Driver Has Stopped Responding and Has Recovered", which means my game freezes, and once the driver recovers I can hear the sounds again, but the picture remains frozen. This is where I have to restart the game to be able to play again.

My older, weaker computer doesn't get this problem (although, it's running an Nvidia GPU) even when running several games at the same time, which means abhorrent FPS.

Any clue how to fix this? Here are my specs:

------------------
System Information
------------------
      Time of this report: 10/19/2015, 16:03:46
             Machine name: INKSTATION
         Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 10240) (10240.th1.150916-2039)
                 Language: Finnish (Regional Setting: Finnish)
      System Manufacturer: ASUS
             System Model: All Series
                     BIOS: 0401
                Processor: Intel® Core i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
                   Memory: 16384MB RAM
      Available OS Memory: 16324MB RAM
                Page File: 4071MB used, 14683MB available
              Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
          DirectX Version: 12
      DX Setup Parameters: Not found
         User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
       System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
          DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
                 Miracast: Not Available
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
           DxDiag Version: 10.00.10240.16384 64bit Unicode

might sound like a silly question, but what kind of power supply are you using?

Same thing happens with Nvidia cards. It is most likely a psu issue, however, I can't guarantee without further testing. In my case 750W as well, and tested with 650W. Crash usually happens after five to six hours running in both cases. Any further information would be great!

Edited by cxll

I have had this issue before with my nvidia. I seem to have a much more stable system if  i use vertical sync rather than unlimited fps. It was crashing my game frequently for me. 

I did this a while ago. I have a high end AMD FirePro W series card and if I go unlimited FPS, I will sometimes get insanely high FPS. I monitored my temps and found that they were getting really high when that happened and occasionally therm tripping. With the ,vsync it has worked great and stayed cool.

Hi, I also have this problem on my laptop but I think I have found a way to fix it or at least make it least frequent:

Go to Control Panel, find Power Options, click Choose when to turn off the display, click Advanced power settings, scroll down to PCI Express then expand it and you'll see Link Power State Management, there are 2 options in there, you're gonna want to turn off those 2 options. I don't know if it's the same for desktop but I hope it helps

So if it's a PSU issue I'm getting it all of the sudden. In the last two weeks it went from shutting down the pc 1-in-3 to doing it every time.
 I have to cycle the actual power switch off, wait, and turn it back on before it will boot again.

I can't even play anymore and it's the only damn game that has this issue at all, ever.

Installing the standalone Warframe as opposed to the Steam version of it solved the problem for me. Now I can play with all the settings on without getting any crashes.

OMG!! IT WORKS!!! HAHAHAH I don't have to buy a new PSU!!

Just deleting it from Steam and downloading the one from the website...it logged in and didn't shut down the PC!!

So now DE should really look at what's causing that.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Little update -- Well it still shuts down my comp at the transition between loading -> login. Weird thing is that there's about a two second window where I can quickly Alt+F4 out and try again. If it works and I get to the login screen I can play just fine with no crashes. If it doesn't work all I see is the "Quit Game" tab pop up just before it shuts down. Hell, I'm typing this alt-tabbed out from the Liset and no problems.

I've spent the past week reinstalling/testing any game (on Steam) that's even slightly graphically intensive (Dead Space 1+2, Metro 2033 1+2, Mass Effect 1+2, Talos Principle, Rebel Galaxy, Farcry 3, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SoC/CoP, GTA IV, Civ 5, Dragon Age: Origins, Dead Island, Deus EX: HR, Divinity OS:EE, Anno 2070, Wargame ALB + Red Dragon, KSP, the list goes on) and nothing, they all launch and play just fine.

In 20+ years I've never, ever had a game just shut off the pc and after 1200+ hours of a pretty stable Warframe this started maybe a week prior to U17. So I'm at a loss.

Edited by Liquid262

• 2 weeks later...

So if it's a PSU issue I'm getting it all of the sudden. In the last two weeks it went from shutting down the pc 1-in-3 to doing it every time.

I have to cycle the actual power switch off, wait, and turn it back on before it will boot again.

I can't even play anymore and it's the only damn game that has this issue at all, ever.

So I really am not the only one who seemingly feels like this game started crapping on my all over specifically within the last two weeks when it was running perfectly just before that?

Are you using an AMD graphic card too?

This game and Chivalry are really the -only- ones where I personally get(on my end) this issue of display drivers crapping out on me whilst playing, and in Warframe's case that is really just a recent development that began to happen just around the time of Steam Workshop integration for the weirdest of coincidences.

Edited by Ludovsky

Are you using an AMD graphic card too?

I'm on an ancient Nvidia but the only issues I've ever really had were after a big update like U15 where it would hang while loading a mission. The last few weeks are something else entirely.

I mentioned elsewhere that I deleted everything and tried the standalone installer. When it's running default settings I can now login without having the power surge issue. Unless the launcher crashes which has never been a problem before but now it's about 50/50. The only thing I can do is walk around the Liset or open the menu. Closing the menu, opening the arsenal, looking at the starmap, it immediately crashes with a 553953 or 585405 error.

This is after a fresh reinstall from *yesterday.*  Last Friday, despite the power surge issue, I was able to login and play for several hours without incident.