[DE]Rebecca

Developer Workshop: Saryn Ability Rework

There are a lot of modding quirks with Saryn - the quick deadliness of her 'Miasma' depends on negative duration mods, which ultimately makes it tricky to get the best use out of the rest of her Abilities.

Which is the point of the 3 different config windows you give us, right?

Did you guys forget about this?

That you are not locked to one mod setup?

• Upvote 4

Can you please swap Venom and Contagion's names? I mean does the name Venom for her power one, an ability which does viral damage and SPREADS BY PUSS FILLED SPORES EXPLODING, Sound like venom? That sounds like a contagious disease. It's a simple change that makes the powers sound better when their name matches what they do.

But on a side note, will Saryn be getting any stat tweaks with this rework? More armor, hp, shields? Anything of the sort? When excal got his rework he got some stat tweaks along with it.

• Upvote 24

Also if you're like me and you've built your Saryn for Negative Duration to the maximum, I'll be trying some different builds/same builds on the Test environment like I did on the Devstream. I should have them up for viewing early next week if you're eager to take a look before you get your hands on the changes! If you have build requests, quote this with a screenshot of the build. I will accommodate what I can.

If it's possible i want to see how my build on saryn will work on the new one can you test it and show me how it's going to work ?

And also what arcane chlora will change in misama will it still add dmg or what ?

here is the link to Warframe builder website i hope you will try this max dmg miasma build.

http://goo.gl/wKCjgy

Need Confirmation on these:

Q. So does Negative duration Saryn only does one tick of damage instead of the 8k+ ticks?

"Damage ticks will be done every second, Duration will affect how long the debuff is up."

Contagion - can it be applied to all weapons and not only melee ?

"Guaranteed Toxin proc on melee hit."

"Damage output scales based on a percent of total damage of melee weapon with Mods, not base."

I'm betting it's only on melee. If anything, the venom spores are pop-able with guns :)

• Upvote 2

Also if you're like me and you've built your Saryn for Negative Duration to the maximum, I'll be trying some different builds/same builds on the Test environment like I did on the Devstream. I should have them up for viewing early next week if you're eager to take a look before you get your hands on the changes! If you have build requests, quote this with a screenshot of the build. I will accommodate what I can.

I'd like to see how something like this would perform. http://goo.gl/Fv6nBU

Not a screenshot, but I don't have the Forma on my Saryn to fit it.

If my thinking is correct, this should be a crazy strong build with the changes. Unsure about Contagion Cloud being super useful though, not sure if it procs what she needs.

Edited by Ruby_Rose_

try something like this please? http://goo.gl/1MMRYR

Also I'm worried that since you need duration, strength, and range mods for her to be effective, we won't be able to use corrupted mods without seriously hindering her builds.

Also any consideration on making contagion a toggle ability?

• Upvote 4

Yes very good indeed I may not understand a lilltle part but if you are making every ability useful than thats a great step to take. As my understanding venom creates viral and you need viral to deal more damage? That is quite the change and I love it! Now every ability will be worth using. Question to DE: Will you rework Nyx next? Since she already got her alterne skin I think she should get that rework. Personally I think psychic bolts are pretty useless. And mind control could get a touch along with absorb. I dont know thats just me maybe someone else thinks she is perfect as she is but I personaly dont use psychic bolts at all. And I suggest her next becasue well as I said she got the skin and frames that have skin should be tip top perfect.

Please look at her energy pool if these are going to be the changes implemented or even make contagion a channeled skill.

EDIT: I do like the changes tho, thank you!

Edited by Drizty
  • Upvote 4

I see some great changes in Saryn's future. Hopefully this will be able to pull her out of the "Press 4 to win" basket so she isn't just a 1 trick pony.

I look forward to trying her out when she is released to us :)

• Upvote 2

• Damage output scales based on a percent of total damage of melee weapon with Mods, not base.

a Final Multiplier addition for Toxin Damage is neato - but it is still an Ability that only effectively does one thing.

but, an improvement to everything overall. even if Ability Slot 3&4 are still very single purposed.

muh DoT's. glad to have even more of them. plus longer Status Effects, hehe. hopefully including things like Weapons :>

not to mention negative Duration should be pointless now - meaning that -Duration is actually a negative for most Players using Saryn, instead of a stat upgrade.

which i certainly won't complain about. a negative actually being a negative is good. having to consider all Mod Effects and either specialize or generalize different options makes for Mods being a choice, rather than an upgrade you do with your eyes closed.

Edited by taiiat
  • Upvote 3

It'll probably just check if there's any kind of toxin proc on an enemy, and if so, +100% damage. No bonuses for each stack of toxin procs, only get credit for one.

Imagined so, but well...former Game Master concerns I guess.

Molt

• Venom can be cast on Molt, infects units which attack Molt.
  • Miasma cast in range of Molt will feed into Molt, creating more damage on explosion.

Can molt get some more love? It is her only Defensive ability that isnt even good as snow globe or other damage reduction abilities like Link. It is just too fast breaking in higher levels.

Can Molt get 4 seconds invulnerability and some damage scalling like Snow Globe have?

Saryn was my Second frame after Frost so I would really like to love her again. And I really think that Defensive abilities are the most helping abilities in the game.

Edited by IfritKajiTora
  • Upvote 7

Imagined so, but well...former Game Master concerns I guess.

i think it'll be obvious within 30 minutes of deployment if that's a problem, you'll have videos and screenshots of Saryn piling Toxin Status and Killing Lv#### Enemies in less time than it takes Players to Kill lv### Enemies with 4 Players working together.

Finally! I can't wait to see it.

It's not clear to me from your description whether the Miasma duration mechanic is changed. On the new re-work, does negative duration condense all of the total damage of Miasma to a single tick like it does now? Or was this changed so that Miasma is purely DOT now, thus by reducing duration, you reduce total damage?

• Upvote 2

Will Saryn be receiving a buff to her base energy levels as well? With all of this synergy being applied to her powers, I can see her powers being pretty regularly cast, especially since she will be Duration and Strength focused so Fleeting Expertise won't be as good on her as it is currently. She seems to have the most synergy between her powers out of all of the frames that have gotten reworked so far, which I'm really a fan of.

Edited by DawnoftheWhiteFury
  • Upvote 11

Rebecca, does damage for Miasma still scale inversely with duration? If not, and players are encouraged to use more duration, instead of less, how does Saryn's energy pool fair?

I mean, casting Contaigion, then Venom, then melee attacking, to proc toxin and viral, then using Miamsa sounds cool and all, but at it's base, this costs 200 energy to pull off. Without a substantial energy pool, or really high efficiency, Saryn just won't be able to keep up this combo for very long.

• Upvote 12

meehhh contagion is still just a melee ability... doesnt feel right or worth.

• Upvote 4

-chokes on a spore- did i not only see base damage improved twice but a possible 300% damage on maisma plus melee scaling on contagion? 

• Upvote 1

Finally! I can't wait to see it.

It's not clear to me from your description whether the Miasma duration mechanic is changed. On the new re-work, does negative duration condense all of the total damage of Miasma to a single tick like it does now? Or was this changed so that Miasma is purely DOT now, thus by reducing duration, you reduce total damage?

It is simply 1 tick per second no matter how long it is so negative duration get very very little out of the ability but then again poison so you know kinda how it should be right?

So, I'm slightly confused if anything.

Will Negative duration builds still be a thing?