Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Rng Vs. Tokens (Vote!)

MyXmaN

i think a hybrid of both would be fantastic. rng would stay the same however each duplicate blueprint could be deconstructed into materials or tokens that could then be turned into the blueprint that you need essentially putting a cap on the amount of grinding you would have to do. i imagine the cap would be somewhere around 30 runs worth of loot.

I'm going to break down my opinion into little sections, I have a feeling this will be quite detailed. I see lots of condemnation of a token system, and I'd just like to share my thoughts about the proposals here!

RNG:

RNG can work, if it's refined the loot tables are adjusted. However, the point still stands it's RNG. There is no control, there is no grantee of satisfaction, no sure sign that your effort will pay off. If a player only has two hours to log into Warframe on any given day after work, and wants to wind down, He/She would like to know those two hours are spent working towards the carrot that they are guaranteed to get  at some point or another. Even if that progress is a long term goal. The problem with RNG, is that if you do it long enough you will most likely get what you want---but there is no visable sign of progress.

Say I'm grinding for parts to build a warframe? True with RNG my task might be complete within my first few runs but the chances of that are very unlikely.  Furthermore, alert rewards can be frustratingly unfair. If I look at Warframe alerts and see a Catalyst, Reactor, or Vauban part drop when I'm not able to get to it? Well, that's a form of torture I wouldn't wish on anyone!

RNG should still be in the game by all means. For material drops, possible blueprint drops, but it needs to be refined and worked on. RNG shouldn't be removed; it instead needs to feel less like a shot in the dark and more like an exciting gambit!

Tokens:

With tokens the grind is still there, the repetition is still there! But with the additive of certain victory if you keep repeating it enough. A player might have to make 20 runs in order to get all the tokens they need to flatly buy the item they are looking for. But hey, they know  "I will get it."  I can spend that two hours I get to myself and know for certain that I have made progress---Progress that I can see.  Will it take me more than just that evening? Well yes. Certainly. But seeing my progress helps keep me spurred on. For example, I might go and kill the Jackal. He might drop 1-3 tokens each run, which I could then horde to purchase Jackal token specific items.

Dailys:

The implementation of some solo-daily content would be a good way to to supplement the Alert system. If I were predisposed while an alert was going on for an item I wanted? Well bummer. But at least I still have my daily that could reward me with the items, blue prints, or tokens for said items that I seek. This would lend me the personal satisfaction that even though I missed out what it was I wanted, that maybe not today but someday I'll have done enough dailys to still earn it at a controlled pace. A pace slow enough that it doesn't break the income potential for DE.

Alerts are fun! I like them, I like checking for alerts. But missing them, especially rare crucial ones, never feels good! And we all have lives, and we all have to sleep at some point, it is inevitable the disappointment will reach us!

Credits, Platinum, Tokens, in relation to progression:

We're sitting on tons of Credits with little to do with them at a certain point beyond fusion and pouring them into Dojo construction and research!

More to do with our credits could possible add to or even subvert a token system. While I literally have almost no money to throw around because I'm on a very limited disability income, getting by on the skin of my teeth, I am a person who is much more likely to spend Platinum I can afford on rare occasions by unlocking features and buying things with zero or close to zero probability to drop in game such as slots, potatos, illusive Warframes, cosmetic detials(eventually), and convenience of life features and options. Right now, well, it's slots mostly! As much as I'd like to get my hands on some more color palettes.

Blueprints? Yes. I will purchase those! But Items and weapons? Not so much---not even for credits, let alone plats. For me half of the fun of the game is collecting the mats, collecting the blue prints, and throwing it all together and then leveling those weapons for mastery points! Like I mentioned with the token system, having that illusion of a sense of progression is what keeps a lot of players coming back, and this is true for any game! Knowing I constructed this or that is very important to me.

With all that in mind, I think that credits could be used for more. For example, of Catalyst/Reactor blueprints were made available to us for an absurd amount of credits and/or tokens like one or even a couple million credits? That's something I could see myself grinding for while I save my plats for my slots and eventually one of those expensive palette packs! It's there--it's within reach--but the option is there to buy it flat out for those who want it immediately or do not have the time to allocate towards grinding. There is also the option to rush it if the player so desires!

Edited by Rudette

I do not want a token system.

I actually enjoy a small aspect of the random system.

It allows me to do everything at once and slowly gain access to content and sometimes get a pleasant surprise.

The negative side I dislike is the brief period an alert is available.

As for farming frame parts, maybe the hybrid method is better.

The token method is too dry for me.