Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Steam Workshop Launch + Faq!

[DE]Rebecca

Ah.  The luminance of the diffuse does impact the ability to colour it when we use it in engine -- that is why I talk about keeping it around 128 grey for non-metals in the help docs.  Will see if Jeremy or Steve can explain it on a more complete / technical basis.

Ah ok will double check this, I was looking at the excalibur model and tried not going any darker then that. but ill double check!

Hello,

i am not able to find the Tool in Steam, it doesn't give me any search results for 'Warframe TennoGen' and i dont know how to search for an App ID in my Steam Client. Am i doing something wrong or is it not available atm?

(only copy-pasted Warframe TennoGen into my search bar in my steam client's shop)

I hope some1 can help me out. :)

Please see the installation notes in this thread: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/552052-steam-workshop-warframe-tennogen-tool/

DESizzlingCalamari

So does this mean that every single skin that edits the helmet will be rejected? Because 1) that would mean that every single excalibur skin would be rejected, and 2) that would be very disappointing. The best warframe skins right now are ones that also edit helmets. Not only that, but it makes absolutely zero sense to allow us to use PBR shaders for our skins, or even edit normal maps, seeing that, if we do so, they wont match up with any of the existing helmets. And, following that, it then makes absolutely zero sense to even include the ability to edit the helmet textures in TennoGen. Please reconsider this, and go with helmets in addition to bodies. Because right now, as I and probably many others feel, it's pointless to create a new warframe skin if we're going to be limited to only bodies.

I would imagine that after the first round or two they'll give us the alternate helmets to use and may allow us to edit the textures for those. The problem with a full body (and head) retexture is that it has to work with all the helmets which means that each alternate will need a texture to make sure it complies. As is, it's not ideal for full themes, but you can still do a great deal with the body. (it also kinda railroads people into fitting the "Warframe" theme for now, which is a plus).

I would imagine that after the first round or two they'll give us the alternate helmets to use and may allow us to edit the textures for those. The problem with a full body (and head) retexture is that it has to work with all the helmets which means that each alternate will need a texture to make sure it complies. As is, it's not ideal for full themes, but you can still do a great deal with the body. (it also kinda railroads people into fitting the "Warframe" theme for now, which is a plus).

I dont care about alt helmets right now. But, if we're restricted from skinning helmets (which pretty much everyone has done up to this point), then any body skin with PBR wont match with the existing helmets, which would make using PBR, particularly PBR metal, utterly useless and pointless because default and alt helmets already in the game don't have PBR metal. Which then begs the question: Why let us give our skins PBR in the first place? Why even let us manipulate normal maps if our manipulations won't match with helmets? Honestly, why aren't we just editing tint masks? Because nothing we do will match with the existing helmets anyway. That's my problem with being restricted to body skins. We can't be creative with our skins if we have to match the existing helmets, and we have to match existing helmets if we're not allowed to create skins for helmets (and I'm just talking the default helmets included with TennoGen). There's no point taking advantage of the majority of assets we're given if the body skins that make use of and manipulate these various skins have to match the current ingame helmets that don't make use of the features like PBR.

Ah ok will double check this, I was looking at the excalibur model and tried not going any darker then that. but ill double check!

Most of the colorable space on Excal is within a very small margin of 128/50%. Uncolorable portions are much darker, however.

This yep.

I dont care about alt helmets right now. But, if we're restricted from skinning helmets (which pretty much everyone has done up to this point), then any body skin with PBR wont match with the existing helmets, which would make using PBR, particularly PBR metal, utterly useless and pointless because default and alt helmets already in the game don't have PBR metal. Which then begs the question: Why let us give our skins PBR in the first place? Why even let us manipulate normal maps if our manipulations won't match with helmets? Honestly, why aren't we just editing tint masks? Because nothing we do will match with the existing helmets anyway. That's my problem with being restricted to body skins. We can't be creative with our skins if we have to match the existing helmets, and we have to match existing helmets if we're not allowed to create skins for helmets (and I'm just talking the default helmets included with TennoGen). There's no point taking advantage of the majority of assets we're given if the body skins that make use of and manipulate these various skins have to match the current ingame helmets that don't make use of the features like PBR.

Well articulated points.  We do plan to convert all the WF over, so that should not be an issue in the fullness of time.  I just grabbed a copy of Exc (w/ a PBR body) and put a blinn-phong head and it's not immersion breaking.

That said we definitely don't plan to arbitrarily DQ entries that are helmet and body both, and will find out what we can do for helmet + body skin implementation.  

This yep.

Well articulated points.  We do plan to convert all the WF over, so that should not be an issue in the fullness of time.  I just grabbed a copy of Exc (w/ a PBR body) and put a blinn-phong head and it's not immersion breaking.

That said we definitely don't plan to arbitrarily DQ entries that are helmet and body both, and will find out what we can do for helmet + body skin implementation.  

I'm confused about this whole helmet thing. I asked DESteve if you guys could consider allowing us to make skins for the helmets and he said this:

"this is definitely coming - you can also skin the helmets of the existing released ones"

So, needless to say, I'm really confused regarding this whole helmets/no-helmets thing.

Personally I think just letting people submit body at this time could be a good thing. will force people to actually consider the rest of the universe and the art and make sure it "fits"..

Again, that essentially means that we can't take advantage of PBR shaders or normal maps, which essentially makes most of the TennoGen tool useless when it comes to making skins. It's not really a good thing. It's not immersion breaking, but it does look odd to have a PBR body and non-PBR helmet, or vice-versa. DE can still choose skins based on whether or not they fit the Warframe aesthetic even with having body+helmet skins, but because most of the current helmets don't actually use PBR, content creators are extremely limited in the skins that we can make if we're required to make skins that fit with the existing assets.

Oh.

Nuts.

I was hoping there would be a tool(s) for letting me help DE make some missions and mission content.

Maybe I just didn't look hard enough?

There is currently no process for making your own maps and missions (or quests). You can only make what has already been said in the opening post.

Which are:

The following Weapon Skins will be open for TennoGen design submissions:
Mag Warframe: Skin (texture)
Volt Warframe: Skin (texture)
Excalibur Warframe: Skin (texture)
Sybaris Rifle: Skin (texture)
Gorgon Rifle: Skin (texture)
Amprex Rifle: Skin (texture)
Original Warframe Cape/Syandana. (sculpt and texture).
Liset (personal Ship): Skin (texture).
Mantis (personal Ship): Skin (texture).

For those of us making Syandanas, do you want us to combine all the meshes in to one object or leave it be.  For example the syandana I'm currently working on has 6 separate objects. Should I leave it be or should I compile them together for fewer texture files?

Link to my progress thread for connivence: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/551958-issuns-syandana-workshop/

There is currently no process for making your own maps and missions (or quests). You can only make what has already been said in the opening post.

Which are:

The following Weapon Skins will be open for TennoGen design submissions:
Mag Warframe: Skin (texture)
Volt Warframe: Skin (texture)
Excalibur Warframe: Skin (texture)
Sybaris Rifle: Skin (texture)
Gorgon Rifle: Skin (texture)
Amprex Rifle: Skin (texture)
Original Warframe Cape/Syandana. (sculpt and texture).
Liset (personal Ship): Skin (texture).

You left off the Mantis.

I have one question for DE Staff about this, it's awesome but can we submit a design again later if it doesn't win? It can take quite some work and effort to make something and it feels like that would be wasted if you don't win. Can those other quality skins still get in as free skins? I don't really care about the cut of sales, bragging rights/winning or any of that, it's just the effort to do this and then just to lose and discard a lot of time and work would be a shame.

I have one question for DE Staff about this, it's awesome but can we submit a design again later if it doesn't win? It can take quite some work and effort to make something and it feels like that would be wasted if you don't win. Can those other quality skins still get in as free skins? I don't really care about the cut of sales, bragging rights/winning or any of that, it's just the effort to do this and then just to lose and discard a lot of time and work would be a shame.

Good Question. We'll have a comprehensive answer on Friday Afternoon. November 6 is when we go over submissions to decide on the first batch for release on the Steam Market. We will come up with an answer and plan for your question at that November 6 meeting.

Good Question. We'll have a comprehensive answer on Friday Afternoon. November 6 is when we go over submissions to decide on the first batch for release on the Steam Market. We will come up with an answer and plan for your question at that November 6 meeting.

I have a question regarding the 30% cut  those who do win get, Is it directed to their steam wallet or their payment method i.e. Paypal, or Bank account.

I have a question regarding the 30% cut  those who do win get, Is it directed to their steam wallet or their payment method i.e. Paypal, or Bank account.

Since Steam requires you to fill out bank account information, I'd assume that Steam will wire money directly to your savings or checking account (whichever account number you gave them).

Archived