The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Reasons To Take Kubrow Over Sentinel ?

Puer_Stella

IMO Kubrow are a vanity item when it comes down to it, like cosmetics. Get them if you've got nothing else to do or really like the way they look, and don't mind being handicapped a bit (because let's face it, any companion you use other than Carrier Prime is a relative handicap). With maxed mods and Forma, they don't come close to Braton DPS, and their AI issues mean they won't be attacking very much anyway. They have more health than sentinels but die faster because of that AI. They also don't have Guardian, so they can help you if you're getting hit. Howl being used randomly is annoying and slows missions down, invisibility is neat but available from much better sources, and Sunika does technically "create" pickups, but inconsistently, and you can always just carry around gear restores.

I love them both but if I had to pick one I'd pick sentinels. I they are just easier to maintain and honestly I don't rely on my sentinel or kubrow to do the heavy lifting in game so when either go down it honestly doesn't affect my effectiveness. I've never once said dang it I have no kubrow or sentinel so now I'm screwed.

Notice how many anti-Kubrow posters have an extreme bias against them. This causes them to greatly exaggerate kubrow flaws, while ignoring any sentinel short comings.

It's called "insecurity".

In any case, Carrier will get you through loads of the game as a new player with good utility, solid damage, and virtually no upkeep. However, once you have the right mods ranked up and a few forma in, Kubrows really begin to shine. It's true their A.I./pathfinding needs work, but overall, putting the effort, time, and resources into a Kubrow is extremely rewarding (especially at higher levels where their higher durability becomes a factor).

I think the overwhelming support for sentinels and Carrier in particular comes from the fact that few people give their Kubrow a real chance. A 0-forma Kubrow with only 3-4 decent mods is absolutely inferior to other companions. They take lots of effort.

At the end of the day, it comes down to preference. Check out the sentinels, put a few forma into your Kubrow (Chesa is awesome, btw), and figure out which one you like the most. There is no "best," just whatever suits your playstyle.

Also, keep in mind...Katbrows are inbound.

2) Kubrows have FAR more health and shields than sentinels. 

Carrier Prime.

To the OP :

I suggesting leveling one Kubrow yu love alot (whatever type yu want) and then stasis it until yu can support it then crack it out. 

New players usually suffer with Kubrows (lack of mods lack of knowledge) and a main cause of distress is them dying when not fed.

I heard DE has plans for Kubrows in the near future, so I at least want a Kubrow ready for action at that point.

Edited by YasaiTsume

Get Huras, get Bite, Maul, Hunt maxed. Max height, bulky. Turn your dog into a nuclear warhead. 

Get the melee lifesteal along with proper durability mods, if you are a Melee frame, your warhead is unstoppable and is a good partner for T4 solos. 

Also can stick the Revive Shield mod and Animal Instinct and make your warhead a loot radar and mob protector so you can save your squadmate. 

But thats how I like my Kubrow.

Kubrows are only worth the effort in breeding the one you want if you are willing to forma and build it (that goes for anything in this game, of course a 0 forma Kubrow without proper mods isn't going to be good). As well more manageable  if you either plat the Foundry upgrade or farm the resources for it. It makes the costs to manage very easy (If you can't cough up 75,000 creds in 48 days time if you have a well developed loadout, somethings wrong), and also very easy to switch out Kubrows (10k cred stasis rushes). 

Once people say they don't like something, they put their fingers in their ears and go off on their own thought processes without seeing how something can be fun. I am open for anything. I just find Kubrows more enjoyable than Sentinels, but thats my personal preference. I don't even care about Carrier cause I like flying everywhere and picking up stuff myself. Each of the Kubrows have their own useful niche. 

Edited by PoopManZ

LOL @ kubrows dealing more damage.....

You would be surprised. I've had my huras(43% crit chance, 5.4 crit mult, 1954 damage)kill synthesis targets immediately with the charge. And then hide you(Probably to try to hide from Simaris)

Anyway, at max efficiency, you can make that 75K last 24 days, which goes to round about 3K per day. Or, a single void key every 3 days.

However, it's probably best to start with a sentinel, then once you upgrade the mods, which are more expensive(Bite, Maul) with the survability mods scaling of the frames,I'd personally advise trying kubrows again. But, different things for different people.

1 Kubrows are dumb, they spend most of the time running around and stuck in corners, as for their utility? chesa is nowhere near as good as a carrier, the doge that digs loot for you? yeah cute but that is not so helpful as it seems. The one single time that i was like "wow thats nice" was in a capture mission where a sunika immobilized the capture target on the ground, thats it.

2 Durability? a well modded sentinel will not die before wave 60 in a survival, and in a defense it goes as long as you do, not to mention the mod the restore your shield instantly, it will save you all the time, THAT is really helpful.

3 Sentinels have a more consistent dps, they keep shooting all the time on everyone, kubrow go with their dumb AI attacking enemies here and there when they feel like.

in the end, carrier > anything else

1. yeah the ai needs to be worked out not gonna lie but its not something you cant work with. As for chesa retrive mod yeah its useless use carrier. but for disarm only build :D oh man when you reach a level 170 bombard and your chesa disarms him thats a good feeling and then watch as your chesa come back to you while stepping on dead carriers along the way :P.

2. only times ive seen carrier last past an hour are people who actually micro manage then with either shield boosters trinities and invisible loki but doing all that just to keep carrier alive is worse and more effort than just picking up items your self oh and i forgot equipping the shot gun cause once a high level enemy sets its sights on that carrier......yeah that's right...carrier goes poof.

3. all the dps in the world is useless if carrier is dead.....all that damage goes poof along with carrier.

anyway all honesty though carrier is for newbies and lazy people try out carrier first keep in mind that kubrows take work to make them good. if your warframe isn't in top tier then don't expect your dog to be in top tier either keep that in mind. i say try out carrier first if your just starting out.

Edited by (PS4)wonderwoman814

Reason using Sentinels :

Carrier : Vaccum + Very Agressive Close Range Engangement (Infinite Weapon Clip FTW)

Shade : Stealth + No Shooting (No Weapon , Restealth just by Maglev around enemy)

Helios : Autoscan

Reason using Kubrows :

Leader Pack : Invincible Mutt as long you keep swinging

Scavenge Mod : dem lockers too stubborn for master thief, eat mah mutt paw!!

Sahasa : Dig (FREE ITAMZ OUTTA NOWHERE)

Chesa : Retrieve (Box Smashing Helper)

I used sentinels for the same reasons, i thought a kubrow was too expensive and annoying to take care of. Tried getting a few, got the shield one and the invisible one. Still didn't like them. Until one day, i hatched one just for fun and got the kubrow that can dig up stuff. I haven't used anything else since i got this guy (or girl, i never really checked). It seems like it always digs up 2-3 energy orbs right at the start of the mission (even during the arrival cutscene) and quite often during the mission. 

they can be much tougher, but I mainly use a mixture of both Kubrow and sentinel;

Helios for Scanning runs

Carrier Prime for Farming runs

Tango, my Huras Kubrow, for Spy missions

Bukow, my Sunika Kubrow, for general use.

just watch out for Chesa Kubrows...

exactly, i use them all. Its ridiculous to pigeon hole yourself. 

I dont get why people act like raising a Kubrow is a setback. 

exactly, i use them all. Its ridiculous to pigeon hole yourself. 

I dont get why people act like raising a Kubrow is a setback. 

It is NOT a setback.

But as someone raised earlier, Kubrows are in no way "Starter gear"

I think Kubrows should be unlocked at a later rank.

That or we end up with a bunch of dead kubrows.

You only plan to do the solar system and up to wave 20 void stuff? Bring a carrier.

You plan to do anything harder? Bring a Kubrow.

Pretty much how I roll with it. I prefer my dog, but when I'm doing faceroll content it doesn't matter which is used, so I choose a Carrier for ease of loot collection.

All in all, it doesn't matter which you bring. Just play whatever you like. If you don't like either, don't bring a companion. You don't have to, and TBH, it barely makes a difference in the end. They are cosmetics with a bonus. See it that way and it's not so stressful figuring out which companion is the "best" one.

Edited by Skwrl

for those saying sentinels have better survivability than kubrows...

numbars.

a standard Carrier with maxed out steel fiber, redirection and vitality has:

health: 640

shields: 375

armor: 105

and carrier prime with maxed out steel fiber, redirection and vitality:

health: 1280

shields: 375

armor: 315

really, at this time carrier prime is an outlier when it comes to health which i find most interesting and does come with a decent survivability compared to the rest of sentinels which crumple like wet paper cups when under pressure...

as for kubrows... they're survivability is harder to quantify...

with no mods on frame or raksa kubrow @ 30:

health: 604

shield: 310

armor: 50

now with kubrow mods in (link health, link shield, link armor) but none on frame that changes to:

health: 832.5~1080 (loki lowest to zephyr highest)

shields: 547.5~795  (loki lowest to zephyr/volt prime highest)

armor: 66.5~710      (banshee lowest to valkyr highest)

and we haven't even thrown in the possibility of redirection, vitality or steel fiber...

and this is not including the newly added kavasa prime collar which adds an aditional 100 armor, 10 shields and what seems to be 19 health. the basic point being with maxed out mods, a kubrow has higher health, shield and/or armor than every non-prime sentinel.

TLDR; version

with both having maxed health mods, shield mods and armor mods on both... kubrows win.

on top of being revivable... kubrows have about 30-70% more health, about 45-112% more shields, and anywhere from 63% to 676% the armor of a non-prime sentinel depending on which frame you're using with no vitality, redirection or steel fiber on, not including the kavasa collar.

I like how some people talk about survivability without considering the way the AI in the game acts.

At least Sentinels do not actively throw themselves at the enemy, and have a lower threat rating than the owner themselves, hence increasing their survivability by a huge ratio in compared to a Kubrow that actively tries to kill that Bombard.

The only time a Sentinel actually dies is when the owner themselves are throwing themselves into danger, and most of the case, it is unlikely it will happen.

Kubrows on the other hand, are programmed based on their Trait to either, suicide run into enemies, stay near their owner, or run around at random times picking up items. (thus justifying the need for a tougher defense)

So, until DE actually tweaks Kubrows or the way Kubrows act, AS WELL AS, the way enemy AI give threat ratings to our allies and companions, I am willing to say that a Sentinel sitting on top their Owner is going to outlast a Kubrow. (provided the owner isn't a suicidal melee fanatic)

Overall, Kubrows are more costly, but their usefulness IN COMBAT justifies it, while Sentinels are cheaper, no need for maintainence, but if yur gonna count on that Sentinel to last through an intense fire fight without any protection or effort to protect it, it's gonna die until yu decide to suicide to bring it back with yur own revive.