Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can We Submit A Fully Modelled Warframe?

Kapitro

I am a 3d Student and i fell in love with this game and just wanted to make a model based on the game!
BUT after seeing tennogen i really wanted to submit a full modelled warframe! Please Dev team, i would love to see my frame in the game. :) 
I am about 1/3 in to modelling it at the moment, I can even provide some pictures (to the dev only obviously).

Thanks!!

No, I don't think it would be ever possible. From what I've heard the most they'll ever allow is custom-model skins that won't require any extra rigging work.

You could model a Syandana right now and possibly other cosmetic items in the future, though.

But at some point they will put in a new frame at some point right? 

I think it could be possible 

I personally think this is a brilliant idea, players creating actual warframes. Although some issues may occur here. As far as I can see, the Tennos will start creating Warframes so fast that the game itself won't have a chance to expand, which poses the question, how will you get the warframe? Would it only be Platinum based, would it be farmable, where then. And then on top of that are the model animations and custom/unique powers of the newly created warframe. And on top of that, from the TennoGen topic, they would all have to be superb quality in order to be chosen to be put in the game to begin with.

Personally, I would love this to actually happen, but it's not unreasonable to assume that it wouldn't happen due to so many more things that would be required to put a fully functional warframe into the game.

I personally think this is a brilliant idea, players creating actual warframes. Although some issues may occur here. As far as I can see, the Tennos will start creating Warframes so fast that the game itself won't have a chance to expand, which poses the question, how will you get the warframe? Would it only be Platinum based, would it be farmable, where then. And then on top of that are the model animations and custom/unique powers of the newly created warframe. And on top of that, from the TennoGen topic, they would all have to be superb quality in order to be chosen to be put in the game to begin with.

Personally, I would love this to actually happen, but it's not unreasonable to assume that it wouldn't happen due to so many more things that would be required to put a fully functional warframe into the game.

See i am not looking to make a profit out of this. I would gladly have them just mention/credit me. other than that im happy for them to use my work

It's not about the warframe, it's about the game balance.

Don't make it another mastery fodder.

I do play the game so i am thinking of what the game is missing in terms of ability wise, most frames are on the extremes of a few types but there haven't been a pure pure speed type, and yes there is Volt which provides speed buffs, more over i have noticed that the design of each frame does not really tell you about their abilities aside from a few EG: Excalibur, Volt even Loki. they tell you very little about what they are about based on appearance alone. sure they have the generic body build which tells you whether they are more of a tank or ability base but not tell you they exact type which they are. For example, i expected volt to have more rods or shafts protruding out of the body and while there are some antenna like protrusions from the head and knees, it dosen't say electricity to me.

I don't think you can for the Workshop stuff. Believe we can only submit textures unless it's the syandana because the goal is to get it to work on the current mesh rather than be another Premium Model.

No, I don't think it would be ever possible. From what I've heard the most they'll ever allow is custom-model skins that won't require any extra rigging work.

You could model a Syandana right now and possibly other cosmetic items in the future, though.

I haven't seen it directly from the devs, but someone mentioned somewhere they may be considering allowing player made meshes for frames and weapons one day. But as I said, I haven't seen anyone from DE say it so not sure how true that is.

Edited by Ceryk

If they ever allowed custom models, they would have to be purely cosmetic (like the deluxe skins). To make a full custom Warframe, you'd have to be hired into the character modeling team lol. There's nothing stopping you from doing it anyway and maybe plugging it into UE4 or something.

Even for deluxe skins, it might be a bit of a hassle to add because of rigging/animation/general modeling constraints issues that a player wouldn't possibly be able to balance without the support of the rest of DE's art/animation teams (though they may do this eventually), but it was mentioned in the main thread that they might expand to custom helmets someday. That's what I'm looking forward to! Good luck with your modeling work!

Since it's so new, I'm sure they're starting out small and building up. Personally I wouldn't hold my breath for fully custom models though (my own speculation here)

Edited by Syncrasis

Directly from the steam workshop guide (which no one seems to have read):

"Skinning for the name of the game!  These skins allow Tenno to heavily modify the look of their Warframes and unify their customization schemes in unique ways.  These skins only affect the bodies of the characters, but you should take the helmets into consideration as you are designing. "

If they ever allowed custom models, they would have to be purely cosmetic (like the deluxe skins). To make a full custom Warframe, you'd have to be hired into the character modeling team lol. There's nothing stopping you from doing it anyway and maybe plugging it into UE4 or something.

Even for deluxe skins, it might be a bit of a hassle to add because of rigging/animation/general modeling constraints issues that a player wouldn't possibly be able to balance without the support of the rest of DE's art/animation teams (though they may do this eventually), but it was mentioned in the main thread that they might expand to custom helmets someday. That's what I'm looking forward to! Good luck with your modeling work!

Since it's so new, I'm sure they're starting out small and building up. Personally I wouldn't hold my breath for fully custom models though (my own speculation here)

See Applying a rig to a model isn't the hardest part of the model in most cases, it generally textures or animation. but most 3d effects artist learn both as core subjects from uni/college

no i dont think that u would need to be hired to be able to implement a fan model if it they give consent for them to use it, besides if they become a massive company, the chances for them to even need a more frames is even lower as the number of frame designs in progress which is story linked would be too great, so in my opinion, this is the time to be making fan made models

Why not?, it opens the gates for everything imagine the Digital Extremes animator is on extreme heavy load, he has been stressed when i saw him in the devstream, many things to fix in animations and models, he have everything in his shoulder with (asking many things to the animator), i'm with the extra hand for him.

You're not alone!

Best regards for the Digital Extremes employees!

Fair enough, yeah, valid points about rigging/animation/etc. If someone really can fit the theme and model/rig/animate it to fit in the game, well if it works it works. I guess I kind of struggle with the whole "making important, game-changing content start to finish for a game you do not own rights to/are not employed as a team member on" thing. Skins and cosmetics, sure! Full-up player characters? I don't know man! Feels weird to me.

Guess it's more of a personal opinion though! It's all up to DE in the end.

[edit] You know what, I'm just going to be excited for anything they decide to do. Screw technicalities. Good luck with everything you're trying to achieve with your projects and I hope they get in the game!

Edited by Syncrasis

See i am not looking to make a profit out of this. I would gladly have them just mention/credit me. other than that im happy for them to use my work

I understand your point of view completely and I agree with it, but there is always going to be that one "but" (butt lulz). We don't know their company policies, the legal processes of obtianing new content from outside the company and all the other hassle. Personally, I would do the same thing. I'd create content, help them fix things if possible and do basically everything.

But, would it be worth it on their end? I mean, sure, it would be a huge relief when someone else would do some of the work and leave the dev's with the really important parts, but would they be allowed to do that? Maybe the DEV's and CM's like this idea but the producer(s) say "no" and there is nothing anyonce can do.

There is still the issue of trademarks, IP's, copyrights and all of that which might make it just not worth it, cause remember, there are a lot of Tenno's out there.

But, here is to hoping.

Edited by (XB1)FatherlyDom

• 3 weeks later...

No, you're not allowed to submit fully personalized warframe models currently, it's in DE's TennoGen guide.

If in the future they deiced to change this it's entirely up to DE.

If you have any questions on what is and isn't allowed refer to this guide https://warframe.com/steamworkshop/help/

Dw i asked in Devstream 62 when i spamed them untill they answered

Sorry for asking, but why not show us your ideas? I know you might be trying to protect your intellectual property and all, but it might help to garner the support of the community to get DE to pay attention to you. If your ideas are great, chances are you won't even need Steam Workshop.

making your own warframe that you actually want to be added to the game but not currently allowed to submit through Tennogen?

probably because it would have to be rigged and right now tennogen only supports static models.

the rigging may also need tweaked a few times to make sure it animates properly.

In theory you could rig it yourself, if you knew what to name the bones, which way the model needs to be facing and whether the root bone needs to be between the feet or in the middle of the model, different games have different needs in those regards.

To get the best result and make sure that it deforms properly during animation it would likely have to be rigged manually, maybe you could then save it as an fbx file, but you would have to find another way of sending it to D.E. as i do not know if Tennogen will even be able to upload it to Steam Workshop with out having first having the model and textures loaded into tennogen.

OP, keep working on it unless a dev says no. Don't listen to the haters on here or the players who think that they've played Warframe long enough that they count as staff or something pretentious like that.

Keep doing what you're doing, even if they won't take it as part of Tennogen, you can still use it as a fan concept.