Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mag Rework - Polarity

Kinetos

Kinda inspired by 2 things.

1. Equinox and her form shifting.

2. Almost anything in Star Trek can be fixed by "reversing the polarity" it seems.

Passive

Polarized: when Mag is magnetic procced, her energy is set to 50% instead of 0%, gaining if it is lower and losing if it is higher, whatever, the end result is 50% energy.

Abilities

1. Reverse Polarity

Reverses Mag's polarity between North and South. When South polarity is active, energy color inverts. So my North Mag energy color would be blue and South would be yellow for example. For a few seconds after switching, Mag has accelerated shield regeneration with no delay.

2. Push and Pull

North: Pushes instead of the current Pull. So like current Sonic Boom.

South: The current Pull.

3. Repel and Attract

North: Like Ice Elemental Ward or Shatter Shield but without the aura, sends incoming damage back to attacker. Can cast on allies.

South: Similar to current Bullet Attractor. Applies a charge to an enemy, it absorbs damage into the target, if target dies before duration ends, it passes to the nearest enemy. Larger radius, like, about the size of a nullifier shield. Damage from incoming weapon fire is applied to all enemies within the attractor.

4. Reinforce and Crush

North: Mag reinforces the structural integrity of her allies. Team shield restore and armor buff. Additive, not based on Warframe armor value, so it will benefit low armored frames more than heavy armored ones as far as the increase in damage reduction they get.

South: Current Crush, but does finisher damage and survivors are ragdolled.

Edited by KinetosImpetus

You know, magnetic monopoles are impossible, so basically Mag ought to have both poles simultaneously.

And here it's S and N, not positive and negative.

2. Yeah, I just remembered that before you posted. Op edited.

1. She wouldn't be monopole, it would be like if one pole is connected to her and the other end is interacting with the world, and flipping the polarity flips the available effects. Like you can point either end of a bar magnet at something with the other end in your hand.

Edited by KinetosImpetus

Kinda inspired by 2 things.

1. Equinox and her form shifting.

2. Almost anything in Star Trek can be fixed by "reversing the polarity" it seems.

Passive

Polarized: when Mag is magnetic procced, her energy is set to 50% instead of 0%, gaining if it is lower and losing if it is higher, whatever, the end result is 50% energy.

Abilities

1. Reverse Polarity

Reverses Mag's polarity between North and South. When South polarity is active, energy color inverts. So my North Mag energy color would be blue and South would be yellow for example. For a few seconds after switching, Mag has accelerated shield regeneration with no delay.

2. Push and Pull

North: Pushes instead of the current Pull. So like current Sonic Boom.

South: The current Pull.

3. Repel and Attract

North: Like Ice Elemental Ward but without the aura, sends incoming damage back to attacker.

South: Similar to current Bullet Attractor. Applies a charge to an enemy, it absorbs damage into the target, if target dies before duration ends, it passes to the nearest enemy. Larger radius than current?

4. Reinforce and Crush

North: Mag reinforces the structural integrity of her allies. Team shield restore and armor buff. Additive, not based on Warframe armor value, so it will benefit low armored frames more than heavy armored ones as far as the increase in damage reduction they get.

South: Current Crush.

And remove Shield polarise? Are you serious?  

Mag has the only viable, scaling ability, in game. And you want to rip it out of her.

Whilst I like the majority of the ideas here, keep her shield polarise as it is, except, when facing opponents without shields. Have it use their armour percentage in place of their shields. And cause the enemy armour to explode on unshielded targets.

This one change alone will fix mag. Making her viable at any level, against any faction.

This girl needs some tender loving care, the nerf bat has her crying for LOVE!

Edited by (XB1)XETA3

I really like this idea. It weirdly fits the whole magnet-style and it gives a pretty big diversity to her kit.

Some people might see it as an equinox with a mag skin, but it makes a lot of sense

yeah, the similarity to Equinox gives me doubts, but maybe it's logical enough to still be ok.

I made a suggestion like this a while back. Can't seem to find the thread...

Oh well.

I agree that mag could use a polarity switch mechanic, however the last thing I want to see kept is bullet attractor. That ability is awful. Not that I want shield polarize to be as stupidly overpowered as it is now, but like it as an ability.

Edited by Rehtael7

And remove Shield polarise? Are you serious?

Mag has the only viable, scaling ability, in game. And you want to rip it out of her.

Whilst I like the majority of the ideas here, keep her shield polarise as it is, except, when facing opponents without shields. Have it use their armour percentage in place of their shields. And cause the enemy armour to explode on unshielded targets.

This one change alone will fix mag. Making her viable at any level, against any faction.

This girl needs some tender loving care, the nerf bat has her crying for LOVE!

Admittedly, I don't know the shield polarize ability very well, I just rebuilt a Mag and she isn't leveled yet, but I tried to base Reinforce on it a little. Perhaps Crush could do Finisher damage, or take damage from Mag's shield like Paralysis.

You know, magnetic monopoles are impossible, so basically Mag ought to have both poles simultaneously.

And here it's S and N, not positive and negative.

actually true monopole magnets are possible due to wibbily wobbly quantum stuff as well as afew other things, our sun recently became a monopole magnet for a short time during it's magnetic inversion.

and i'm sure we can suspend a little bit of physics because of the void energies that power us

I made a suggestion like this a while back. Can't seem to find the thread...

Oh well.

I agree that mag could use a polarity switch mechanic, however the last thing I want to see kept is bullet attractor. That ability is awful. Not that I want shield polarize to be as stupidly overpowered as it is now, but like it as an ability.

yeah that's why I tried to put a slightly different spin on attractor. Polarize I haven't used a lot. Recently reacquired a Mag, first time though I probably played vs infested mostly, because that's my favorite enemy faction, so I don't have experience with polarize, but it sounds like depending on faction, it's either worthless or op.

Edit: what if attract damaged every enemy in its radius instead of just the target it's attached to?

Edited by KinetosImpetus

Placing Equinox's concept to Mag seems a bit overwhelming for new players, I did dabble around with this idea before but when I think about it, this should have been Equinox's skill set.

The thing i dislike the most is the removal of shield polarize, one of the most powerful and infinitely scaling skills in the game. Looking at the skill set, I would just be playing a North mag 99% of the time as Bullet Attractor is too situational and Crush is pretty weak in general. 

But over all its a good idea +0.667 from me.

Edit: And for those who are interested in more Mag rework ideas... https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/552393-idea-mag-rework/ *cough* shameless self promotion *cough*

Edited by Agentawesome_

Placing Equinox's concept to Mag seems a bit overwhelming for new players, I did dabble around with this idea before but when I think about it, this should have been Equinox's skill set.

The thing i dislike the most is the removal of shield polarize, one of the most powerful and infinitely scaling skills in the game. Looking at the skill set, I would just be playing a North mag 99% of the time as Bullet Attractor is too situational and Crush is pretty weak in general.

But over all its a good idea +0.667 from me.

Edit: And for those who are interested in more Mag rework ideas... https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/552393-idea-mag-rework/ *cough* shameless self promotion *cough*

I know it's really similar to Equinox, I just can't imagine a different way to do polarity. The downsides to the current bullet attractor and Crush are why I propose the changes to them. Crush gets more damage and cc, and attract does way more damage via aoe to multiple targets. Like, cast attractor on a guy in the middle of a group, shoot the large bubble with Vectis/Opticor/Dread and the whole group takes full damage and dies.

• 2 months later...

What if you replace repel with sheild polarize? At that point you get best of both worlds.

Shield Polarize is unbalanced. It boosts defences and is a instant I Win button against 1 out of 4 factions, 1 of the remaining factions it remains partially useful, but the other 2 it does absolutely nothing. I can't think of any other offensive ability that literally does nothing to one faction and is a WMD to another, and I don't think there should be.

So,

1. SP is combined offense and defense, not fitting with the new theme, and

2. SP is extremely situational

So if it was in my concept, it wouldn't be the Shield Polarize everyone knows and loves/hates.

Reinforce/Crush takes its place. Reinforce is an enhanced version of shield polarize's defense aspect and Crush is enhanced. Crush and SP are both "boring radial nukes" as i call them, but they are useful, but does Mag really need 2 nukes?

Magnetic damage needs a rework.  It's pretty bad overall.  To make Mag more universal you'll have to make it's base element more universal.  Maybe a magnetic proc temporarily removes/reduces armor for a large chunk (as corrosive is permanent but smaller, but corrosive is also better across the board for damage bonuses)

With all the discussion of monopole, perhaps a passive as:

Dipole: When polarity is reversed,

(In North polarity, or shifting to South polarity) shields restoration and armor is increased a bit

(In South polarity) Proccing magnetic causes enemy shields/armor to explode (similar to shield polarize on what was procced on)

I like your polarized passive, but I'd prefer it as a mod in a similar way as Warm Coat or Aviator.

If i like the concept, this wouldn't be mag as we know her anymore. Like xeta3 said, she needs love, not aesthetical surgery.

The ideas are good though, maybe in another times, in a different context, and on another game they would have found their place.

Magnetic damage needs a rework. It's pretty bad overall. To make Mag more universal you'll have to make it's base element more universal. Maybe a magnetic proc temporarily removes/reduces armor for a large chunk (as corrosive is permanent but smaller, but corrosive is also better across the board for damage bonuses)

With all the discussion of monopole, perhaps a passive as:

Dipole: When polarity is reversed,

(In North polarity, or shifting to South polarity) shields restoration and armor is increased a bit

(In South polarity) Proccing magnetic causes enemy shields/armor to explode (similar to shield polarize on what was procced on)

I like your polarized passive, but I'd prefer it as a mod in a similar way as Warm Coat or Aviator.

Dipole doesn't look like a passive, it looks like a Revrrse Polarity augment.

If i like the concept, this wouldn't be mag as we know her anymore. Like xeta3 said, she needs love, not aesthetical surgery.

The ideas are good though, maybe in another times, in a different context, and on another game they would have found their place.

"some love" meaning return gpull to the utterly broken thing it used to be? Leave shield polarize where it is now, insanely good against Corpus and insanely bad against Grineer? Or maybe just buff it so it's a one press to kill anything button?

Some things you just can't fix and have to start over. Too much fiddling with the old thing and the whole thing is just covered in bandaids and duct tape. Better to start clean.

That's where I think Mag, maybe Limbo, and maybe even Trinity and Valkyr might be.