Steam Workshop Launch + Faq!

[DE]Rebecca

• 4 weeks later...

I've got a question! I've noticed that Zephyr And Mesa have some moving parts on the helmet, what's the policy for things like that? Can i create an alt helmet with a single or multiple moving parts or cloth simulation parts? This is something that will fit particularly well with some Warframe if not abused so it will be cool i was allowed to make something like that. I can rig it myself if needed but i need to know if you need some particular bone order (or number limitation) for that or something similar because i obviously have no knowledge of the Evolution Engine and how you handle this particular cases.

I've got a question! I've noticed that Zephyr And Mesa have some moving parts on the helmet, what's the policy for things like that? Can i create an alt helmet with a single or multiple moving parts or cloth simulation parts? This is something that will fit particularly well with some Warframe if not abused so it will be cool i was allowed to make something like that. I can rig it myself if needed but i need to know if you need some particular bone order (or number limitation) for that or something similar because i obviously have no knowledge of the Evolution Engine and how you handle this particular cases.

Moving parts will have to be handled by our riggers.  Ideally the fewer moving elements the better, but if it's a compelling part of the design and simple (IE: The two ponytails on Zephyr) we would be able to do that.  Unfortunately it is a blurry line.  The Sari Syandana is cool and doesn't look that complex, but it doesn't fit our existing pipeline.  Without any existing systems setup to handle it that makes it a larger investment to get done.

Definitely want to avoid "one off" elements etc.  

Note you should include a very clear diagram of what you have in mind.  If you don't want to have it as part of your Workshop page include it in the Tennogen zip.

The Sari Syandana is cool and doesn't look that complex, but it doesn't fit our existing pipeline.  Without any existing systems setup to handle it that makes it a larger investment to get done.

So the Sari Syandana is a no-go then? 

Shelved forever or just indefinitely?

Straight up question. At what point in the design process do you tell people off for doing something that is not allowed?

Or do you leave that to the community?

Example. I do a Arthas Death Knight skin for Frost. The whole forum loves it. But it cannot happen.

What's the standard procedure?

Straight up question. At what point in the design process do you tell people off for doing something that is not allowed?

Or do you leave that to the community?

Example. I do a Arthas Death Knight skin for Frost. The whole forum loves it. But it cannot happen.

What's the standard procedure?

Surely that's simply "when someone notices" just like the skins that used random images from the internet without permission. Using trademarked designs or derivative works from another work under copyright where the submitter does not have permission is a breach of the Tennogen/Workshop EULA, it's the responsibility of the uploader to not do that in the first place.

Arch111 has a point but i see his question in a different way. Some works may not be accepted for internal technical reasons (ex: sari syandana) or for not being quite on point with the art direction of the game, and that's perfectly normal. But i feel like if a workshop submission reaches a certain approval by the community DE should at least give some indication why that submission cannot be accepted as it is so that the author is able to make those changes and adjustments and maybe be accepted.

It may sound like a lot of work but it's not, there are not a ton of submissions that gets a lot of approval by the community and are at the same time in line with the actual game art direction but they lack something (like a detail pass) or they are technically too much time consuming for DE (sari syandana). Right now it feels like some good work by some talented people might get lost in the limbo of lack of communication and even if i understand the problems it seems like something that needs to be embraced as part of the Tennogen system for a more healthy and stable content creators community.

Moving parts will have to be handled by our riggers.  Ideally the fewer moving elements the better, but if it's a compelling part of the design and simple (IE: The two ponytails on Zephyr) we would be able to do that.  Unfortunately it is a blurry line.  The Sari Syandana is cool and doesn't look that complex, but it doesn't fit our existing pipeline.  Without any existing systems setup to handle it that makes it a larger investment to get done.

Definitely want to avoid "one off" elements etc.  

Note you should include a very clear diagram of what you have in mind.  If you don't want to have it as part of your Workshop page include it in the Tennogen zip.

So, if the Sari Syandana doesn't fit your existing pipeline, why was it selected in the first place? Are you guys not the ones who make the selections?

So, if the Sari Syandana doesn't fit your existing pipeline, why was it selected in the first place? Are you guys not the ones who make the selections?

Because the community staff are not the programming staff. They can pick the best, and pass it on to be integrated, but they won't necessarily know the specifics of what can and can't be done.

Because the community staff are not the programming staff. They can pick the best, and pass it on to be integrated, but they won't necessarily know the specifics of what can and can't be done.

Well, it'd probably be better if the people who "know the specifics of what can and can't be done" made selections. That way, there'd be no doubt.

Well, it'd probably be better if the people who "know the specifics of what can and can't be done" made selections. That way, there'd be no doubt.

I feel like the content creators should know what can and can't be done before even doing it though, it's a waste of resources otherwise, i mean, it's way better for everybody (players, content creators and programmers) spending a month or more doing an item that could actually be implemented in the game than spending it doing something that who knows if.

So the safest thing to do is to work within the confines of what works currently in game, that way there's no wasted resources.

This is of course on the technical side and not the art side.

True. But the Guides are limited to say the least.

It's madness to have people create content only to be rejected at the last stage. That is not a good system.

ok, but are the skins/helms going to be added to consoles?

When they have a good system for it. It seems tricky to sell content in a Steam-way to consoles, probably due to legal issues.

I feel like the content creators should know what can and can't be done before even doing it though, it's a waste of resources otherwise, i mean, it's way better for everybody (players, content creators and programmers) spending a month or more doing an item that could actually be implemented in the game than spending it doing something that who knows if.

This is exactly my point.

I wish DE would dedicate at least 1 person to check the forums once a day/week to reply to as many threads as possible with criticism, or at least indicate "you're doing fine" or "needs more work". Maybe I'm just spoiled from Plantside 2's Player Studio.

That kind of task can only be managed by an art director or lead artist and it will take too much time for one of those figures to do it.

All they gotta do is check for new posts, look the thread/post over, and post a comment one time per day/week. It'd take 5 minutes at most.

Like, artist A just wakes up, smashes their alarm, copters to DE headquarters, opens Warframe.com, looks over all the new posts in the tennogen forum, posts a comment or two, then goes about the rest of their day. 

Seems like you don't have an accurate idea on how much time it's needed to give accurate art directions to reach the high quality standard that DE is working at. This is a task that will take tons of time, it's probably harder than directing a team that you have direct contact with. You're not taking in consideration a huge amount of variables too, things like personalities, qualifications and skills, follow ups to keep track of and there are more. It's certainly not a task that takes 5 minutes believe me.

Seems like you don't have an accurate idea on how much time it's needed to give accurate art directions to reach the high quality standard that DE is working at. This is a task that will take tons of time, it's probably harder than directing a team that you have direct contact with. You're not taking in consideration a huge amount of variables too, things like personalities, qualifications and skills, follow ups to keep track of and there are more. It's certainly not a task that takes 5 minutes believe me.

If you've ever seen Player Studio, the comments left by the official staff were at most "looks good" or "sharpen the top" or "too round". You're thinking too far into what I am asking.

Edit: also,

Seems like you don't have an accurate idea 

Do you know me? Because that's a massive assumption about me that you're making there, bud.

I would make it even simpler. Before submitting anything to steam every thing is first submitted to DE_Evaluation.

By going of a checklist of OK and NO the submission is either given the Go Ahead, or is denied with a reason given from the checklist.

Is this work for some people? Yesnof course it is, probably the very same people who today do exactly this but at a much later date.

If I invest time and finish something that is then rejected because of a checklist only DE have, that would be a sure way to kill all my interest in tennogen for good.

I don't want it to come to that.

All DE needs to do is to include ALL of their selection criteria in their guide. If they'd just do that, be up front about it, and actually follow their own guide when making selections (for some reason, they don't do this), then it'd be clear which submissions would be eligible for selection and which won't.

Archived