Steam Workshop Launch + Faq!

The files for the Liset are to make new skins with.  The won't work by default in the viewer.  The files in the "example" series of zips are will work in the viewer.  If you already have a custom tintmask that you've made and are experiencing problems please read the texturing guide in the help tab to see if it covers the issue.

What's the best program to use for making the tintmask? I tried GIMP and I can't seem to get it to work in GIMP (and that's based on following the guide).

Things are still a little bit confusing. Can I get a simple yes or no answer?

From what I understand user made skins will be available to purchase through steam interface for real world money, not in the in game market for platinum. Is that correct?

Edited by Esio_g

I've really reaaaally been looking forward to this. Can't wait to have some time to dump into some content! And I am MEGA looking forward to custom helmet sculpts. 

Oooooh, crap. Syncrasis is in on it. Competition just got real guys. Hold on to your butts.

In all seriousness, I can wait to start posting things! Thanks so much DE for doing this!

so the normal maps wont distort or something :O

You just summed up a good chunk of the craft in one sentence :).  This 17 page thread on Polycount goes over a lot of the gotchas http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81154

https://warframe.com/steamworkshop/help/index.php?page=some-reasons-for-rejection

Technical limitations:

• IE:
    • Many small lines that look bad in game (IE: For a skin).
    • Polycounts that are too high
    • Sounds recorded too low

WOAH, so , custom Ship Cephalons are coming too?

Possible.  Definitely not any time soon, but sounds are an option via Valve's platform, but we don't have any immediate plans for sounds.

My worst fears have been realized- There will be no way to get this stuff with platinum in game, so if I really really love any of these creations- I'm completely out of luck in getting it...

We are working on that.  We won't have an option for the first release, but we do intend to get the Tennogen stuff out to all Tenno as soon as we can.

What's the best program to use for making the tintmask? I tried GIMP and I can't seem to get it to work in GIMP (and that's based on following the guide).

I use Substance Painter for most of mine now (really awesome texturing program if you go fairly hardcore with this).  I used Photoshop for years in advance of that and it does a perfectly good job.

I guess my question with GIMP is how it saves the alpha channels in PNG.  PNG is a tricky file format, and we use the superpng plugin I linked in the docs http://www.fnordware.com/superpng/.  Does GIMP load PS plugins for file formats?  That might help.  Otherise I really don't know... never used Gimp.  Perhaps Krita would work?

Do i need to install warframe through steam now? :C

Not at all.  Tennogen app and Warframe are completely separate programs.

We are working on that.  We won't have an option for the first release, but we do intend to get the Tennogen stuff out to all Tenno as soon as we can.

Ah! Wonderful! I misunderstood what the OP meant when discussing this it seems. Thanks a lot for the clarification!

-snip-

Can we get Saryn model for Syandana fitting?

Yes.....yes, please. I've had to just guess on a lot of my 3D mockups and it's really hard to judge just how big her shoulders are.

-snip-

By the way,Where can i download or use the program to design items?

Uhh, well you can get the Warframe app used to preview skins on Steam. However a lot of programs used to make the skins aren't free such as Zbrush, Photoshop, nDo, Maya, and Modo. There are free alternatives like Blender or Gimp, but you might need to go digging to find some more.

[43Kk9o1.png

please some 1 make this skin ill pay anything for it @_@

Well, right now I think everyone is limited to just modifying the existing warframe model's texture. Meaning... no drastic geometry changes. Anything like those free-hanging tubes and belts that don't exist on the base model, won't be possible at the moment.

However changing a normal map can do a lot to drastically change a model. Basically a normal map is how an engine reads light data over a surface. When you put slight creases or divots into a normal map, reflected light casts shadows and highlights in that area and simulates detail in the geometry that isn't actually there. It's also how Warframe can get away with fairly low geo characters, because the normal map carries the detail of the high poly sculpted model.

The problem is that you can't actually change the models just the textures n stuff.

Some people can use it for Inspiration and taxt it in another direction, without editing the Model.

On A side note, Does anyone know how the cretors will be receiving a Transaction payment, Is it Steam Wallet, is it Straight to your Payment account (i.e. Bank if its debit, or Paypal, etc)

Edited by Demonfr34k

Some people can use it for Inspiration and taxt it in another direction, without editing the Model.

On A side note, Does anyone know how the cretors will be receiving a Transaction payment, Is it Steam Wallet, is it Straight to your Payment account (i.e. Bank if its debit, or Paypal, etc)

Plats, i think?

The problem is that you can't actually change the models just the textures n stuff.

A guy said in widdit that you can make the illusion on textures to make it look like the model is changed in some ways...

I know absolutely nothing about these mechs & Google maps (or even that Peanut butter rendering), but I still believe them... :p

Plats, i think?

A guy said in widdit that you can make the illusion on textures to make it look like the model is changed in some ways...

I know absolutely nothing about these mechs & Google maps (or even that Peanut butter rendering), but I still believe them... :p

Nope they said its real profit, Not Platinum

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

How much will I make?

If your skin is chosen, you will make 30% of each sale. This 30% is a percentage of the cash transaction, not Platinum Currency.