Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Steam Workshop Warframe Tennogen Tool

I would like to ask about the packing and inconsistencies in certain files and behavior of the TennoGen files given for the viewer. For example, some files have curvature maps, and Ambient Occlusion maps, but other do not. How do we know what is exactly needed for uploading the finished skin if there are such inconsistency between assets?

For example the Mantis skin file set comes with the normal Liset skins together in the zip file? There are Door maps but no "door" in the model to manipulate and apply maps too. The Tint mask for the Mantis skins does not seem to work, it just colors the whole model the 4th tint altogether last time I checked.

Second, will it be possible to include all official default helmets for the TennoGen files for players to create a pack of matching skins like the Prisma Excalibur pack? For example, for the Frost Warframe to include the default helmet, the Squall and Aurora helmet as well? I humbly beg for this feature so we can include the most customization possible for our skins.

Edited by Volkovyi

I would like to ask about the packing and inconsistencies in certain files and behavior of the TennoGen files given for the viewer. For example, some files have curvature maps, and Ambient Occlusion maps, but other do not. How do we know what is exactly needed for uploading the finished skin if there are such inconsistency between assets?

For example the Mantis skin file set comes with the normal Liset skins together in the zip file? There are Door maps but no "door" in the model to manipulate and apply maps too. The Tint mask for the Mantis skins does not seem to work, it just colors the whole model the 4th tint altogether last time I checked.

Second, will it be possible to include all official default helmets for the TennoGen files for players to create a pack of matching skins like the Prisma Excalibur pack? For example, for the Frost Warframe to include the default helmet, the Squall and Aurora helmet as well? I humbly beg for this feature so we can include the most customization possible for our skins.

The "Uploader*Example" series of files are meant to work in the Tennogen app.  The ones without that in the name are content files.  The AO and Curvature maps help you in the texturing process, they would not be part of a submission.  From what I see all the content files have an AO and Curvature, I might have missed some.  The files that are needed is covered in the texturing guide.

The landing craft use shared materials for the door, we will do not customize those (we have to tread carefully with bang for the buck on the loading screens).  

Mantis is a mask map (or ID map, or clown map, whichever terminology you prefer), not a tintmask.

We might be able to go into other helmets, but we likely need to examine the way that we handle the store.  We don't want an explosion of new, but very similar, stuff that makes the usability of the store and inventory decline.

The "Uploader*Example" series of files are meant to work in the Tennogen app.  The ones without that in the name are content files.  The AO and Curvature maps help you in the texturing process, they would not be part of a submission.  From what I see all the content files have an AO and Curvature, I might have missed some.  The files that are needed is covered in the texturing guide.

The landing craft use shared materials for the door, we will do not customize those (we have to tread carefully with bang for the buck on the loading screens).  

Mantis is a mask map (or ID map, or clown map, whichever terminology you prefer), not a tintmask.

We might be able to go into other helmets, but we likely need to examine the way that we handle the store.  We don't want an explosion of new, but very similar, stuff that makes the usability of the store and inventory decline.

If I might ask, what perhaps do you mean by "usability of the story and inventory decline?" It sounds like you are saying Steam limits how much content you have as an IP in the Workshop, is that true?

Or do you mean that content creators would just create skins on helmets alone, and thus we would have just a lot of helmets on vote because they are smaller and quicker to make?

If I might ask, what perhaps do you mean by "usability of the story and inventory decline?" It sounds like you are saying Steam limits how much content you have as an IP in the Workshop, is that true?

Or do you mean that content creators would just create skins on helmets alone, and thus we would have just a lot of helmets on vote because they are smaller and quicker to make?

I could be wrong, but i believe what DE_Kary tried to say is that they probably don't want tons of new helmets/skins which basically exist just to match each other. Few exceptions can be made but they still prefer a helmet that can blend nicely to any skin and skin that can blend nicely with any helmet.

I could be wrong, but i believe what DE_Kary tried to say is that they probably don't want tons of new helmets/skins which basically exist just to match each other. Few exceptions can be made but they still prefer a helmet that can blend nicely to any skin and skin that can blend nicely with any helmet.

Wouldn't that just limit the possible creativity of the artisans interested in TennoGen?

In the end, DE themselves have the vote on what gets accepted into Warframe and what does not. If there are a lot of copy-cat helmets or low quality attempts at matching certain helmets to other certain skins, or what have you, why be concerned with that when none of that has to be accepted?

If what you're saying is true, then as an artist I am not allowed to express my full creativity and passion for TennoGen on different helmets for my skin in a single pack, for fear of ....a lot of other content creators also just making a bunch of helmets?

I am afraid I do not follow this reasoning, perhaps if we were told what is the inspiration or desire DE is looking for in TennoGen?

Wouldn't that just limit the possible creativity of the artisans interested in TennoGen?

In the end, DE themselves have the vote on what gets accepted into Warframe and what does not. If there are a lot of copy-cat helmets or low quality attempts at matching certain helmets to other certain skins, or what have you, why be concerned with that when none of that has to be accepted?

If what you're saying is true, then as an artist I am not allowed to express my full creativity and passion for TennoGen on different helmets for my skin in a single pack, for fear of ....a lot of other content creators also just making a bunch of helmets?

I am afraid I do not follow this reasoning, perhaps if we were told what is the inspiration or desire DE is looking for in TennoGen?

This matter is actually covered on the quidelines 

Warframe Skins

Skinning for the name of the game!  These skins allow Tenno to heavily modify the look of their Warframes and unify their customization schemes in unique ways.  These skins only affect the bodies of the characters, but you should take the helmets into consideration as you are designing.  The Banshee example above has the blue tone relegated to a tertiary role in her alternate skin and the yellow trim is more dominant, but it still works with her helmet where the blue is more dominant and the yellow recedes.  We are looking for texture variants only, and are providing our raw baked textures to help you texture (AO, curve, normal, etc).  We have gathered some resources for how the maps work with our engine

Based on what stated above, a single creator needing to make a matching helmet to match a skin is already beyond the stated guidelines. The problem is actually very sensible on technical matter, game development requires different kind of creativity. They have limited freedom and have to work within the technical limit of the game. In this case each helmets counts as different helmets even if it's just a texture alteration. If we have 3 different helmets just to match a single skin like Prisma pack, the quantity can easily spike and it will be harder to manage. It certainly more practical to have alternate helmets/skins that can match any other helmets/skins.

For example: you bought 1 themed T-shirt and 1 similarly themed hat. You probably will have a hard time matching them with your other clothes, and it will take more space on your drawer. I only bought a 1 white t-shirt or white cap, i may look less fashioned but i won't have trouble matching them with my other clothes and it will take less space.

DE is certainly the one that has the final say, they can easily reject and they are very much free to contradict their own words/decisions. But still, understanding about this technical matter means more people will make more developer friendly skins/helmets that have higher chance of acceptance.

From what I understand, they'd like to keep each asset as unique as possible so this means limiting the number of things that get in the market.  This is also for visibility reasons.  If you have a lot of helmets to choose from, the chances of your submitted helmet getting bought are reduced.  Of course the really good ones will get a lot of sales, but then you have these other ones that may not get as much sells.  I guess its like market saturation, those extra helmets which aren't really getting good sales will just take up prime market space.

As for each helmet matching with the other helmets and default body, I think the aesthetic can still be very different just like the differences in the default skins and deluxe skins.  I think there are just some technical things that need to be considered like the size of the alt helmet when it goes on the default body.  It should still somewhat fit even though stylewise, the helmet and the body are different from each other.

Warframe Skins

Skinning for the name of the game!  These skins allow Tenno to heavily modify the look of their Warframes and unify their customization schemes in unique ways.  These skins only affect the bodies of the characters, but you should take the helmets into consideration as you are designing.  The Banshee example above has the blue tone relegated to a tertiary role in her alternate skin and the yellow trim is more dominant, but it still works with her helmet where the blue is more dominant and the yellow recedes.  We are looking for texture variants only, and are providing our raw baked textures to help you texture (AO, curve, normal, etc).  We have gathered some resources for how the maps work with our engine

Based on what stated above, a single creator needing to make a matching helmet to match a skin is already beyond the stated guidelines. The problem is actually very sensible on technical matter, game development requires different kind of creativity. They have limited freedom and have to work within the technical limit of the game. In this case each helmets counts as different helmets even if it's just a texture alteration. If we have 3 different helmets just to match a single skin like Prisma pack, the quantity can easily spike and it will be harder to manage. It certainly more practical to have alternate helmets/skins that can match any other helmets/skins.

For example: you bought 1 themed T-shirt and 1 similarly themed hat. You probably will have a hard time matching them with your other clothes, and it will take more space on your drawer. I only bought a 1 white t-shirt or white cap, i may look less fashioned but i won't have trouble matching them with my other clothes and it will take less space.

DE is certainly the one that has the final say, they can easily reject and they are very much free to contradict their own words/decisions. But still, understanding about this technical matter means more people will make more developer friendly skins/helmets that have higher chance of acceptance.

I see, I understand now. Thank you for explaining. I suppose I will alternate between creating completely unique skins and more vanilla-friendly skins.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, Im new to the tennogen thing and i have a few questions about it i have no clue how it works.

1. Do you have to pay for tennogen?

2. How do i get tennogen?

3. Does it require any installment?

4. If i make my own item and it becomes apart of the game do i have to buy it with real money?

I really plan on making some cool helmets and stuff but i really need help

Two major requests for the TennoGen Tool.

1) A master tint picker that effects ALL materials (ie, the body, and the helmet) So that we don't have to adjust each individually.

2) An actual color picker that allows us to numerically define colors. So Red 1 to 255, Blue 1 to 255, and Green 1 to 255.

Cheers.

1) A master tint picker that effects ALL materials (ie, the body, and the helmet) So that we don't have to adjust each individually.

2) An actual color picker that allows us to numerically define colors. So Red 1 to 255, Blue 1 to 255, and Green 1 to 255.

Cheers.

THIS. SO MUCH.

Cheers.

Pure logic right there.

Warframe Skins

Good conversation there and this is pretty much what we would come to as well.  We operate with a lot of constraints.  Some of which we might be able to ease up with time (as the UI gets iterated on perhaps having a huge wash of helmets won't be a problem, but it might well be hard to solve), but we work with what we know to be problems in mind.

Cheers.

Yep, we would very much like to do that, not sure when we would would be able to.

But DE already accepted submissions with helmet reskins in the first round. Why are we discussing this? Certainly, making alt helmets to be bundled with body reskins is a no-go, but default helmet reskins? Those were deemed to be acceptable. You guys are still accepting helmet textures along with body textures, right?

But DE already accepted submissions with helmet reskins in the first round. Why are we discussing this? Certainly, making alt helmets to be bundled with body reskins is a no-go, but default helmet reskins? Those were deemed to be acceptable. You guys are still accepting helmet textures along with body textures, right?

A reskinned helmet will still physically align with a default skin, and vice versa.

A fully remodeled helmet and matching skin might have issues with the helmet being incompatible with the default body, and the remodeled body being incompatible with standard alternative helmets.

As an example, there was a period where using the Proto-Excalibur helmet on the regular Excalibur body left a large chunk missing out of the neck.

Yep, we would very much like to do that, not sure when we would would be able to.

One way you might be able to accomplish this is by sharing the color values across a single .obj file since both helmet and body, while separate meshes, are part of the same file. I don't know WebGL though, so it may be way more complicated than I think.

Edited by alexmach1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, would this feature request be possible ? :

Since TennoGen is close to the actual rendering in-game, I think adding a module to test / preview Clan and Alliance Emblems would be really appreciated by a lot of people. If it's not possible or you want to keep things separated, please consider releasing a dedicated tool for that.