Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Corpus Guild Cape (W.i.never)

StallordD

So with the new tools at our fingertips, I thought I'd finally get to work on an idea I had a LONG time ago.

kn7TeGl.jpg

The Corpus Guild Cape!

Now of course I decided to take the route for the creation that takes the most work. Work that I have literally zero idea how to do.

So with all the guidelines in mind, I set out to try and create something that would fit and got this.

6No1KzH.png

Eh, not the worst. Kinda "lego-y" but hey, Corpus in a nutshell, and I'm sure it would look decent with some actual textures on it.

And hey, it fits on frames pretty well (ignore the triangle count, it's incorrect in the next couple)

o9Rg1BS.png

So alright! Model is...eh. But let's get cracking on trying to texture!

...Except I'm about as equipped to make a UV map as I am to run a nuclear power plant.

mbclR71.png

I can barely figure out how the get the damn thing from overlapping everywhere, and couldn't understand how to normalize the UV so that some areas aren't 8-bit vomit quality while others are 4k super sharp.

In some attempts I figured out how to segment it properly at least...though warping is another topic...

m7eU6VC.png

And so after my recent attempts to normalize the face sizes on the actual cape resulted in me demolishing my UV AGAIN, I am now stuck with no idea how to proceed. Heck, I'm pretty sure that even if I DID know how, the next steps are beyond my grasp anyways.

So I'm mainly just posting this here as a way to vent my frustrations and to maybe get some pointers on how to proceed if I ever do.

Edited by StallordD

What did you make this in? UV'ing an object that like should be super easy as a good program would just, mostly, do it for you.

I made it in Maya, as my school had full licensed versions. Still couldn't figure out how to do it without weird deformations or anything. If you have tips, please share, I'm at a complete loss, haha.

I'm not too familiar with maya's modeling tools, they always felt too backwards to me.

But in max you would just select a type of mapping to "blow up" the UV, "box mapping" being the most common for shapes like these, then all you'd need to do is some tweaking and keeping the UV space equally distributed (everything having the same size checkerbox pattern on it as large differences in sizes means large differences in texture quality).