Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tennogen: War-Torn Tenno Cape (Wip) [Updated Nov. 8]

Ailith

=====

UPDATE (Nov. 8): Finally have some model progress, though it's just a basic shape so far. But, given my complete lack of experience in Blender, I'd say it's worthy of showing off (ignore that it phases through Excal's arm). Still need to make the 'scarf' bit, distress the cape, fix various issues, and make the texture. The most difficult thing so far has been finding the options to do things more efficiently.

Oh, and after seeing the new Saryn skin and how it clips with literally everything, I've decided to stick to the original design. I'll still try to make room on the open shoulder for armor bits. And speaking of which, I just realized that I made it on the wrong shoulder, so I'll need to flip the whole thing. Whoops... -_-

======

I'm sure somewhere out there some fellow Tenno has created a design similar to this, but this is my version of a 'cape' that I'd like to see in Warframe. Hopefully, I'll have enough motivation to model it out and get it on the Workshop. c_c

The intent is that it's a ceremonial cape of sorts and that the wearer had a rather...exciting outing. It looks to fit rather loosely, but I imagine the little Lotus emblems as being magnetic or adhesive in some way and simply 'stick' to the Warframe. I might go over this again and add more details and actual lighting (more as a reference for the model than anything), but for now it's just flat colors.

Version 1 (ORIGINAL)
warframe_torn_cape_1__wip__by_noisrevort

Model progress

warframe_cape_progress_1_by_noisrevortni

Alternate designs

Version 3 ('single' shoulder)

-I actually drew it a bit too high up, but the idea is that it 'hangs' on the side of the shoulder, meaning it should be out of the way of most armors. Hangs much lower/more freely than the original, frames like Trinity shouldn't have an issue.

warframe_torn_cape_3__wip__by_noisrevort

Version 2 (shoulder-mounted)

-Sort of counter-productive, in a sense, but the emblems could serve as bases for emblem attachments (replacing the standard projector doodad). And, assuming the cloth can be made to ignore armor (no collisions), it could also just fit into larger armor pieces (not sure how bad that'd look). Should also hang a bit lower/more freely, allowing for frames like Trinity to be less effected in a negative way. Not really sold on this one myself, just exploring other ideas.

warframe_torn_cape_2__wip__by_noisrevort

Edited by Ailith

This wouldn't work well with a number of Warframes - i.e., how would this fit around Saryn's shoulder things?

Being an avid Saryn player, that was one of my first thoughts when I started working on this. Originally, it was actually going to be a 'half' cape, meaning it only hung over one shoulder, but I wanted it to wrap around the frame to some degree and give off more of a rugged, 'duster' feel (which could still work with only one shoulder). I also didn't really want to have a single emblem magically hanging there as the only anchor point, even if it were magnetic.

So, it evolved into a full-sized ripped cape with a large, open neck area to try and accommodate bulkier frames like Saryn (and the weird collisions around most frames' necks). I'll only really know how it works out once I start making the model, but if worse comes to worst, I'll go back to my original, single-shoulder design.

Edit: I guess another point of contention would be armor bits like Banshee's shoulder and the fact that Nikana's are holstered on the left hip. Might need to flip the whole thing just to avoid those clipping issues, but then single pistols are also covered by the cape (which can either be a good or a bad thing).

Edited by Ailith

What about attached shoulder pieces? As much as some of them aren't big. Also, Banshee.

Mentioned this in a previous reply that it might be an issue, though I've been messing around in Blender (making it on the opposite shoulder than my concept) and it looks like it'll probably fit around the larger shoulder armors like the Harkonar set and Banshee's base armor.

An understandable gripe, but, to be fair, a number of Syandana don't work well with some frames. This simply wouldn't be a good one to use for Saryn.

This is also a good point, some existing syandanas just don't work with certain frames, and those are designed by DE. Surely they'll take that into consideration with fan submissions as well, right?

In any case, I think I'll doodle up another reference tomorrow with some design tweaks and get feedback on that before I continue modelling.

Edited by Ailith

An understandable gripe, but, to be fair, a number of Syandana don't work well with some frames. This simply wouldn't be a good one to use for Saryn.

Can you give examples and visual reference, because there's a bit of a difference between "it doesn't look like it fits" and "the design of the Syandana just is impossible to fit on certain frames because of the model" and I can't say I've seen any Syandanas that have the issues I see this one having.

Can you give examples and visual reference, because there's a bit of a difference between "it doesn't look like it fits" and "the design of the Syandana just is impossible to fit on certain frames because of the model" and I can't say I've seen any Syandanas that have the issues I see this one having.

Hydroids bulky mass causes clipping on some Syandana. At least on consoles anyway.

Also something people seem to forget is that with a lot of frames you can remove the shoulder pieces. You remove Banshees shoulder piece. You can remove Ember Primes. Not sure about Saryn, but again, it just wouldn't be a good one to use with her. If this were to be implemented you'd just have to choose between wanting cool shoulder pads or a badass Syandana.

Trinity and Nova have glaring issues with most syandanas, they either clip into their back pieces or stick out awkwardly from them. Even Nyx has this problem to a minor degree to due to the 'spines' on her back; for example, the Vanquished syandana just kinda sits in the top spine and looks really weird.

Granted, those just look janky and don't actually overlap armor areas, but (again) I'll try to accommodate them. Personally, I'd be perfectly fine with not being able to wear one shoulder plate if it meant having an awesome cape and I'm sure a lot of people would agree (workshop votes will be the determining factor), but you can't please everyone and that's just reality.