Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mag Skin - Take 2

Xinima

So I decided to work on the normal map first, to get a general feel for what's going on, and I learned how to paint the 3D model, so I have that going for me. Here is my progress:

qo5k32P.png?1

As it is still in the early stage, am looking for comments in criticisms to see what the Tenno Community would rather see. And of course, I can scrap it altogether if I'm missing the mark entirely. Leaving it up to the forums, 

UPDATE:

Worked on smoothing out the arms to make her flow a little better. Haven't made the helmet yet, but that is the next step. My drawing tablet is currently malfunctioning, but I think I can still pull this off, tablet or no tablet. Wish me luck!

As said, here is the latest version of my work. Don't mind the slight weirdness of the left arm. Don't know what malfunctioned, but that's not the important bit, since I only need the normals of the right arm.

c7dCydt.png

fSl8dqL.png

Update 2:

Just in case you wanted to see the helmet, just finished it up.

FRCDewv.png

Edited by Xinima

I like the body, but the arm looks like regular mag...try something different to match the body.

I will do that. A little difficult with the limited room, considering how her coils are pretty much ingrained on the arms, but I will see what can be done.

Your sculpt is great, but i can't help but feel that no amount of pretty skin mods will fix mag's ugly silhouette.

Actually, that gives me an idea. How far off the main 3D model can I stray for the normal map to still work properly?

If so, I could give her a major tune-up that will make her have less of an awkward shape. Don't know what I would do for the helmet though.

Actually, that gives me an idea. How far off the main 3D model can I stray for the normal map to still work properly?

If so, I could give her a major tune-up that will make her have less of an awkward shape. Don't know what I would do for the helmet though.

As far as i know, the rule is: You can't change the base mesh shape or UVs. The normals will be whatever you make them. So if you did change the base mesh shape you would just update your own normal map accordingly. 

I will do that. A little difficult with the limited room, considering how her coils are pretty much ingrained on the arms, but I will see what can be done.

I'm also working on a mag skin and this is pretty much it, any attempt I've made to try and hide the coils just looks shoddy since theyre part of the model :/

I'm also working on a mag skin and this is pretty much it, any attempt I've made to try and hide the coils just looks shoddy since theyre part of the model :/

Would take some serious effort, what program do you use? I've been using Mudbox, and I think repeatedly smoothing the mesh out and then adding more to it, only to smooth it again is starting to work. What have you tried so far?

As far as i know, the rule is: You can't change the base mesh shape or UVs. The normals will be whatever you make them. So if you did change the base mesh shape you would just update your own normal map accordingly. 

I haven't touched the base shape, essentially. So then I hope it would be acceptable. I will update my progress to see if I can get a Mag body that isn't as, clunky, almost.

Which program do i have to use for making my own mag please ? 

Whichever you want. For normals, you might want to use Autodesk Mudbox or Zbrush. Up to you, really! You can even do most of the texturing work in a 2D drawing program (I used Sai) if you want.