Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Exactly What Defines A "skin"?...

TehZee

Hi.. um... I feel kinda dumb for asking this...

But exactly what constitutes a skin with tennogen?

For example the Mag body template.. 

MagBody_AO.png
MagBody_Curve.png
MagBody_Diffuse.png
MagBody_Emis.png
MagBody_Mask.png
MagBody_Normal.png

Which of these do I need to recreate/rework?
CAN you create your own normal maps? Or are you limited to the default and just give it a new paint job?
(Presumably _Mask?)

And are Syandana/Capes different somehow?

I feel like this is probably rather straight forward, but I'm currently functioning on about 2 hours of sleep and my brain is bit scrambled, so having someone plainly spell it out for me would be a big help... I'm kind of excited about this so I'd rather know the details sooner rather than when I actually have a chance to sleep properly.

I work with Unity these days, and I was a Doom 3/UT2k4/Half-Life 2 modder back in the day... 
I'd love to have a shot at getting an idea of mine into something like Warframe... Just curious what my limitations are.

The maps you need in game are just the diffuse, emissive and normal.  The AO and curve maps are just used in a program like substance painter or designer from which you can extract your roughness, specular or metal maps.  I believe you may be able to create normal maps but for the time being just conform to the current models.

The maps you need in game are just the diffuse, emissive and normal.  The AO and curve maps are just used in a program like substance painter or designer from which you can extract your roughness, specular or metal maps.  I believe you may be able to create normal maps but for the time being just conform to the current models.

Aaaahhh, good to know, thank you... What of _Mask though?

I take it that's the route most people are going? (Which would fit some of the stuff I've seen..)

I.. actually prefer that to start out.. The only way I know how to make (good) normal maps is by baking high-poly to low-poly, and... I really don't have the time for that at the moment.. (Hence the 2 hours of sleep..)

Don't worry, I already covered most of the stupidity in this lovely little whinethread of mine.

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/550360-so-how-does-one-get-started-on-tennogen-skins/

egregiousRac gives some very good information.

Ooohhh, handy. Thanks.

.....I may need to re-read all that when my head is clearer..

Edited by TehZee

Normals don't have any direct impact on the mesh, so there's absolutely no reason you can't make one if you want to. The only real reason not to do it is you don't plan on making drastic changes or you don't know how to do it.

Aaaahhh, good to know, thank you... What of _Mask though?

I take it that's the route most people are going? (Which would fit some of the stuff I've seen..)

I.. actually prefer that to start out.. The only way I know how to make (good) normal maps is by baking high-poly to low-poly, and... I really don't have the time for that at the moment.. (Hence the 2 hours of sleep..)

Ooohhh, handy. Thanks.

.....I may need to re-read all that when my head is clearer..

Making a high poly model is really the only way to make a Normal I've ever heard of. So yeah, if you aren't willing to spend the time doing the high poly, it's not going to happen.

Edited by Ceryk

I know how normal maps work.

I actually have a college level education on the subject.. :P

It's more a matter of what tennogen will accept via the uploader that I'm not clear on... What's there for reference, and what's actually needed or accepted.

And it's indeed possible to create normal maps without high-poly baking... But your mileage will vary....

Using a tool like xNormal for example you can take 2D painted greyscale height maps and generate a normal map..
Also works with photos, but there's generally a lot of noise/banding unless you're REALLY good at it, and if you mess up on the light/shadow you can get some wonky results..

So, it can be done, do I advise it? Only for very minor, small scale things... Not something like this..