Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Discussion About Being 'overpowered'

Impact6

I'm just thinking out loud here, but can being overpowered be considered a playstyle? I'm not bashing or anything, I genuinely, regarding the topic here, ask myself this question now.

Playstyle: the manner in which someone plays.

Overpowered: something having more power than needed.

Is there still a game to play when you're overpowered? Or are nice visual effects that tell you you just killed a group of enemies all that people that enjoy overpoweredness crave for? I know I like it, but it isn't what keeps me playing.

edit: thanks for the posts, i gained some new insights.

Edited by Impact6

Well, I think that being overpowered can give a certain satisfaction. However you will need a good definition of being overpowered. If it means that you can handle things with ease because you're almost out of game content to play, maybe you're in need of something else. Since you know the game's mechanics etc. The solution would be for the developers to add extra content which is even more difficult.

What wouldn't be the solution is to tear down the power of the equipment. This level of equipment brought you to where you are now and making it less powerful would be denying the chances of newer players.

I think being overpowered can work in a game where the objective ISN'T just to complete a certain objective but rather to complete that objective under certain conditions - not be hit, kill everyone in under a certain time limit, ect. MGR:R I think would be a good example of that, you're incredibly powerful compared to non-boss mooks you fight but you're objective for dealing with them, ultimately, is to get a perfect S rank.

Warframe doesn't follow that kind of Japanese-style "get a certain rank in these mission" gameplay, it's very much the class quest-objective-completion that western games have. Because of that, the challenge isn't "use your overpowered abilities to the greatest effect" like it is in MGR, it's simply "survive through the trials and complete the objectives" and because of that the objectives and trials NEED to be challenging; and if you're Overpowered then that simply doesn't work.

There's ALWAYS room for enjoying overpoweredness in games like that, I like to $&*^ around on Mercury from time to time like I liked to solo RFC on my DK, but as the CORE gameplay? No, the enjoyment comes from the challenge of completion.

The term overpowered is subjective, and can be associates with a players play style. You could have half levels gear and kill everything on earth and call yourself overpowered. Or you can one shot level 90s and call yourself overpowered. Rather than a play style, it can be more of a preference.

Now, in a game like warframe, while it's fun to play on your own for a challenge, warframe also rewards teamed by increased spawns and increased loot. Where the game currently stands, you can get away with one good strong player, and everyone gets the loot. Is that one player overpowered, probably. But it's their chosen play style. So it can also be a play style, your not wrong op.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to be the most powerful, but I feel like it may be wrong if it takes away the fun for other. See old Mesa pm here. Games like those which could be fun, put me to sleep, literally with nothing to do. I think that's what DE is after, but not alot of players understand that. It's hard to create something to be fun, and immensely powerful, but not take away from everyone else. It really is a challenge. Look at the Saryn rework. Alot of Saryn players don't want their low duration taken away, but the devs are reworking her to be as powerful as possible, and benefit from a duration build, so that players can use her to do more than spam her ult, and can even buff the team. It's a real challenge to make these things work, and not alot of players understand. Rather, they complain about how their favorite thing can't solo anymore, and how they need to work as a team now.