Temporary sub-forum for Update 30: Call of the Tempestarii ×

Infested Syandana (Lamprid: Now On The Steam Workshop)

tumblr_nx66hvDBfi1qdt0m6o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nx66ffCZaI1qdt0m6o1_1280.jpg

Second pass with feedback in mind. Focused a lot on creating a more cohesive flow and something that will fit the guidelines better. Thanks again! And I'm glad you guys are liking it so far :D

IMO I think that it looks a bit too flat. I'd make some tentacles curve forward/backwards so it looks as good from the side.

You could also experiment on how the infested mass grips your Warframe.

Edited by Lukap99

IMO I think that it looks a bit too flat. I'd make some tentacles curve forward/backwards so it looks as good from the side.

You could also experiment on how the infested mass grips your Warframe.

The only way a Syandana can attach to a Warframe right now is with a "wedge" shape on the model, as per the guidelines. I considered adding more structure under there, like maybe some creeping tendrils that bulge out right at the attachment point, but I decided to favor versatility over drawing out the design. The model is flat so that it can be rigged easily (I really want the whole thing to move!) 

I'm thinking about making a test rig in Maya just to give some suggestions on how the thing could move. I definitely want it to curve around the character a bit more if possible! Thanks for the comments, I agree with them but favored a different approach.

The only way a Syandana can attach to a Warframe right now is with a "wedge" shape on the model, as per the guidelines. I considered adding more structure under there, like maybe some creeping tendrils that bulge out right at the attachment point, but I decided to favor versatility over drawing out the design. The model is flat so that it can be rigged easily (I really want the whole thing to move!) 

I'm thinking about making a test rig in Maya just to give some suggestions on how the thing could move. I definitely want it to curve around the character a bit more if possible! Thanks for the comments, I agree with them but favored a different approach.

Huh, I didn't know the "wedge" thing was in the guidelines.

It's a bit late to say at this point in development, but if you're going to tweak the silhouette anymore, make sure to keep in mind how it affects the silhouette of the Warframe.

Anyway, don't mistake my nitpicking for dislike, this syandana is practically indistinguishable from official game quality! Good luck winning next round!

Edited by Lukap99

Very gribbly, it doesn't replace the Illiac but it looks like it cool have a lot of potential. If the main grounding point of the infested tentacle syandana here allows movement of the rest of the rest of the tentacles and such to swing back and forth, it would be pretty cool. Looks like it would be very neat for some warframes like Saryn or Chroma. Love to see what other cosmetics might work with it.

Syncrasis, how do you feel about making the synadana more intereactive, like it is curled up on your back normally but when you kill or channel energy, it unfurls like in your presented form. You could explain it as recting to the presence of blood and energy.

What do you think?

Looking awesome so far. This is an awesome example of the super cool things this community can do.

As a side question do you think DE will change the sound effects it makes when it moves? I know the cloth ones make fabric noise but what if this made squishy noises while you moved about?

Huh, I didn't know the "wedge" thing was in the guidelines.

It's a bit late to say at this point in development, but if you're going to tweak the silhouette anymore, make sure to keep in mind how it affects the silhouette of the Warframe.

Anyway, don't mistake my nitpicking for dislike, this syandana is practically indistinguishable from official game quality! Good luck winning next round!

Ahh no worries, I appreciate crits any time in the process even when it's too late to act on them. 

The piece itself is a bit smaller than it seems and doesn't interact much with the player silhouette from front angles, besides the tall tentacles (which I really wanted to mimic Alad's tentacle things there), and the ends of the tail and side tentacles. I think it flows nicely from the back, I'm not sure about the side angle though. Still banking on posing or animation to make that come together. I think I'll throw it into Maya tomorrow and have a go at some test poses.

Very gribbly, it doesn't replace the Illiac but it looks like it cool have a lot of potential. If the main grounding point of the infested tentacle syandana here allows movement of the rest of the rest of the tentacles and such to swing back and forth, it would be pretty cool. Looks like it would be very neat for some warframes like Saryn or Chroma. Love to see what other cosmetics might work with it.

Man I want this on my Nekros real bad hahaha

Yeah, I took a look at a few of the infested weapons today for some inspiration and noticed the Paracyst has a lot more moving parts than I remember, lots of twitchy and heartbeat-like movements even when holstered. Excited to see what they do with mine, if they decide to animate it!

Syncrasis, how do you feel about making the synadana more intereactive, like it is curled up on your back normally but when you kill or channel energy, it unfurls like in your presented form. You could explain it as recting to the presence of blood and energy.

What do you think?

Hmm, yeah I guess a few of the pieces do look like they could fold up at least, not sure about curling tho. I'll give it a try with a simple animation rig tomorrow.

Looking awesome so far. This is an awesome example of the super cool things this community can do.

As a side question do you think DE will change the sound effects it makes when it moves? I know the cloth ones make fabric noise but what if this made squishy noises while you moved about?

Aw thanks so much!!

I'd love for it to make squishy sounds yes * - * 

So like another effect that I think would be cool as heck would be for the seavent-looking bit to emit some particle spores or something, I might be asking too much at this point though hahaha

tumblr_nxuoy7GZgZ1qdt0m6o1_1280.jpg
Here we are in-editor with some test tintmask colors. Something that's been really bugging me is how flat the emissive colors look, I thought they'd retain more of the AO from the albedo. Final polygon count is actually 6970

tumblr_nxuoy7GZgZ1qdt0m6o5_1280.jpg
Here's a bunch of test colors in Marmoset! Far left is the actual tintmask (with emissive and alpha channel turned white)

tumblr_nxuoy7GZgZ1qdt0m6o6_1280.jpg
Backside (frontside...?)

tumblr_nxuoy7GZgZ1qdt0m6o3_1280.jpg
And here is what my wireframe look like.

Edited by Syncrasis

this thing kinda blows DE's infested syandana out of the water. WHEN you do win you should start making and armor set to go with it to preserve your dominance.  Then when the steam workshop includes armors, you'll be ready (im assuming eventually they will allow armor submissions)

movement_test_zpsfukjj5pz.gif

Messing around with an IK handle. Ok I'm convinced this will work, let's get it up in the workshop already!

Holy molly, it looks like it even has the built in feature to scratch your @$$ during combat. :)

Edited by S0V3REiGN

The organic forms in this are really awesome man! Possible suggestions, accent some of the forms with a dust and grime feel. Looks sticky, so id imagine things would very much cling to it.  The addition of color variations would break up the almost too even feel of the colors and should make the forms pop a bit more IMO.  VERY awesome though!